Struggling to get last bits of Shellac off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when someone comes every 2 to 3 weeks to have a new colour, you don't buff the shine off the nail to apply a new one? Same thing. You're still using a file/Buffer.

Lightly buffing the left over tiny amount colour off won't thin the nail, the same as buffing shine off. Like I said, you need to know the limits of hardly any pressure and how far to go.

Just my opinion! I suppose we all have our own.

That's the beauty of shellac you don't remove the shine from the nail.
You seem to be creating more work for yourself especially the filing stage when a little going over with an orange stick and a swipe if d-solve and your done.
Vicki xx

So when someone comes every 2 to 3 weeks to have a new colour, you don't buff the shine off the nail to apply a new one? Same thing. You're still using a file/Buffer.

Lightly buffing the left over tiny amount colour off won't thin the nail, the same as buffing shine off. Like I said, you need to know the limits of hardly any pressure and how far to go.

I think you will find that the main selling point of Shellac is that you don't remove shine from the nail plate at any appointment, first to last ;)

Regarding the Gelish removal, it really should not take half an hour, and as has been pointed out there are a few threads on this already. I remove Gelish in 15 minutes, and have found that the thinner the basecoat the easier it is, and using heated mitts definitely speeds things up. Hope this helps.

As said. I don't use Shellac. But yes, even with strong stuff, it takes me 30 minutes to Give Gelish a good soak. And I am not the only one. I am on about using a buffer 180/240. Lightly buff over the top of nail to remove the remaining gel left on.

Every Tech has their own ways of doing things. I am qualified, I know what I am doing. Sorry if that sounds harsh. But I come to this forum to chat and help, not be told how bad I do my job. :/
The op is asking about shellac and advsing how you remove gelish has confused the issue here I think, just a little misunderstanding! We NEVER use a buffer or file on the nail plate with shellac and it really does only take 10 minutes. x

I think the issue here is Shellac and Gelish are 2 completely different products. At no point during a Shellac service do we buff the nail, as izzidoll and dream nails have said its one of the main selling points of Shellac.

To the op, if I have a little bit of product left on the nail I hold a pad or wipe on the nail with a bit of dsolve on for a few seconds.
Rhiannon x

I think you will find that the main selling point of Shellac is that you don't remove shine from the nail plate at any appointment, first to last ;)

Regarding the Gelish removal, it really should not take half an hour, and as has been pointed out there are a few threads on this already. I remove Gelish in 15 minutes, and have found that the thinner the basecoat the easier it is, and using heated mitts definitely speeds things up. Hope this helps.

I must admit, Because I don't use Shellac, I wasn't aware of its prep work, and assumed it was the same. So for that I apologise to the OP.

I have tried all ways around it, and it seem to take a good 30 minutes to remove to the extent of just wiping off clean...someone else I know, it takes her 45 minutes lol. And I myself find it weird. Yet I use the right removal method, and my base coat is applied in thin amounts. Very strange!

Sorry Ladies.

My fault for assuming the prep work was the same for Shellac, as it is a Gel x

Thank you everyone.

Yes I only use CND Shellac products from sweetsquared. However I am using acetone from Sally's atm to remove but have ordered some D-solve.

Also I take each wrap off at a time and use an orange stick on each nail but don't get off all the product off to then return to try and the last bits off to all nails- so this maybe the problem? I need to scrub with a hands down pad and D-solve after the wrap is off and complete one nail at a time?

It'll be a breeze to remove now you've ordered D-Solve! :lol:

Sorry Ladies.

My fault for assuming the prep work was the same for Shellac, as it is a Gel x

Shellac is not a gel, it's a power polish which is why it's different :)
Rhiannon x

It'll be a breeze to remove now you've ordered D-Solve! :lol:

Great news, I really hope so, I will be giving all the tips and the D-solve ago on Wednesday!:lol:

Shellac is not a gel, it's a power polish which is why it's different :)
Rhiannon x

There you go. Shows how much I know about it. :)

All I knew is that people I know that used it, and it chipped alot. That's is why I didn't bother trying it lol

All I knew is that people I know that used it, and it chipped alot. That's is why I didn't bother trying it lol

A lot of my clients had tried Shellac and found it didn't last as long as my Gelish application too. They found it chipped. Might be down to the tech applying it. Wasnt me!

