Stuck at a crossroad - where do I go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xs21

Reaction score
i apologise in advance if this post gets quite long.

ok so, i'm a level 3 trained hair stylist with a loyal and large clientele. i manage and run a salon with my mother, the salon has been open for 17 years this year and i have been working there since i was 18 (am 25 now). my mother is 60 now and ideally wants to work part time instead of full time now that she's nearing retirement age, which i am very keen for her to do.

my conundrum is this - a few years ago, a new landlord purchased the premises and neighbouring units (shops) and TRIPLED our rent! his attitude was 'if you don't like it, there's someone else who will be in here tomorrow.' anyway we accepted, and signed a 10 year lease (currently 4 years into said lease). in the leasing agreement he inputted a clause that we CANNOT sell the business. out of 'goodwill' he knocked £250 a month off the rent, but it is still an eye watering amount for what we get.

pros of the salon, an abundance of free parking directly outside, walking trade, great community, 2 schools opposite, a small supermarket next door.

cons of the salon, the buildings have fallen into ruin, the roof is leaking a lot during heavy rainfall and we are constantly replacing ceiling tiles, the back door is damp 6 months after replacing it (he made US pay for that and he sent the workmen out), the whole block of units is a bit of an eye sore, needs major tlc.

my dilemma is this. when my mother retires completely, she will have nothing to show for her hard work except a state pension. she wants to work part time now (3 days a week) and still take home the wage she is on now. i would give my mother the whole world if i could, however could i even afford it? if i take on the salon, i'd like to change the name, and it needs major updating (costing thousands, replastering walls, repainting, new flooring, new cutting stations etc..). if i changed the name, would it effect our rent agreement?

i am nearly 26 now, and i still live at home. i want more for myself. i am a good stylist, and i want new opportunities. i have been offered salons to rent which are far cheaper albeit little or no parking or walking trade. i see other stylists like me with similar clientele and similar services i provide earning fortunes with their own businesses. i love what i do, and i love my mother to death. i just don't know whether to gamble and spend thousands doing out the salon (it desperately needs it) and risk the landlord putting our rent up again at the end of the agreement. there is nowhere else in my area where i could rent a shop with some of the benefits like the one we have now, leaky roof or not! and even then, i would more or less be leaving my mother to struggle.

if i left the salon, so would a lot of profits. if it wasn't for me, the salon probably wouldn't still be open now. i am nervous to bring this subject up with my mother for i don't want to offend her. my partner and i can't even afford to move out as i am still on the same wage most 18/19 year olds are on, and i feel i am more or less robbing my mother if i work mobile aswell, and it would be exhausting working full time managing a business and working mobile. do i live my life revolving around my mother like it is now, do i take on the salon as my own and refurbish it completely and pay my mother full time wage whilst working part time, with the risk of rent going higher again and the roof collapsing, or do i move on and open my own salon, taking my mothers years of hard work leaving her with nothing? if i opened my own salon i would take her with me, at a risk of her losing her own clients. what would you do?

i feel as though i am stuck between the devil and the deep sea. my life is on hold just because of work, if i carry on like this i doubt i will ever be able to afford to buy a house or drive a nice car and have a happy and prosperous future.

First question. Is your lease legal? Have you had someone look at it for you? If your business was failing and you couldn't pay the rent then you're out anyway regardless of what the lease says so why wouldn't he want you to sell. Did you get legal advice before signing? Is it a full repairing lease? Often landlords are responsible for the outside and you for the inside.

I think your mum probably knows it's a bit shit. She sounds like a clever lady who has built a successful business. Do you get no other benefits from this apart from your wage?

I'm particularly interested as I employ my daughter and am now 52 and will probably be doing what your mum is doing. My daughter is in a good wage and has a company car which she chose over a pay rise.

There's a lot to think about. What sort of turnover have you got and what rent are you paying in comparison and what sort of salary are you paying yourselves? Lots of questions and please pm me if you'd prefer.

Vic x

Lease is completely legal and was overseen by solicitors etc. Business is making money however hardly a massive sum like it was before rent was increased. Our prices need to go up too (£36 for full head tint + cut & blow dry using majirel colours! Ludicrous) never missed a rent payment in the 17 years we've been there. We are responsible for inside yes and landlord is for outside.

I respect my mother so much she is an ideal role model, this is her 4th and last salon. As for my own benefits, I suppose I am very lucky, she pays half my car finance & full car insurance. I will PM you wage details etc..

If the landlords is responsible for outside he needs to fix the leaks etc.

I personally think your mum has a good idea of what needs to be done. It's it worth talking over with her.

Your rent does seem a lot for what you have and where you are.

It's not going to sort itself bit I honestly think you need to talk to your mum x

If the landlords is responsible for outside he needs to fix the leaks etc.

I personally think your mum has a good idea of what needs to be done. It's it worth talking over with her.

Your rent does seem a lot for what you have and where you are.

It's not going to sort itself bit I honestly think you need to talk to your mum x

I just don't know what to do. Do I stay and make a go of it there, or move on to somewhere else? If i move on, it would be on my own, I could never work for someone else now, not sure whether to refurb the shop and try have a chat with the landlord and see if I can sway him. We told him about the leaks 18 months ago but nothing has been done. He is renting out a unit next door which is 3 times the size of ours for half the price!! It is a dance and fitness studio so he may be calculating that rent based on the return that business Would get, but it's closed now and may be turning into a beauty salon for nails, sunbeds, tans & makeup so I'd be furious if that rent stayed half the price of ours

Latest posts

Back