Struggling to get last bits of Shellac off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a guide ... if you can see any noticeable ridge around the edges, left by your base coat when you have applied and not cured it, then it is too thick .. go over it again with your brush minus any more product and thin it out before you cure. HTH
Thank you geeg x

Yes, I thought this was probably the case, but I honestly can't imagine getting it any thinner! I'll persevere! :)

Here is a technique tip ...

I get the Base coat thinner by brushing it onto the middle of the nail first and only after doing that, when there is practically zero left on the brush, do I push back to the eponychium and sweep around the sides. Voilá no ridge at all.

Great technique for off-loading the bulk of the product from the brush in the middle of the nail, and then leaving the edges super thin and I do it with all coats including colour and Top Coat..

Last edited:
Here it a technique tip ...

I get the Base coat thinner by brushing t on in the middle of the nail first and only after doing that, when there is practically zero left on the brush, do I push back to the eponychium and sweep around the sides. Voilá no ridge at all.

Great technique for off-loading the bulk of the product from the brush in the middle of the nail, and then leaving the edges super thin and I do it will all coats including colour and Top Coat..

Fabulous tip! Thank you! Got a Shellac client in this afternoon...I'll give it a go. X

Fabulous tip! Thank you! Got a Shellac client in this afternoon...I'll give it a go. X

Perhaps I've saved you some money and you won't need that 121 afterall! :D or you can concentrate on something else.

One more thing .. make a note on the client record card that you have gone thinner with the base coat so that when you do the next removal, you will remember and be able to take note of the changes. x

Perhaps I've saved you some money and you won't need that 121 afterall! :D or you can concentrate on something else.

One more thing .. make a note on the client record card that you have gone thinner with the base coat so that when you do the next removal, you will remember and be able to take note of the changes. x

Lol! Just putting an order in with S2 so may spend it on another colour! Good idea about noting it on the record card too! Thank you! X

Here it a technique tip ...

I get the Base coat thinner by brushing t on in the middle of the nail first and only after doing that, when there is practically zero left on the brush, do I push back to the eponychium and sweep around the sides. Voilá no ridge at all.

Great technique for off-loading the bulk of the product from the brush in the middle of the nail, and then leaving the edges super thin and I do it will all coats including colour and Top Coat..

That's how I've always painted nails, it just works for me. I've never tried down the sides and then the middle. Glad to know I'm doing it right :D

That's how I've always painted nails, it just works for me. I've never tried down the sides and then the middle. Glad to know I'm doing it right :D

Well I suppose there is not a right or wrong way so to speak, but there is a way that works better with Shellac and it is this (actually I also paint polish in the same way too).

By the way, I do not mean that I paint one line down the middle and then the sides!
I paint the whole nail in the middle leaving a gap all the way around, and only then with practically zero on my brush , do I then do the push back and sides leaving the most minute gap. I hope I made that clear. I really do 3/4 of the nail first in the centre.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips. It took me 15mins today. I have reapplied with less base coat so hopefully next time it will be 10mins.:D

Here is a guide ... if you can see any noticeable ridge around the edges, left by your base coat when you have applied and not cured it, then it is too thick .. go over it again with your brush minus any more product and thin it out before you cure. HTH

I think this is a really good way to think of this. It really clarifies just how thin we're talking about.

Dont know if your question was a general one or directed at Skorpy but CND always recommend one finger removal at a time.

Hi Geeg, sorry, yes, it was directed at the OP. I was so excited to get my hands on the product at my training that I didn't pay enough attention to the removal process - I quickly learnt from my mistake!

I've removed 2 x shellac today and did things a little different - I made sure the pad was saturated and placed it carefully making sure it was placed over the nail perfectly, after I removed them and scraped off excess, I wiped over with an acetone pad and it came off much easier! I've been making sure that my base is very thin and I know the clients that I removed today were thin originally! thanks geeg!x

I use Harmony's own soak off product and it comes off in flakes as does shellac when I use D solve. Always use all Shellac Products or all gelish products. DO NOT MIX THEM. If you want a great result in applying, in hold and soak off, stick to this rule. They will soak off in 10mins in flakes as they are meant to when using the correct products. I also use OPI Gelcolor and the same rule apply. Very Simple!!

I use Harmony's own soak off product and it comes off in flakes as does shellac when I use D solve. Always use all Shellac Products or all gelish products. DO NOT MIX THEM. If you want a great result in applying, in hold and soak off, stick to this rule. They will soak off in 10mins in flakes as they are meant to when using the correct products. I also use OPI Gelcolor and the same rule apply. Very Simple!!
Using acetone to remove shellac in no way effects the shellac performance. I do not mix my products and use all cnd products for my l & p and shellac and acetone to remove both.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...UbtwtIvcPVOUVsWSg&sig2=UrNlKJumzviXneI0978XfQ

Latest posts

Back