Stuck on 1 and 1/2 hour backfills?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
Hey all. I have gotten faster, but I seem to be stuck at 1 and 1/2 hour backfills and I need to get down to one hour. Any advice? I will detail my routine below:

1. Rebalance the nail with coarse sanding band and remove shine from new growth. Shorten the tips to desired lenth.

2. With a 2 week carbide backfill bit I cut in the new smile line and blend it out.

3. Remove dust with a brush.

4. Disinfect and dehydrate with scrubfresh.

5. Apply primer.

6. Apply all my whites.

7. Apply all my pinks.

8. Using a carbide bit I refine the shape of the nail.

9. Using a sanding band I go around the cuticle area.

10. Using a 180 grit file I shape the free edge, tuck in the sidewalls and shape the top of the nail (the arch).

11. Buff and apply oil.

12. Have client wash and return to my seat for clear coat.

This is taking me 1 and 1/2 hours. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

why do you need help hun????....
your doing a good job and i bet you have no complaints about your work.....
dont worry on time...there is no time....the best results are when you take it nice and easy and if that means 1 and 1/2 hours,then so be it....
some of us maybe faster or slower than you....does not mean we or you are bad...just us and you xxxx:lol:

why do you need to get down to an hour?? I take an hour and a half and im not gonna bust my ass to whack out sets cos in the long run ill be cutting corners and have my clients come back for repairs cos I was in a rush and skipped bits. its much beter to take a little longer and get perfect results first time xx

The salon I work for is pushing me to get down to an hour. Also, clients that have had hour long fills complain sometimes that I take too long. I don't know where you live but here in NY nail techs do about an hour and it is frowned upon if you take longer than that. I am with you though, I would rather focus on my quality rather than my speed. My speed will come with time, but if I focus on speed now, then my quality is going to suffer. Either way I'm screwed lol :)

I agree with the others. 1 1/2 hours is perfectly fine for a back fill. I've worked techs that took up to 2 hours for one. I have had clients come from a fast service salon, and then were a little taken back when I took 1 1/2 hours for a back fill.. but they were so happy with the results that they always come back. Do your very best... that's all that really matters.

Thanks everyone for your support. I don't feel as bad now. I remember the best nail tech I ever went to took 1 and 1/2 hours. I think that quality is more important. :Grope:

i think one and half hours is perfectly acceptable

dont sweat about it xxx

have you tried using your efile to thin the whole enhancement down and reapply the product on top. sometimes cutting in smiles accurately can take people longer to do than recreating the smile line with fresh acrylic.

I actually thought about trying that. I didn't know if it would interfere with a crisp smile line or not. I will try it on one of my friends next time to check out the timing issue. I was worried about doing this because I wanted to avoid shadows.

And if so, does it turn out just as nice? Is there any shadowing visible? And is it faster??? Thanks all! :green:

And if so, does it turn out just as nice? Is there any shadowing visible? And is it faster??? Thanks all! :green:

i usually do it like this, and i never have shadows. you just have to make sure you remove enough of the pink that is right where the new white will go. this way it allows the white product to go on at a decent thicknes and it wont be thinned out when you finish file. this prevents any shadowing because the white is dense enough to cover the remaining product underneath it.

i get a pink and white backfill done in about 1 and a quarter hours or just over an hour if the nails are shorter. assuming there arent loads of repairs to do of course.

Ok I'm confused now. I believed that a backfill was just filling where the growth is, but from your explanation you are doing a rebalance which normally takes 1 1/2 for me, when backfill takes 1 hour.
Is it possible to do a rebalance in just one hour guys? if so I need to be a lot quicker:eek:

Why don't you finish with CND's glossing buffer, it has only two sides to it and is really quick. This would give you more time as your client wouldn't need to wash her hands and then for you to apply top coat and wait for it to dry. Their nails are shiney until their next appointment.

Just and idea as I know some clients can get lost when they go and wash their hands!

Ok I'm confused now. I believed that a backfill was just filling where the growth is, but from your explanation you are doing a rebalance which normally takes 1 1/2 for me, when backfill takes 1 hour.
Is it possible to do a rebalance in just one hour guys? if so I need to be a lot quicker:eek:

by backfill i meant rebalance.
i think it is possible to do a rebalance in 1 hour IF client has small short nails with no cracks, breaks or lifting. but in reality most clients do have bits that need extra attention most times.

i have seen good rebalances by VERY experienced techs in 1 hour.
i think its a goal that most of us would like to reach. either to allow us to make extra revenue by taking on extra clients or by freeing up time for our personal lives.

whilst i occasionally get nearish to 1 hr its fairly rare. most times there will be little extras to deal with and maybe nail art too. so i think 1 1/2 hours is fine for a quality job.

by backfill i meant rebalance.
i think it is possible to do a rebalance in 1 hour IF client has small short nails with no cracks, breaks or lifting. but in reality most clients do have bits that need extra attention most times.

i have seen good rebalances by VERY experienced techs in 1 hour.
i think its a goal that most of us would like to reach. either to allow us to make extra revenue by taking on extra clients or by freeing up time for our personal lives.

whilst i occasionally get nearish to 1 hr its fairly rare. most times there will be little extras to deal with and maybe nail art too. so i think 1 1/2 hours is fine for a quality job.

I agree with everything said here. I can do a french rebalance on a few of my clients in an hour, as angel fingers has said, yep, they are the ones with no lift or breaks and with short nails . . . I would always allow myself 1 1/2 hours for a rebalance in case it took longer because it can do. this is fine imo. Don't worry you're doing good.

Latest posts

Back