Stuck with what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie101

Reaction score
Sorry if im about to go on but I need ideas! :|
I have finished my level 3 beauty and have done minimum treatments since qualifying. I don't know whether to pick another career (I would like to work as a social worker with small children somewhere like the nspcc) or do I stick with beauty until I can finally get somewhere?!

I don't want to rent a room as my boyfriend has a room I can work from (currently full of his mates stuff while his finding a house) but then I don't want to add more money onto his home insurance etc and I feel I wont get enough clients to drop my current 2 jobs and as my hours are unpredictable it would be hard to book in clients any more then a week in advance and my current wages aren't really covering much so I dread to think ill have to buy more products with them!
I don't drive so cant go mobile and don't fancy getting a bus with my couch (and buses aren't reliable). - I am learning to drive next year though!
I cant work in a spa as they aren't really by bus stops and I would basically work for my taxi fare!

My sister suggested doing extra beauty courses until I learn to drive but even then there around £200++ each course which I don't really have the money to do. I have all the equipment to carry out facials, waxing, spray tans,manicures, massage, pedicures, tinting etc but no clients (I haven't yet brought insurance so haven't advertised as I have nowhere to carry out the treatments). I don't want to give up beauty but im thinking should I go down another career path and then do beauty on the side once I have set hours in a job and can do beauty from home etc on the nights and weekends or days off? I can do beauty treatments on family whilst training in another career? or wont this work?

I love doing beauty but nowhere employs you anymore its all rent a room and that's not what I want. My dad and mom will just think I didn't want to do it anyway which is a lie and I feel they will be disappointed in me as ive done level 2 hairdressing and hated now level 2 and 3 beauty but nothings come of it :(

Someone help I don't fancy been a sales assistant for the rest of my life! :cry:xx

Sorry if im about to go on but I need ideas! :|
I have finished my level 3 beauty and have done minimum treatments since qualifying. I don't know whether to pick another career (I would like to work as a social worker with small children somewhere like the nspcc) or do I stick with beauty until I can finally get somewhere?!

I don't want to rent a room as my boyfriend has a room I can work from (currently full of his mates stuff while his finding a house) but then I don't want to add more money onto his home insurance etc and I feel I wont get enough clients to drop my current 2 jobs and as my hours are unpredictable it would be hard to book in clients any more then a week in advance and my current wages aren't really covering much so I dread to think ill have to buy more products with them!
I don't drive so cant go mobile and don't fancy getting a bus with my couch (and buses aren't reliable). - I am learning to drive next year though!
I cant work in a spa as they aren't really by bus stops and I would basically work for my taxi fare!

My sister suggested doing extra beauty courses until I learn to drive but even then there around £200++ each course which I don't really have the money to do. I have all the equipment to carry out facials, waxing, spray tans,manicures, massage, pedicures, tinting etc but no clients (I haven't yet brought insurance so haven't advertised as I have nowhere to carry out the treatments). I don't want to give up beauty but im thinking should I go down another career path and then do beauty on the side once I have set hours in a job and can do beauty from home etc on the nights and weekends or days off? I can do beauty treatments on family whilst training in another career? or wont this work?

I love doing beauty but nowhere employs you anymore its all rent a room and that's not what I want. My dad and mom will just think I didn't want to do it anyway which is a lie and I feel they will be disappointed in me as ive done level 2 hairdressing and hated now level 2 and 3 beauty but nothings come of it :(

Someone help I don't fancy been a sales assistant for the rest of my life! :cry:xx

Sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of it to me??? Your mind seems made up that it's not for you????

I think it really is up to you...no one here can decide for you?!

One thing I will say is if you don't try, you will never know!! I was a social worker before turning to beauty (didn't hate social work but the stress levels were too high) and beauty more specifically nails is what I really want to do... It's my passion, and nothing makes me happier it's hard getting into the industry yes, I've really struggled and been let down and taken for a ride so many times but I'm determind to get into it.

Just calm down, stop thinking if all the obstacles first and start thinking of all the things u got going for u to make if- you have a room you can use, amazing/ that's more than alot of us. You have the qualifications and as you have jobs currently you are in a great position to build up slowly till u can drop back from those roles. I've just picked out a lot of positives about your situation as I do for myself too- but my hearts fully in it so no obstacle is too great for me!

