Struggling to get last bits of Shellac off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you think scraping damages nail plate?
I remove Gelish in around 10 minutes, as I end wrapping up last finger (I shorten, shape, remove shine and put oil on skin then wrap) I remove the foil from the first one and quickly scrap off the product, nail is clean and untouched. Gelish is soft and gummy and I do need to use force to remove it. Probably after 30 minutes it simply falls off, but it is too long for my service timing and too prolonged exposure of nail and skin to acetone, so I rather choose scraping. I do the same with Gelcolor, gel fx - 10 minutes and nail plate is clean, no need for filing etc. No need to be scared :)

But on american forum most of nail techs remove gel polishes with an e-file.. That just killed me...

I never buff the shine, I just pop on the acetone soaked cottonwood and wrap in foil. After 10 mins it just comes off like peeling paint from a wall when it's been steamed. It's not soft and gummy for me but more brittle.

I use to buff before removing but have found it comes off better without buffing. I read it on an earlier thread. Saves time too.

So when someone comes every 2 to 3 weeks to have a new colour, you don't buff the shine off the nail to apply a new one? Same thing. You're still using a file/Buffer.

Lightly buffing the left over tiny amount colour off won't thin the nail, the same as buffing shine off. Like I said, you need to know the limits of hardly any pressure and how far to go.

Just my opinion! I suppose we all have our own.

But even when they come every 2-3 weeks you only buff the new growth, you don't buff the entire nail, otherwise eventually, you do thin the nail plate. Talking of Gelish, of course, Shellac requires no buffing at all. And many Gelish users don't buff either.

But even when they come every 2-3 weeks you only buff the new growth, you don't buff the entire nail, otherwise eventually, you do thin the nail plate. Talking of Gelish, of course, Shellac requires no buffing at all. And many Gelish users don't buff either.

You can't just buff the new growth and not the rest when applying Gelish...Gel does not stick to a shiny service...so yes, you need to buff the whole plate when applying Gel.. You are only taking the shine off with a white block, not filing the nail!

I never buff the shine, I just pop on the acetone soaked cottonwood and wrap in foil. After 10 mins it just comes off like peeling paint from a wall when it's been steamed.

Thanks, will try it first thing tomorrow :) !!

As said. I don't use Shellac. But yes, even with strong stuff, it takes me 30 minutes to Give Gelish a good soak. And I am not the only one. I am on about using a buffer 180/240. Lightly buff over the top of nail to remove the remaining gel left on.

Every Tech has their own ways of doing things. I am qualified, I know what I am doing. Sorry if that sounds harsh. But I come to this forum to chat and help, not be told how bad I do my job. :/

I am a nail tech and use Gelish too but it doesn't take half hour for it to come off...i'd say 15 mins at the most...I use the gelish remover but when i ran out that a couple times i had to use acetone and it took 30 mins to remove Gelish. On another note ....when i have removed Gelish rockstar (glitter) it has taken 20 mins with gelish remover. I don't have to scrap it just flakes off. I'm not sure why it takes so long for your gelish to come off and still have to buff off the excess...maybe saturate the wraps a little more.
I still love Gelish :)

I am a nail tech and use Gelish too but it doesn't take half hour for it to come off...i'd say 15 mins at the most...I use the gelish remover but when i ran out that a couple times i had to use acetone and it took 30 mins to remove Gelish. On another note ....when i have removed Gelish rockstar (glitter) it has taken 20 mins with gelish remover. I don't have to scrap it just flakes off. I'm not sure why it takes so long for your gelish to come off and still have to buff off the excess...maybe saturate the wraps a little more.
I still love Gelish :)

I use Acetone, so that answers my problems lol.
I was sure acetone would be good enough to remove it quicker though.

I love Gelish too. Just put Magneto on my toes. Love it!!! :biggrin:

Have read through this entire thread and can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that if Shellac has been on for longer then 2 weeks or so, it takes a few minutes longer to remove. Could this be why the OP was finding it didn't all remove within the allotted time?

I have a client who makes her French Shellac go 5 weeks .. . and it took a good 15 minutes or so to soak off, no way ready after 10)

Hope this helps a bitxx

Have read through this entire thread and can't believe nobody has mentioned the fact that if Shellac has been on for longer then 2 weeks or so, it takes a few minutes longer to remove. Could this be why the OP was finding it didn't all remove within the allotted time?

