Struggling with acceptance for having long nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhien

Reaction score
perhaps I should
skip my personal reasons for this altogether for now
in the interests of brevity.

I am here because
I saw this post on here:
http://www.salongeek.com/threads/taboo-against-men-having-long-polished-nails.226562/

and I am in a very similar situation...?
It's not something that I find very easy to talk about :( so

before I go any further;
from the bottom of my heart, I would like to sincerely thank every single person who contributed to the body of messages I just linked to, and to this place to giving me an opportunity to hear your thoughts... really :'( it meant a great deal to my heart just to hear supportive, friendly people talking about this for a change... it was nice to hear people care <3
It's the first time I have ever seen or heard a group of people accept and appreciate a man for his long nails... when it comes to this, until now I have honestly, in my 32 years of life: never heard anything except for digust and derision. I really appreciate the passion you all show for your profession, and all the beautiful and varied colours you were able to represent as people here... thank you so much.

...I don't really know what else to say, except that
I am trying to come to terms with and accept who I am... and even if I can't find someone who can understand here, it will still help me to write this. So thank you for listening, to anyone who does <3

I am here to admit that I am someone who truly *loves*, in the literal sense of the word, having natural long nails. i have been told throughout my life that I am the wrong gender to feel this way, and maybe I am - maybe I am a little weird for wanting to have longer nails;
but I do. and for something (to me) that is so innocent, something that is a true joy for me and makes me love myself more somehow;
it makes me upset to think about sometimes,
and paranoid to be around other people... there is
not a lot of support or acceptance for a guy who is this way, at least, not at face value.
and that often makes me feel very very :'(
...anyways.
for the third time in my life, i have let my nails grow quite long indeed... i dream about keeping them for good. they're nowhere near the length of the OP's... but they are definitely longer than those of most ladies I know.

...i wish I could feel pride to tell you this :(
instead, it just makes me cry :(
i think my nails are beautiful when they are longer,
especially for a guy...?
it's hard to find acceptance for this,
even within myself though.

...thank you to all the people who replied to the link I included here, and showed me that :'( not everyone in the world will necessarily think i am a disgusting freak just for trying to be myself. :( :(

...i'm sorry to be a bit down.
thank you for listening;

if i have a point, then its
this...

my nails mean a lot to me now. i know its probably silly and gross to most people :'( on one hand, I can't deny myself forever... on the other...
...i don't think I can live this way without some, any, kind of support in this area of my life... not forever. hence;

ultimately, i don't know if I can keep my nails long, despite how honestly fulfilling growing them is for me.
but in the short term, I am literally taking a long holiday just so I can finally enjoy this simply joy for myself, for once in my life -

i live on the east side of Australia? and
before I get home from
my holiday around it...

I would very much like to have my long nails done properly by a professional <3 <3
but i am scared. of funny looks,
and of judgmental people...

...i wonder if anyone here knows of
anyone anywhere at all that can
accept me the way that I am :'(
in any capacity.
a little would go a long way for me on this issue </3

sorry this has been such a sad note for me...
...it would help a lot just to talk to some nice people who can share a simple love of beautiful long nails with me, regardless of gender :*(
and I hope one day that maybe even just one person will be as beautiful towards me as you all were to this gentlemen.

...thank you for listening.
i hope the reader can genuinely perceive how difficult this really is and has been for me ;(

I have all sorts of questions about this that
i would love ask a group of people...
but i will stop for now, in case I am not in the right space to offer this for discussion.

...I am troubled.
loving something just for what it is, as i do...
i feel like it shouldn't make me feel this lonely.

as silly as it may be...?
i can't even begin to tell you how it feels to finally have them, and how much I want to grow them even longer. i think my long nails are really nice. maybe even beautiful, perhaps :'
and i know that not everyone in life will necessarily agree?
but i don't think i'm anywhere near as disgusting
as I've been made to feel my whole life in this way :(

...can anyone understand?
in any case...

forgive me for reaching out here...
...any response or advice whatsoever is
truly appreciated <3
and thank you sincerely for listening.

