Strange waxing reaction !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAX inc

Reaction score
One of my regular customers had her usual leg wax yesterday by my junior therapist. Client came back today to show me her leg, iv never seen anything like it before. A huge red patch on the back of her thigh, warm to the touch. Doesn't look like a burn, not scabby at all, not bruised, not shiney just traces of the skin peeling very slightly around the edge of the red patch ? any ideas anyone ?

Sounds like the skin was ready to come off and the waxing helped it along a bit? Had she been on a sunbed or in the sun? Could it have been an area she had sun burned prior Which was ready to peel? :-/

Wax too cold when applied?? Was it roller or spatula?

Caroline xx

That's what I asked her because her arms peeled slightly when I waxed them and she said it was prob the sun so I thought nothing more of it but I did a Brazilian for her after my junior did her leg wax and her skin wasn't red at that point, I'm concerned why it's so red today.?

Ooooooo it could of been too cold as the timer had switched off and my therapist didn't notice. I didn't think too cold wax would cause a prob ?

It was spatula

I would think the wax was too cold as well. I think there are more mishaps with wax that is too cold than wax that is too hot. Could also be that she hasn't stretched the skin properly on the back of the thigh.
If the timer had switched off then I would think it was the wax that was too cold.

Too cold makes sense then, why is the skin bright red though, it almost looks like sunburn? ahhh my receptionist just told me she went in our toilet to wash off her suncream before I spoke to her so I'm guessing she has been sunbathing today and has burnt her newly waxed skin ?

I would say the wax was too cold aswell. I had a bikini wax recently where the wax was too cold and the skin did peel for a few days, but it wasn't red or uncomfortable, but then again I certainly wasn't trying to tan THAT area the day after (or any day for that matter)!!!

I only know this as its happened to me when I got my hubby to wax me. Silly me lol!!
He used my roller & it wasnt quite hot enough. It didnt hurt at the time but the next day I had as you described red marks with peeling skin around them!
They did take a while to go down.
I also personally feel that washing directly before waxing isnt a great idea. I can't explain why as I don't know why but my legs are always harder to wax if I have got out of the bath recently.

Caroline xx

Excuse my ignorance but why does wax that is too cold cause a problem? I can see why too hot wax would but not would love to understand the cold? :o

I agree with Ange - a combination of wax too cool and skin not stretched properly. Thighs are the most likely area for this to happen. It's happened to me (esp when I wax myself:lol:)

Reddyreddy - when the wax is too cool, it's too thick and sticks to the skin and just pulls the skin.

Too cold makes sense then, why is the skin bright red though, it almost looks like sunburn? ahhh my receptionist just told me she went in our toilet to wash off her suncream before I spoke to her so I'm guessing she has been sunbathing today and has burnt her newly waxed skin ?

Was she given aftercare advice? if so, she may need to extend the time before apply creams, going in sun etc, if her skin is proving to be this sensitive.

Thankyou ladies, iv never had a cold wax experience so it's all new to me, im loosing confidence in my newly qualified NVQ3 therapist as its my first complaint. What do they teach them at college ? I learnt more on a one day course with Kim lawless.

Latest posts

Back