Struggling with Gelish-consistencies, air bubbles etc. Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportsgirl

Reaction score
Hi nail geeks,

I'm just coming back into the industry after having taken time out to have my 3 children and I suspect that nails will be a big part of my business. I have decided to offer Gelish and am due to do the one day course in a few weeks time. I've bought a fair bit of kit already and have just been playing around with it but I have to say that I'm really struggling with application compared to other gel brands that I have used.

One major issue I'm having is with the consistencies, which seems to vary so much from one colour to the next. For example, I find "You glare I glow" very watery and then something like "You're so sweet" is much thicker and gloopier. Consequently I'm finding it tough to get the right amount on the brush etc. I'm getting lots of air bubbles (I don't shake the bottles) and I suspect it's from overworking the gel. But I'm just finding it impossible to get the polish to glide on nicely. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me??!!

I buy everything from Sally's or the Harmony website so I know that everything is genuine. It's starting to knock my confidence a little, as there's no way I could take money for what I'm currently producing. The only other thing is interestingly I've noticed this happens on fingers but barely on toes. I appreciate that my trainer will be able to help me but wondering in the meantime if anyone can offer any help. Thanks xx

Anyone???? Please!

My first thing was going to be "don't shake ur bottles" as that will give you bubbles but if you're not doing then I'm not sure why it's happening :(.

I use artistic colour gloss (gelish's sister) and our consistencies vary vastly as well. The thicker ones I make slightly warmer and waterier by putting it between my thighs while prepping, it really does help.

I know it's not much but hope I've helped a wee bit xxx

Thank you-I'll certainly try that and see if it helps. I'm getting a bit disheartened as I've invested a lot of money already and now wondering if I should have gone down the CND shellac route. I love the Gelish colour range though (the main reason I went with that range) so really hope I can figure it out! X

Warm the thicker ones put by putting between your legs as mentioned but for the thinner ones you can put as many coats as you like on aslong as they are thin.i sometimes put 4 and 5 coats to get a good coverage on some colours.you will get to know each bottle over time but trust me you won't look back xx

Id Wait until you've done your course.
They will go through everything with you and trouble shooting.
I changed from shellac to gelish and haven't looked back.

But Some of the colours need a little stir with an orange wood stick etc. As sometimes the pigments can settle at the bottom.
Just get a little product on your brush so the first coat is really really thin, you can always dip your brush back in and get a little more on your brush.
x

Thanks so much for the advice. I think my issues are definitely to do with the amount of polish on the brush. I wonder if sometimes there isn't enough so I end up almost dragging the brush (which may be leaving marks, which look like air bubbles) or there's too much, which can cause air bubbles!!!

Glad to hear you saying that you've not looked back with gelish-I need to make it work! X

With gelish the consistencies are all different, you're doing the right thing by not shaking them. You need to turn the polish upside down and move it from side to side so that the pigments are all getting mixed up. Before you apply the colour make sure you dry brush the foundation, apply the colour thinly. I personally wouldn't apply any more than 3 coats. Good luck with your training! Gelish is definitely my favourite

Latest posts

Back