<3 Ike

Love life, love your nails and love yourself :)

You rock your nails, any negative people are probably just jealous or envy the fact you do as you wish, you never know a career as a nail technician maybe a path to take as your so passionate, I'd seriously think about training, there are so many fantastic male techs out there you could also be one ! [emoji173]️

Do whatever you are comfortable with. As a male nail technician in Lancaster, I would welcome anyone who wants to have good looking nails. I've had men come to me for coloured gelish manicures which I do support and encourage - even with bright neon nail art.

Rhien

Perhaps you could find a nail salon that welcomes Transvistites or Transexuals (google is your friend here)?

Not who you are, but there will be an acceptance in these places.

Do what u want I have made a pretty successful part time business from modeling long nails for various nailtechs and nail students as a male I bring a unique look my hands can be either male or female so techs can get twice the looks in for their portfolios.Day2 day I prefer my nails male and well manicured but I think anyone should be free to do what they wants find an understanding tech and go for it

I meet a guy whilst watching a CND demo at Beauty Olympia last year, who had beautiful long painted nails.
I'm not a nail tech, but gathered he is well known in the industry.
His nails were extended, with elaborate decoration on each.
Whilst there, he had the nail tech add even more detail.
They looked pretty cool! :cool:

Your nails grow them as long as you want!

Thank you all very much for your lovely, humbling replies :'(
I never spoke to such a nice group of people about this before...

...at least if I were gay, or transsexual for instance,
I could have some sort of framework with which to try to understand this...
I could have some way of "coming out", I guess -
Something I could tell other people, that they could understand when
They inevitably ask me to explain why I am this way...
But as it is, it's guess kinda just me :(
...at the end of the day i don't think i can keep them for too long.
which makes me really sad ;(

but I really, really appreciate the kind words and advice you have had for me <3
It honestly really, really means a lot to me.

Thank you <3 <3 <3

You don't have to pigeon hole yourself as a means of justifying the things you like. Just be you and enjoy it :)

We like what we like who knows why just be yourself the rest willl fall into place
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1497271083.712805.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1497271245.725293.jpg

This is me before and after a shoot with a nail tech I take them off after the shoot but I can always have them back if I feel like it. You may just want to go with acrylics or gels in private when you feel the need I don't know how people do it all the time with long nails they can be very limiting but the beauty of acrylics is wear them and remove them and wear them again when it suits you.

...I wish I could enjoy acrylics in this way? <:)
but it's just not the same for me, somehow...
...it is just so much more satisfying and fulfilling for me
to grow them naturally <3
it just feels right...you know ? idk :\

p.s. your nails look nice :)
you're lucky to enjoy modelling them!
so jelly ;D

...as for mine, i guess
I don't want to cut them just because I'm
afraid of what others *might* think...?
that seems like a faulty way to live :\
and I like the challenges they present, actually <:)
anyways...
...thank you all for being so nice to me :)
it's very interesting to hear so many different types of people opine on this.

I will include a pic of my nails, because...
I am trying to be brave with them :O
If you can share yours, then so shall I? ^^"

...but I have never shared them like this before,
and I'm a little scareds. i really hope they are nice enough to be shared :'
This is from the last time I grew them <3
My only real motivation for painting them is to
try to disguise their real length a bit...
...they are about this long again, now?
but I would really love to have them significantly longer :)

from my heart of hearts:
Thank you so much to everyone at SalonGeek for
being really lovely to me regarding something I find really difficult to talk about <3
thank you for being encouraging, and for letting me use your space to
hear myself think for once :)
...it feels so nice for me just to talk to a group of people about this
for the very first time ever in my life <3 it really means a lot to me to share this with you.
thank you for being here for me on this one, SalonGeek <3 :) <3

<3 Ike :)

Attachments

• aIMG_1297.jpg
    aIMG_1297.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back