Struggling to get last bits of Shellac off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne1984

Reaction score
Hi, I have used Shellac Removal Wraps and magic gel foil wraps to remove shellac but I simply can't get it off in the time I am suppose to. Even if I leave for 20mins I still have bits I struggle to get off.

Is there any tips for getting the last bits off?

I think I need to make the wraps more secure which hopefully will come in time?:confused:

Hi, I have used Shellac Removal Wraps and magic gel foil wraps to remove shellac but I simply can't get it off in the time I am suppose to. Even if I leave for 20mins I still have bits I struggle to get off.

I think I need to make the wraps more secure which hopefully will come in time?:confused:

Shellac should come off easily in ten minutes. Getting your wraps secure is critical. All the time in the world won't get your Shellac off if the remover isn't in constant contact with the Shellac or if the remover is evaporating before it can do its job. Try not just getting your wraps tighter, but getting the saturated pads firmly in contact with the nail for the entire soak off time. If Shellac or magi wraps don't work, try a different system - cotton and foil or Graham Hands Down wraps (my favorite). Depending on your wraps, squirting an extra bit of remover on halfway through the soak helps too. And some heat also helps.

Is this the real CND shellac?
If so maybe you are putting the base coat on to thickly ?

If you aren't getting your Shellac off in 10 minutes, you are probably applying the base coat too thickly- other culprits? Applying primers or file prepping the nail plate can also make Shellac difficult to remove, as will using a top coat from another line.

Are you using the CND Shellac system entirely? Following proper P.E.P. steps? The wraps can take a bit to get used to, but when the product is applied correctly, even a loose wrap will still do it's job in 10 minutes.

What are your application step-by-steps?

Hi.. I'm interested to know what you are using to remove the Shellac? I use DSperse and a small piece of a cotton pad, then a square of tin foil, shiney side in. I don't even have to leave it on for the recommended 10 minutes, 3/5 mins and its off! Use a cuticle stick to scrape off gently the remainder and then give the nail a wipe over with DSperse and you're done. HTH x

Hi.. I'm interested to know what you are using to remove the Shellac? I use DSperse and a small piece of a cotton pad, then a square of tin foil, shiney side in. I don't even have to leave it on for the recommended 10 minutes, 3/5 mins and its off! Use a cuticle stick to scrape off gently the remainder and then give the nail a wipe over with DSperse and you're done. HTH x
No you don't, Rosy cheeks ... You use D. solve. Lol

Not sure about shellac, But with Gelish, it takes a good 30 minutes to get off. I like it to come off freely without too much scraping, or you damage the nail plate.

If any is left on, then I just simply file the rest off.

Shows one thing though. It's good stuff :wink2:

No you don't, Rosy cheeks ... You use D. solve. Lol

Haha what a plank! Yes you definitely use D.SOLVE!!! Geez it's the beginning of the week for me, i'm not with it yet! :grr:

Hi there, it's maybe a silly question but do you remove one finger at at a time? The first time a did a removal I pulled all the wraps off at once which left 9 fingers exposed and made for a very difficult removal! I often have to use a bit of d.solve on a hands down pad to scrub the last few bits off too. I've found removing seems to be getting easier the more I do which I'm hoping means my application is getting better (thinner base coats)!

Not sure about shellac, But with Gelish, it takes a good 30 minutes to get off. I like it to come off freely without too much scraping, or you damage the nail plate.

Oh dear, Skorpy, you are going to think I'm hounding you but I promise I'm not!

Shellac comes off in 10 minutes. Really! We all like the product to come off freely, which it does in 10 minutes. I never scrape at the product, just need to move the flakes off with a wooden CUTICAL stick and then wipe over well with D. solve.

30 minutes for a soak off is unacceptable and as for filing off any thats left on !! What a recipe for damaged and delapidated nails. I would never recommend it. And none of what you've written implies that anything 'is good stuff'... :eek:

Hi there, it's maybe a silly question but do you remove one finger at at a time? The first time a did a removal I pulled all the wraps off at once which left 9 fingers exposed and made for a very difficult removal! I often have to use a bit of d.solve on a hands down pad to scrub the last few bits off too. I've found removing seems to be getting easier the more I do which I'm hoping means my application is getting better (thinner base coats)!
Dont know if your question was a general one or directed at Skorpy but CND always recommend one finger removal at a time.

Oh dear, Skorpy, you are going to think I'm hounding you but I promise I'm not!

Shellac comes off in 10 minutes. Really! We all like the product to come off freely, which it does in 10 minutes. I never scrape at the product, just need to move the flakes off with a wooden CUTICAL stick and then wipe over well with D. solve.

30 minutes for a soak off is unacceptable and as for filing off any thats left on !! What a recipe for damaged and delapidated nails. I would never recommend it. And none of what you've written implies that anything 'is good stuff'... :eek:

As said. I don't use Shellac. But yes, even with strong stuff, it takes me 30 minutes to Give Gelish a good soak. And I am not the only one. I am on about using a buffer 180/240. Lightly buff over the top of nail to remove the remaining gel left on.

Every Tech has their own ways of doing things. I am qualified, I know what I am doing. Sorry if that sounds harsh. But I come to this forum to chat and help, not be told how bad I do my job. :/

Last edited:
Thank you everyone.

Yes I only use CND Shellac products from sweetsquared. However I am using acetone from Sally's atm to remove but have ordered some D-solve.

