Struggling with hot wax application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi all I'm struggling to get a nice application with hot wax. I feel I should be getting a nice neat line but I seem to end up with a funny shape blob that is sometimes not quite thick enough at end so I'm having to pick a bit which is not best for client, Is it just practice or r there any tips? I'm using pr euroblonde and I am struggling to get right temp too I think, either bit too warm temp or to cool and then goes thick. I've only done 2 treatments since training so I'm v new and clients were happy but just felt I was faffing alot if u no what I mean. Thanks

Hi all I'm struggling to get a nice application with hot wax. I feel I should be getting a nice neat line but I seem to end up with a funny shape blob that is sometimes not quite thick enough at end so I'm having to pick a bit which is not best for client, Is it just practice or r there any tips? I'm using pr euroblonde and I am struggling to get right temp too I think, either bit too warm temp or to cool and then goes thick. I've only done 2 treatments since training so I'm v new and clients were happy but just felt I was faffing alot if u no what I mean. Thanks
Hi Claire

It sometimes takes a while to get used to some of the hot waxes and getting the best application. Getting the wax at the correct temp is the most important so the consistency will be right; not too thick or not to runny. If you can keep your edges even all the way down and then at the end if you slightly come back on the strip and thicken the end slightly this should help with your lift. If you just press on the end of the wax strip it should lift the strip slightly so you can get hold of it and remove the strip without having to pick at the wax. Hope that makes sense.. Jack

I find using the tip of my spatula helps so I come down in a thinnish strip rather than using it as you do with traditional wax. I find it easier then to even out my application. I do longish strips rather than wider ones. Hope that makes sense as well.

Vic x

Thank you both, yes both make sense think mayb Il just practice my application on non hairy bits to try and perfect! I think maybe my wax is a bit thick as I'm scared of it being too hot and burning so its harder to spread evenly.

Hot wax def takes time to get used to ... The good thing though is that you can put another application of hot wax on top of the original to make it even and to enable you to have a tab to take the hot wax off .. What I love about hot wax is that you can really see that it pulls out the hair and you can see the bulb with the follicle ( call me strange but I love to see this) I know I'm getting a good result [emoji5]️
Remember to really work the wax into the hair to allow you to get a good result on the first application of the wax there's nothing worse than having loads of hair left, you can put a little force behind you when you do this and it won't hurt the client at all figure of 8 is generally what I go by.

Hot wax def takes time to get used to ... The good thing though is that you can put another application of hot wax on top of the original to make it even and to enable you to have a tab to take the hot wax off .. What I love about hot wax is that you can really see that it pulls out the hair and you can see the bulb with the follicle ( call me strange but I love to see this) I know I'm getting a good result [emoji5]️
Remember to really work the wax into the hair to allow you to get a good result on the first application of the wax there's nothing worse than having loads of hair left, you can put a little force behind you when you do this and it won't hurt the client at all figure of 8 is generally what I go by.
I agree it does take a bit of time to perfect the application and get used to the product. Although a lot of the new generation hot waxes you don't need to build up the layer in the figure of eight you can apply the wax much thinner and in one layer so it's much faster and more economical..

I scoop up a blob of wax from the side of the pot, so it sits on top of my spatula like jam on a spoon ( can't think of another explanation lol).
Keeping your spatula straight like a paintbrush, apply the wax to the skin and then use your spatula at a 45 degree angle (still straight like a paintbrush) to spread your wax down in a strip. Use light to medium pressure and leave a little bit of a lip at the bottom of the strip. Hope this makes sense! :)

Apply the wax quickly and when you go back to the top of the wax to smooth, come down at the same quick speed and stay in the centre so that it doesn't leave thin bits at the side. You'll soon get used to it.

Latest posts

Back