Stress causing itchy scalp and hair loss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a mobile hairdresser and struggling with what to recommend to my friend, she lost her mum suddenly last month and since then has suffered with itchy scalp, oily hair and hair loss, I’ve thought Nioxin might help but I don’t know much about it, she uses cheap shampoo’s which I’ve told her off about on many occasions, and tried Olaplex on her hair previously but she didn’t like the feel of it, her hair is coloured (semi) and washes it nearly every day!
has anyone got any suggestions on what to use for this combination of problems? Thanks

Hi, I’m a mobile hairdresser and struggling with what to recommend to my friend, she lost her mum suddenly last month and since then has suffered with itchy scalp, oily hair and hair loss, I’ve thought Nioxin might help but I don’t know much about it, she uses cheap shampoo’s which I’ve told her off about on many occasions, and tried Olaplex on her hair previously but she didn’t like the feel of it, her hair is coloured (semi) and washes it nearly every day!
has anyone got any suggestions on what to use for this combination of problems? Thanks
The itchyness could be caused by the overproduction of sebum, and a build up of dead skin.
If there is a build up on the scalp this can can cause follicle clogging and reduce hair growth.
Nioxin is a good choice, as long as she doesn't have psoriasis otherwise she won't thank you!
I feel nioxin may be out of your clients price range thoughif she's only spending <£10 on shampoo at the moment.
Nioxin works by lifting away dead skin, balancing the sebum production and creating a clean living space for the follicles.
Think of a lovely green lawn. (scalp)
Then you set up a tent on the lawn + chairs + bbq + paddling pool etc (dead skin)
Now imagine a dog has pooped all over the remainder of the lawn..... (dirt + oil)
Now its virtually impossible for the grass to grow to its best potential, until the poop is cleaned up, until the pool, tent, chairs etc is all put away to allow the grass to breathe.

Sounds like she needs something to reset her scalp.
Price nioxin up and see if she's happy to spend that much, she has to be aware that it's cosmetic so the effects will deplete after she's stopped using it.

Cheaper options, which are good scalp shampoos are :
Tigi bed head reboot shampoo
Muk haircare oily scalp shampoo
Kitok age prevent cleanser and balm
Morphosis Balance shampoo

OMG I am cry with laughter at that analogy 🤣🤣 but brilliant way to describe what’s going on 👍🏻 Thank you, I’ll look up those others too as not heard of some of them, amazing advice as always 🙏🏻

Washing her hair every day will dry her hair whilst overstimulating the oil glands so greasy hair and dry scalp. Great shampoo recommendations from Ronray. I would also advise she tries to wash her hair less and dilute the shampoo and gentle massage her scalp but not over stimulate it. A cold rinse would be good to finish and cold water is a great way to destress not only your scalp but cold water therapy is also a fantastic stress buster.

Itchy scalp and hair loss are also stress related symptoms. I don’t think spending a fortune on hair products will help initially although it’s always a good thing to use good shampoo not the cheap stuff. Tell your friend to get some vitamins, biotin, vitamin A B D
and zinc There are quite a few hair & nails vitamins on the market which will help give her system a boost.
Also a good haircut - if her hair is long advise on going a bit shorter to give her hair the chance to grow back strong and healthy. A few soft highlights won’t harm and may make her feel a bit better too if she’s feeling down and needs a boost.
I found taking magnesium too helps anxiety/stress. Loosing her mum is obviously a shock and she just needs a bit of time and healing - often people go on auto pilot and don’t eat as well in times of stress so tell her to try and eat regularly even if she doesn’t feel like it, a boiled egg, a piece of fruit, and cut down in any coffee/tea.
Hope that helps and she’s ok

My friend is going through something very similar. She's lost her Mum, then her Dad. Didn't deal with them. She has a multitude of medical conditions and needs personal care. She spent four months last year in hospital, three induced comas, three attempts at a tracheostomy and the third worked. The stress has taken it's toll for sure. She lost pretty much all of her hair on top and had it cut into a short bob initially. Since then, three months later, she took off her bandana and I was amazed how much it has grown back. She has a Pixie cut now. I also recommended Nioxin, but she's used it once before when she had alopecia and says it didn't work for her. She also thought of transplants but I told her that was too drastic. The links I sent her were Nioxin, a trichologist, and healthy eating. Everything basically comes down to healthy eating first. The trichologist recommends looking at that first. Tell your friend not all is lost. Stress has to show its face somehow and sometimes in with hair loss. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I wish her well x

Itchy scalp and hair loss are also stress related symptoms. I don’t think spending a fortune on hair products will help initially although it’s always a good thing to use good shampoo not the cheap stuff. Tell your friend to get some vitamins, biotin, vitamin A B D
and zinc There are quite a few hair & nails vitamins on the market which will help give her system a boost.
Also a good haircut - if her hair is long advise on going a bit shorter to give her hair the chance to grow back strong and healthy. A few soft highlights won’t harm and may make her feel a bit better too if she’s feeling down and needs a boost.
I found taking magnesium too helps anxiety/stress. Loosing her mum is obviously a shock and she just needs a bit of time and healing - often people go on auto pilot and don’t eat as well in times of stress so tell her to try and eat regularly even if she doesn’t feel like it, a boiled egg, a piece of fruit, and cut down in any coffee/tea.
Hope that helps and she’s ok
Yes thank you, bit of self tlc I’ll talk about the vitamins thank you

Sounds like a candidate for E45 shampoo if used regularly it will sort the problem out and it is not harsh on the hair. I have several clients who’ve gone through similar trauma and I always recommend it and they are amazed at results
Hope this helps

Hair Loss can be related to many more serious issues - I have hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease) and hair loss is an active symptom if the disease isn't being managed.
I would suggest she see a GP to have everything else ruled out - stress, disease, allergies etc.

Hair Loss can be related to many more serious issues - I have hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease) and hair loss is an active symptom if the disease isn't being managed.
I would suggest she see a GP to have everything else ruled out - stress, disease, allergies etc.
Thank you,
Weirdly before she lost her mum she did have a blood test for that (she had other symptoms) but came back negative, but yes I will be telling her to see Dr, I feel it’s a viscous circle of worry and stress, makes it worse, that creates more worry and stress?

Thank you,
Weirdly before she lost her mum she did have a blood test for that (she had other symptoms) but came back negative, but yes I will be telling her to see Dr, I feel it’s a viscous circle of worry and stress, makes it worse, that creates more worry and stress?
The doctors need to test on all of the thyroid hormones. For some reason, they don't always test for all of the the hormones - TSH, T1, T2, T3, T4 - get them to test again. My GP is awesome, and when I persisted that there was something wrong even after we'd done all of the normal tests, she ordered more and we discovered my Graves Disease.

Latest posts

Back