Also I take each wrap off at a time and use an orange stick on each nail but don't get off all the product off to then return to try and the last bits off to all nails- so this maybe the problem? I need to scrub with a hands down pad and D-solve after the wrap is off and complete one nail at a time?

I think I also need to look at how thick my base coats are!

As said. I don't use Shellac. But yes, even with strong stuff, it takes me 30 minutes to Give Gelish a good soak. And I am not the only one. I am not on about filing with a high grit. Lightly buff over the top of nail to remove the remaining gel left on.

Every Tech has their own ways of doing things. I am qualified, I know what I am doing. Sorry if that sounds harsh. But I come to this forum to chat and help, not be told how bad I do my job. :/

In that case you should have made yourself clear so that you don't sound as bad as it comes across. If you are well trained and know what you are doing, then pass that on to others who are not, in a more responsible way; any other way is no help at all.

I would never file product to clean the natural nail and I would not advise Anyone to do it either ... With a soft or a harsh grit buffer or file; Especially when a good wipe over with remover is the best and most gentle alternative way to remove any traces of product left on the plate.

We may all have our ' ways' of doing things which if safe and cause no harm are acceptable; the way you described Is not, and on a site which teaches others our responsibility when we offer 'help' and advice is to offer good help and advice.

Thank you everyone.

Yes I only use CND Shellac products from sweetsquared. However I am using acetone from Sally's atm to remove but have ordered some D-solve.

Also I take each wrap off at a time and use an orange stick on each nail but don't get off all the product off to then return to try and the last bits off to all nails- so this maybe the problem? I need to scrub with a hands down pad and D-solve after the wrap is off and complete one nail at a time?

Exactly, Anne. X

Hi Skorpy, There are are loads of threads about Gelish removal and how beautifully it comes off in 10-15 minutes with no need for scraping or filing. I'm not implying you don't know how to remove it, I'm just saying it's no problem to remove in the way NH suggest.

For the OP.....I had teething problems with both Shellac and Gelish removal at first, but from the help I received on here, worked out what I wasn't doing correctly and so could put it right.
I increased the amount of D-Solve to avoid evaporation and rehardening and I increased my awareness of how I applied the base coat to allow it to release more effectively. Also, making sure I didn't go over the guidelines on how long I wrapped for.

This made a world of difference and now my removal is just like those reported on here. Another good tip that was posted on here by a CND EA, for any little stubborn bits was holding a wipe with D-Solve over the nail for a few seconds. Bingo!

In that case you should have made yourself clear so that you don't sound as bad as it comes across. If you are well trained and know what you are doing, then pass that on to others who are not, in a more responsible way; any other way is no help at all.

I would never file product to clean the natural nail and I would not advise Anyone to do it either ... With a soft or a harsh grit buffer or file; Especially when a good wipe over with remover is the best and most gentle alternative way to remove any traces of product left on the plate.

We may all have our ' ways' of doing things which if safe and cause no harm are acceptable; the way you described Is not, and on a site which teaches others our responsibility when we offer 'help' and advice is to offer good help and advice.

Just starting out on my own, means I can't afford the luxuries of using alot of products just yet, so I have to do is manually. If this means using a 180/240 buffer on the nails just to remove stubborn left behind bit of Gelish, then I will do that. With hard Gels, you have to file when doing an infill. This is the same thing, but with gel and a buffer.... as long as you are not putting hard pressure on the nail with anything under 180/240, then I don't see a problem with removing excess gel colour with a file. Any Technician should know the limits to buff the nail and remove excess products in the process without damaging the natural nail!

It is just my thoughts on removing the little amountof gel left over, without the aid of using more Acetone/d-Solve.

Hi Skorpy, There are are loads of threads about Gelish removal and how beautifully it comes off in 10-15 minutes with no need for scraping or filing. I'm not implying you don't know how to remove it, I'm just saying it's no problem to remove in the way NH suggest.

For the OP.....I had teething problems with both Shellac and Gelish removal at first, but from the help I received on here, worked out what I wasn't doing correctly and so could put it right.
I increased the amount of D-Solve to avoid evaporation and rehardening and I increased my awareness of how I applied the base coat to allow it to release more effectively. Also, making sure I didn't go over the guidelines on how long I wrapped for.

This made a world of difference and now my removal is just like those reported on here. Another good tip that was posted on here by a CND EA, for any little stubborn bits was holding a wipe with D-Solve over the nail for a few seconds. Bingo!

I understand what you're saying. I am just putting it out there that extra amounts of d-solve doesn't have to be used to just remove the little amount left behind. It comes off so easy with a buffer and a tiny amount of manual work, without you using more product.

Just starting out on my own, means I can't afford the luxuries of using alot of products just yet, so I have to do is manually. If this means using a 180/240 buffer on the nails just to remove stubborn left behind bit of Gelish, then I will do that. With hard Gels, you have to file when doing an infill. This is the same thing, but with gel and a buffer.... as long as you are not putting hard pressure on the nail with anything under 180/240, then I don't see a problem with removing excess gel colour with a file. Any Technician should know the limits to buff the nail and remove excess products in the process without damaging the natural nail!

It is just my thoughts on removing the little amountof gel left over, without the aid of using more Acetone/d-Solve.

I could not buff a product completely down or off the natural nail even with a 1200 grit file, without compromising the nail plate ... Do that every 2-3 weeks and you have a nailplate that is being thinned, a nail without protection and a nail that is going to to suffer from excessive dehydration. No need for it.

The problem is you don't see the problem!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back