But if your hearts not in it then it won't work for you!

Last edited:
Sounds like your trying to talk yourself out of it to me??? Your mind seems made up that it's not for you????

I think it really is up to you...no one here can decide for you?!

One thing I will say is if you don't try, you will never know!! I was a social worker before turning to beauty (didn't hate social work but the stress levels were too high) and beauty more specifically nails is what I really want to do... It's my passion, and nothing makes me happier it's hard getting into the industry yes, I've really struggled and been let down and taken for a ride so many times but I'm determind to get into it.

Just calm down, stop thinking if all the obstacles first and start thinking of all the things u got going for u to make if- you have a room you can use, amazing/ that's more than alot of us. You have the qualifications and as you have jobs currently you are in a great position to build up slowly till u can drop back from those roles. I've just picked out a lot of positives about your situation as I do for myself too- but my hearts fully in it so no obstacle is too great for me!

But if your hearts not in it then it won't work for you!

Thanks for replying I definitely have my days with it the only people I do treatments on are family an 9 times out of 10 there's no payment 😒 I just feel like it would suit me better doing it in as something on the side I love doing treatments but then days I feel like I don't want to do them if that makes sense? I'm not sure, i think I really need a long think of this one 😔xx

Thanks for replying I definitely have my days with it the only people I do treatments on are family an 9 times out of 10 there's no payment 😒 I just feel like it would suit me better doing it in as something on the side I love doing treatments but then days I feel like I don't want to do them if that makes sense? I'm not sure, i think I really need a long think of this one 😔xx

Well then maybe it's not for you... I guess you have to work out what else (if anything) is? And then work out a way of combining the two! If beauty is just a hobby then keep it at that.. You don't have to give it up completely!

Well then maybe it's not for you... I guess you have to work out what else (if anything) is? And then work out a way of combining the two! If beauty is just a hobby then keep it at that.. You don't have to give it up completely!

I think that's what I'm going to do (keep it as a hobby) thank you for replying now just got to work out what actually is for me, how did you get into social work if you don't mind me asking? X

I think that's what I'm going to do (keep it as a hobby) thank you for replying now just got to work out what actually is for me, how did you get into social work if you don't mind me asking? X

I originally done a degree in media at 18, then I was working with homeless people in a shelter and that sort of lede into social care- I then worked with care leavers in a housing setting and signed up and done a two year masters in social work!

Worked in it for three years but I struggled cos I was young and a single mum! I always loved beauty, and was having an awful time at work so I eventually decided to leave and re train - best thing I ever did!
Xxx

Abbie, I too would love to go in to social work. Infact it is why I came back to beauty. I did 2 years at college, drifted away from beauty. I went back in to beauty part time at a friend of a friends salon, & worked part time as a 1-2-1 carer.

I called up my local college to discuss an access to HE course. It was full time (over 16 hours) & the same amount of time was expected out of college to do course work. I would be classed as a mature student & pay for the course.

The tutor I had call me back, actually said she wouldnt accept me on the course as I worked too many hours (I have a house to pay for!) that the course would be too much.

Charming!

So I went to a uni open day, & tutor there agreed, & said that Id struggle with uni if I needed to work so much.

I then thought I need a job that I can be flexible with. I did a gel nail course, bought kits for things I enjoyed & went mobile.
Built my kit up as I went along & I really enjoy it.

Ive halved my hours in my employed job, think I like my care job & the perks too much (holiday/sick pay etc) to ever give it up fully.

Im now not sure if to spend the next 4-5 years studying when Im happy with what I do.

Sorry Ive rambled on.

If you haven't already, go to a uni open day... They should be happening around now til March. They give you valuable information, on grades, how the course runs which college HE courses they prefer. (Most uni's have just upped entry requirements so best to check) you also need hours of work experience paid or unpaid.

