Stuck in a horrible job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupcakeTheCat

Reaction score
I really need some advice. I have recently qualified as a laser technician and immediately found a job at a laser clinic. Before I even started they stressed that they will still send me for laser training that I will have to pay for if I leave before working a year there. All of this seemed pretty reasonable for me as loads of places do this and I didn't mind another certificate. My suspicion began when they stated that I will have to do the training before I can start working (even though the first week would have been shadowing only) so pretty much forced me into the training as soon as they could. Now for the training. What I expected was some sort of accredited course but all it was was a therapist explaining how the machine works in between clients. I didn't even get to use the laser during the so called training as they didn't book models! What came as an even bigger surprise is that they valued this training at 500 pounds! Ignoring all that I was excited to start work. Until I met the manager. A girl two years older than me that thinks she runs the whole thing. Now I have never met someone who is this bad at their job. She has a nasty attitude towards customers, does the bare minimum, changes people's days off according to when she needs a day off, does not answer calls or emails and expects the therapists to do it. Now I've only been at this place a month and I am more than done with her attitude. The days are fully booked with clients back to back yet she still manages to book clients in after work hours! The place is highly sales driven yet she doesn't seem to care if we lose customers due to her nasty attitude. The problem is that I really enjoy the job but can't stand the manager and I think she can feel that as she never includes me in any conversations and even when discussing my own working hours while I'm standing right next to her she won't say a word to me. I feel like she puts herself so high above everyone else. Now I am stuck with this nasty woman as I don't want to pay for the crappy training they have provided me even though I have an offer to go work at a different clinic. Anyone ever been in situations like these? How do you ignore such self centered people?

Leave. No point hanging around in such an unprofessional salon. Did you sign a contract agreeing to pay for this sham training?

I have not really signed any contract so far but when I was getting the information about the job it did say that if I leave I will have to pay back the training costs. Would that still be valid without a contract?

Was that verbal? Did you sign anything?

Sounds bloody awful. They'd be hard pushed to get the money out of you. My member of staff agreed verbally to my training suggestions but I would expect that I would have to prove what I'm charging her for - I can't pick a random figure out of the air.

Good luck x

I haven't signed anything and have been informed of having to pay for the training via email.
I really wouldn't mind paying for the training if I had anything to show for it to any potential future employers but I did not receive any certificate or proof of attendance. All the girls that attended it with me were underwhelmed as well as we at least expected to practice using the laser considering it was supposed to be training.
Might have to contact Acas to figure out where I stand when it comes to this

I understand they didn't tell you the cost of the course upfront? I would think they don't have a great leg to stand on. But getting in touch with arcades wouldn't be wrong to do. Hope it works out for you and you can leave. X

Does your insurance company provide a legal helpline?.

Some home insurance policies do too.

I'm not an expert but I did work for a law firm many moons ago..

If you did the 'training' then you should have been given a certificate of attendance or qualification. Without that then there isn't really any proof that proper training was provided.

Try and speak to a lawyer or legal advice line and see where you would stand.

She sounds like a right pain, I wouldn't stick about for that!

Latest posts

Back