I have a client who makes her French Shellac go 5 weeks .. . and it took a good 15 minutes or so to soak off, no way ready after 10)

Hope this helps a bitxx

I really don't find it takes any longer however long Shellac has been on. I had a client in today who goes 4 weeks, took 5 minutes to remove.. I'm sure now OP has invested in DSolve she will have no probs in removal x

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

10minute removal time, with CND Shellac wrap off system.... clean and damage free..... no buffing needed.......
make sure the wraps are tight and you use enough acetone, not to much but enough to saturate the pad..... it does come off like a dream xxxx

You can't just buff the new growth and not the rest when applying Gelish...Gel does not stick to a shiny service...so yes, you need to buff the whole plate when applying Gel.. You are only taking the shine off with a white block, not filing the nail!

I respectfully disagree. You are filing the nail, even when buffing with a white block. This is the reason that Shellac makes such a big deal about not buffing. It is an infinitesimal amount but over time it adds up. The nail plate is about 100 cell layers thick; when you buff to remove shine, you remove about five layers. That is the dust on the plate. Once the shine is removed it should not come back. After soak off, whatever shine is on the old growth is either oil or product which can be removed with acetone or Scrubfresh rather than buffing. Other gels, like OPI, don't call for buffing and lots of techs don't buff at all with Gelish.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. You are filing the nail, even when buffing with a white block. This is the reason that Shellac makes such a big deal about not buffing. It is an infinitesimal amount but over time it adds up. The nail plate is about 100 cell layers thick; when you buff to remove shine, you remove about five layers. That is the dust on the plate. Once the shine is removed it should not come back. After soak off, whatever shine is on the old growth is either oil or product which can be removed with acetone or Scrubfresh rather than buffing. Other gels, like OPI, don't call for buffing and lots of techs don't buff at all with Gelish.

I was taught to buff, and everything I read about Gelish, even from Gelish professionals says you need to buff. I have tried Gelish without buffing on my toenails, and by day 3, it started to come off! Just going by my own experience with it!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

10minute removal time, with CND Shellac wrap off system.... clean and damage free..... no buffing needed.......
make sure the wraps are tight and you use enough acetone, not to much but enough to saturate the pad..... it does come off like a dream xxxx
Wow mine don't come off like this, could it be because I use acetone not dSolve?

Hiya wend, That's a relief! Wonder what we do different??!!x

Hiya! No idea! I'm trying to arrange some 1-2-1 training to see if I can find out! It's not too bad, but never peels off like that without leaving a residue...be a dream if they did! X

Hiya wend, That's a relief! Wonder what we do different??!!x

Perhaps you do not use enough D.Solve or the actual pad is not in touch with the nail ... I only use CND remover wraps myself with Shellac, because it holds the pad so nice and tight to the finger so there is less evaporation.

Another reason your nails may not look like the ones in the picture (and mine don't always either), is that some get a bit heavy handed with the base coat ... you really can use it thin :D, really thin, and you should get the results above. Only time I don't is when i am a bit slack on my own nails and heavy handed with the base coat.

Hiya! No idea! I'm trying to arrange some 1-2-1 training to see if I can find out! It's not too bad, but never peels off like that without leaving a residue...be a dream if they did! X

If you are seeing a residue (which is left over base coat) then that is definitely a result of the base coat being thicker than it needed to be. Try going lighter with less on the brush and you will note a definite difference (your base coat will last you twice as long as well).

Perhaps you do not use enough D.Solve or the actual pad is not in touch with the nail ... I only use CND remover wraps myself with Shellac, because it holds the pad so nice and tight to the finger so there is less evaporation.

Another reason your nails may not look like the ones in the picture (and mine don't always either), is that some get a bit heavy handed with the base coat ... you really can use it thin :D, really thin, and you should get the results above. Only time I don't is when i am a bit slack on my own nails and heavy handed with the base coat.

If you are seeing a residue (which is left over base coat) then that is definitely a result of the base coat being thicker than it needed to be. Try going lighter with less on the brush and you will note a definite difference (your base coat will last you twice as long as well).
I thought I was applying thin base coat, but obviously not as thin as needed! I will try slightly more acetone than normal and be a bit more meticulous about placing the pad correctly!
I once applied the wraps then moved onto a new application of shellac on the toes then came back to the wraps - BIG mistake! They had dried up, never made that mistake again lol! :D

I thought I was applying thin base coat, but obviously not as thin as needed! I will try slightly more acetone than normal and be a bit more meticulous about placing the pad correctly!
I once applied the wraps then moved onto a new application of shellac on the toes then came back to the wraps - BIG mistake! They had dried up, never made that mistake again lol! :D

Here is a guide ... if you can see any noticeable ridge around the edges, left by your base coat when you have applied and not cured it, then it is too thick .. go over it again with your brush minus any more product and thin it out before you cure. HTH

Yes, I thought this was probably the case, but I honestly can't imagine getting it any thinner! I'll persevere! :)

Latest posts

Back