Strange toenail on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtech770

Reaction score
Greetings.

A client of mine texted me about a weird bruise on her toenail. Out of concern, I inquired as to what happened. She said she cut her cuticle and it started bleeding and proceeded to inquire if I can still perform my services. Nonetheless, this looks like it is on the nail bed and not a cuticle cut at all. Correct me if I am wrong here. I am worried this is some type of infection, or perhaps she punctured a hole in the toenail while using nippers on herself? I find it bizarre she would text me this if she thought it was merely a torn cuticle. Would you turn away this client, or redirect her to a pediatrist?

Best!

Attachments

• tempImage36dxas.png
    tempImage36dxas.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 223
It's clearly damaged somehow, I wouldn't be putting anything over the damage but would perform pedicure without polish/gel polish.

It's clearly damaged somehow, I wouldn't be putting anything over the damage but would perform pedicure without polish/gel polish.

Thank you. I saw her yesterday evening. It looks like she nipped a hole in her pinky toenail while cutting her cuticles with nippers. She is quite a good client but she was not fussy when I refused to paint them. I told her that I will take care of it with a basic pedicure without any polish so it will grow back good as new by open toe season. She is extremely lucky she did this to her pinky toe and not her big toe, as those big suckers take an extremely long time to get back in.

I am noticing quite an extraordinary amount of clients behaving strangely during this time. It was such a bizarre text.

Greetings.

Has anyone noticed customers acting extra bizarrely during this time? I am talking about extremely good customers, as well!

The other day, I received a text message from a client who seemed to pick at her toenail. I was concerned about seeing her because she seemed erratic on the phone, searching for ways I can fix it when quite frankly, it needs to grow out. I have also been getting quite a bit of erratic messages on social media asking questions about services which seem a bit obsessive. These are people I worked with for a long time, so I am wondering if it is related to this so-called "new normal." Have you noticed customers' acting a bit odd these days?

Greetings.

Has anyone noticed customers acting extra bizarrely during this time? I am talking about extremely good customers, as well!

The other day, I received a text message from a client who seemed to pick at her toenail. I was concerned about seeing her because she seemed erratic on the phone, searching for ways I can fix it when quite frankly, it needs to grow out. I have also been getting quite a bit of erratic messages on social media asking questions about services which seem a bit obsessive. These are people I worked with for a long time, so I am wondering if it is related to this so-called "new normal." Have you noticed customers' acting a bit odd these days?
I think people are just stressing more over things they normally wouldn't bother too much about, as they have more time to think! Be that because they are off work, out of work, or perhaps just because they cannot fill their time with activities they would normally do. I do think more people are attempting 'at home' procedures, whether that's home colours, home manicures, gels, etc..... with varying results! They seem to think it's going fine until something linke this happens, then they decide they need our expertise! Difficult all round though, when we're closed more than open! I'm closed again... was allowed to open 7 days in Dec.🙈

As a Podiatrist it would be unethical to speculate as to what this could be, without a lot more information.

May I suggest you advise this lady to see a Podiatrist?

HTH

I think people are just stressing more over things they normally wouldn't bother too much about, as they have more time to think! Be that because they are off work, out of work, or perhaps just because they cannot fill their time with activities they would normally do. I do think more people are attempting 'at home' procedures, whether that's home colours, home manicures, gels, etc..... with varying results! They seem to think it's going fine until something linke this happens, then they decide they need our expertise! Difficult all round though, when we're closed more than open! I'm closed again... was allowed to open 7 days in Dec.🙈

Oh, dear! I have noticed this quite a bit too.

As a Podiatrist it would be unethical to speculate as to what this could be, without a lot more information.

May I suggest you advise this lady to see a Podiatrist?

HTH

I had told her to check in with a podiatrist for a medical diagnosis. I am but a mere nail tech! I would never give out medical advice.

It looks like she has penetrated the nail bed with something.
When I did my first training course in nails, we paired up to practice on each other. When it came to practicing acrylic extensions removal the girl doing my nails tried to scrape off the product with an orange stick after soaking the nails in acetone and pushed the orange stick so hard she penetrated my nail bed. The result looked just like the picture you have attached.
It had to grow out but she had damaged the nailbed as well as the nail and although it has healed I have a verticle line on my nailplate from the level of the damage to the free edge that can occasionally split if my nails get dry at all.
The damage was originally in the centre of the middle fingernail but as my nail grew it moved outwards to about 2mm from the side of my nail.

It looks like she has penetrated the nail bed with something.
When I did my first training course in nails, we paired up to practice on each other. When it came to practicing acrylic extensions removal the girl doing my nails tried to scrape off the product with an orange stick after soaking the nails in acetone and pushed the orange stick so hard she penetrated my nail bed. The result looked just like the picture you have attached.
It had to grow out but she had damaged the nailbed as well as the nail and although it has healed I have a verticle line on my nailplate from the level of the damage to the free edge that can occasionally split if my nails get dry at all.
The damage was originally in the centre of the middle fingernail but as my nail grew it moved outwards to about 2mm from the side of my nail.

Oof! Poor girl. I have to wonder now if I can paint over it but sounds like the paint will chip away.

Latest posts

Back