I dont know why your Gelish is taking you 30 mins to get off though. It takes me 15. I only soak with cotton wool pads (soaked in acetone) and wrap in foil for 10 mins and then it's just 5 mins to scrape the extra bits off gently with an orange stick.

Maybe your top coat is too thick? Just trying to help.

Lol that's what this site is for :) learning!

I very rarely experience any chipping with my clients unless they've been naughty and done things they shouldn't be doing. Perhaps you could direct those that you know are having problems with Shellac to this site to help them?
Rhiannon x

I very rarely experience any chipping with my clients unless they've been naughty and done things they shouldn't be doing. Perhaps you could direct those that you know are having problems with Shellac to this site to help them?
Rhiannon x

I would rather take the client and convert them to Gelish!:lol:
I don't do Shellac. I do Gelish.

I dont know why your Gelish is taking you 30 mins to get off though. It takes me 15. I only soak with cotton wool pads (soaked in acetone) and wrap in foil for 10 mins and then it's just 5 mins to scrape the extra bits off gently with an orange stick.

Maybe your top coat is too thick? Just trying to help.

I do it exactly the same way as you. Maybe the Gelish in Somerset is stronger lol :wink2:

Hmmm, didn't think I was applying anything too thick. But I will certainly double make sure later, when I do my toenails!

I would rather take the client and convert them to Gelish!:lol:
I don't do Shellac. I do Gelish.

My post was aimed at skorpy. She said she knew people that used Shellac and experienced problems, so in my opinion we should be helping fellow technicians to be the best they can be.

If I had a client that I thought would be better suited to Gelish I wouldn't hesitate to recommend another tech.
Rhiannon x

Rhiannon x

Hehe.... :)

It's the clients having problems, who I know. Not sure who is doing the work :)

Hehe.... :)

It's the clients having problems, who I know. Not sure who is doing the work :)

Ahhh I see then ignore me! Lol.
Rhiannon x

Not sure about shellac, But with Gelish, it takes a good 30 minutes to get off. I like it to come off freely without too much scraping, or you damage the nail plate.

If any is left on, then I just simply file the rest off.

Shows one thing though. It's good stuff :wink2:

Why do you think scraping damages nail plate?
I remove Gelish in around 10 minutes, as I end wrapping up last finger (I shorten, shape, remove shine and put oil on skin then wrap) I remove the foil from the first one and quickly scrap off the product, nail is clean and untouched. Gelish is soft and gummy and I do need to use force to remove it. Probably after 30 minutes it simply falls off, but it is too long for my service timing and too prolonged exposure of nail and skin to acetone, so I rather choose scraping. I do the same with Gelcolor, gel fx - 10 minutes and nail plate is clean, no need for filing etc. No need to be scared :)

But on american forum most of nail techs remove gel polishes with an e-file.. That just killed me...

Why do you think scraping damages nail plate?
I remove Gelish in around 10 minutes, as I end wrapping up last finger (I shorten, shape, remove shine and put oil on skin then wrap) I remove the foil from the first one and quickly scrap off the product, nail is clean and untouched. Gelish is soft and gummy and I do need to use force to remove it. Probably after 30 minutes it simply falls off, but it is too long for my service timing and too prolonged exposure of nail and skin to acetone, so I rather choose scraping. I do the same with Gelcolor, gel fx - 10 minutes and nail plate is clean, no need for filing etc. No need to be scared :)

But on american forum most of nail techs remove gel polishes with an e-file.. That just killed me...

As said... if it isn't soaked long enough, scraping can cause damage, as Some people have been known to scrape at gelish before it is soft enough, and end up taking top layer of the nail plate with it. So, just saying scraping can cause damage if not careful...

Latest posts

Back