Struggling with Wella instamatic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmynetballGA

Reaction score
So, I've used these twice this weekend on pre lightened hair. Clean blonde, no yellow tones. Used muted mauve & pink dream, both with colour touch emulsion 1.9, left on for full 20 min development time & you can't see the mauve at all and the pink is barely there. I'm either doing something very wrong or they are rubbish! I'm more inclined to think it's the first option. Any one had any experiences of this colour yet? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410771967.224555.jpg

I'm confused just read up on it on HJI.

It's a semi but you mix it with 1.9%, and it temporary. How is it different from normal CT? What is colour fresh than?

Or is someone in the wella marketing dept incapable of explaining colour?

The hair doesn't look very clean nor light is that just the picture?

The blonde in the picture looks very golden.

I havent used them yet, we are getting them in the salon next week.

It is part of colour touch, just some new tones to add to the range.

The blonde looks like a 9/3, may need a bit more lifting before using a mauve. The colour is designed to be pastel, so it will just neutralise some of the warmth rather than add tone.

Just the picture I think, it's blondor 20vol on a base 7 & 7/17 fine weave highlights. The instamatic has just been balayaged through a couple of sections.

You are supposed to be able to use it on darker bases too for a more subtle finish. If it doesn't show up on pre lightened hair I have no idea how it is meant to show up on darker bases.

It's supposed to last 10 shampoos. The way they are marketing it is that every 2 weeks you could have a different flash put through it. Meh. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410777221.472702.jpg

Maybe you caught more of the darker hair?

Does it come in a tube? How does it differ from say mixing a pastel shade in CT?

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I found that with the Scwarzkopf Blonde me pastel colours, they always come out so weak!

Thats why i prefer to make my own, mix some mixtone with base in different ratios and play around.

Try using 10/0 and 0/66 in a 20/1 ratio, for a mauve.

Its dissapointing when the colours dont do what you expect :sad:

Maybe colour girly. Just really disappointed as they claim to be for hair that isn't pre lightened too. They come in a tube like regular colour touch yes. Development is 5-20 mins dependent on intensity required. I left both for 20 min as the first one could barely be seen at all.
#Bigfatletdown

The salon I rent a chair in got these last week. I use Goldwell but they do look lovely colours anyway my "landlady" did highlights and used the mauve on the mid-length and ends to even out the unwanted warmer colour.
Maybe for the pastel effects they're more effective on very ashy white tones but similar to Goldwell elumen that they add tone on darker hair. So possibly the mauve would be more suited to use on cool colours with no warmth to neutralise

My client has full head bleach and I used muted mauve and i was disappointed.

I used on dry hair and left 20 mins. I used only at root area like a root stretch and it just toned it, with a hint..

Also u only mix it 1-1... Which is rubbish cause it don't go far!!

So, I've used these twice this weekend on pre lightened hair. Clean blonde, no yellow tones. Used muted mauve & pink dream, both with colour touch emulsion 1.9, left on for full 20 min development time & you can't see the mauve at all and the pink is barely there. I'm either doing something very wrong or they are rubbish! I'm more inclined to think it's the first option. Any one had any experiences of this colour yet? View attachment 74991

I have bleached hair and used the pink and lilac and they worked great I used 1.9% with it and had it under heat for 25mins

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. It's supposed to be a diffused colour like a filter has been put over. Not a full coverage. So let's hope its good!

Last edited:
I have bleached hair and used the pink and lilac and they worked great I used 1.9% with it and had it under heat for 25mins

Did u take any pics?

I'm with Jamiereid
I prefer to mix my own.
Get onto the Creative Colour course. They give you pages of pre measured formulas.

I'm with Jamiereid
I prefer to mix my own.
Get onto the Creative Colour course. They give you pages of pre measured formulas.

Have u got copies of the formulas x

I ve used them in the last week ....not so sure I m impressed with them .....wasted on anything darker as a base 10. Then on the up side , cleaned a full bleach into a great silver blonde just not lilac :(

I ve used them in the last week ....not so sure I m impressed with them .....wasted on anything darker as a base 10. Then on the up side , cleaned a full bleach into a great silver blonde just not lilac :(

Even on the posters and you tube videos it's not very noticeable on wella's models.

I've used the muted mauve on a full head pre lightener toned with 9/16 CT & smudged it through the fringe area & put under heat for 15 min & was more noticeable

Ive just seen this on the wella Facebook page. This was done by wella so I guess this is all we can expect for the results ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1411133257.486325.jpg

This is not my work. Taken from wella facebook

Latest posts

Back