Exciting. Keep us posted Id love to hear how you get on. 🍀 good luck. Xx

There are too many buts here Abbie! I don't feel you are passionate enough though, otherwise you would create more positives than negatives and wouldn't let anything stand in your way. Like someone else said (sorry, I can't remember who) if you don't try you will never know. It's better to have tried and failed than never to try at all. Why not get yourself into gear, give it a go and if it's not for you then at least you will have tried. You never know once you get started it could re-ignite a little passion xx

There are too many buts here Abbie! I don't feel you are passionate enough though, otherwise you would create more positives than negatives and wouldn't let anything stand in your way. Like someone else said (sorry, I can't remember who) if you don't try you will never know. It's better to have tried and failed than never to try at all. Why not get yourself into gear, give it a go and if it's not for you then at least you will have tried. You never know once you get started it could re-ignite a little passion xx

Totally agree with Tonicj. Sit down quietly, keep your mind calm, and think things through and decide what you really want to do.

I do agree with this but nearly all my life I've been called a negative person haha i always see the worse in everything and never the positive :( x

Abbie, I too would love to go in to social work. Infact it is why I came back to beauty. I did 2 years at college, drifted away from beauty. I went back in to beauty part time at a friend of a friends salon, & worked part time as a 1-2-1 carer.

I called up my local college to discuss an access to HE course. It was full time (over 16 hours) & the same amount of time was expected out of college to do course work. I would be classed as a mature student & pay for the course.

The tutor I had call me back, actually said she wouldnt accept me on the course as I worked too many hours (I have a house to pay for!) that the course would be too much.

Charming!

So I went to a uni open day, & tutor there agreed, & said that Id struggle with uni if I needed to work so much.

I then thought I need a job that I can be flexible with. I did a gel nail course, bought kits for things I enjoyed & went mobile.
Built my kit up as I went along & I really enjoy it.

Ive halved my hours in my employed job, think I like my care job & the perks too much (holiday/sick pay etc) to ever give it up fully.

Im now not sure if to spend the next 4-5 years studying when Im happy with what I do.

Sorry Ive rambled on.

If you haven't already, go to a uni open day... They should be happening around now til March. They give you valuable information, on grades, how the course runs which college HE courses they prefer. (Most uni's have just upped entry requirements so best to check) you also need hours of work experience paid or unpaid.

Exciting. Keep us posted Id love to hear how you get on. 🍀 good luck. Xx

Haha that's fine I rambled to 😁 well I looked into and a lot of courses want a levels which I didn't do and went into hairdressing then beauty 😒 A lot of courses I've looked at are all pretty much the same wanting certain a levels or previous qualifications which I don't have so no idea how to get into this either 😔 xx

I originally done a degree in media at 18, then I was working with homeless people in a shelter and that sort of lede into social care- I then worked with care leavers in a housing setting and signed up and done a two year masters in social work!

Worked in it for three years but I struggled cos I was young and a single mum! I always loved beauty, and was having an awful time at work so I eventually decided to leave and re train - best thing I ever did!
Xxx

I've seen a social media course but wasn't to sure what this covered and what would come out of the course so looked past that, I've looked at apprenticeships but most are with older people an I want to work with children if I did this 😔xx

I do agree with this but nearly all my life I've been called a negative person haha i always see the worse in everything and never the positive :( x

Being negative isn't working for you Abbie so why not turn it around otherwise you will spend your life jumping from one thing to another and giving nothing a chance. You will never get satisfaction this way and you will always be left wondering "what if".

Haha that's fine I rambled to 😁 well I looked into and a lot of courses want a levels which I didn't do and went into hairdressing then beauty 😒 A lot of courses I've looked at are all pretty much the same wanting certain a levels or previous qualifications which I don't have so no idea how to get into this either 😔 xx

If you have maths & english both at C or above (not sure exactly what else you need) you can look at an access to higher education course. Its 1 year, but pretty full on, you also need to aim for distinctions on your access course. Its your A level. Which means you can apply for uni. You also get points for work experience (its a must). Be it paid or unpaid.
I really enjoyed the uni open day, it made me want to do it even more. But you need to try to get 5 mins with a tutor to see the best way to get what you need.

I wish I knew at 16 what I would have wanted to do. But with no life experience other than working in a hairdressers, thats why I did hair & beauty. But my parents always said its good to have a trade to fall back on & right now they were right 😊.

After working in care, that got me interested in social work. Id love to work with adults though, I think the children would break my heart.

When I finished hair & beauty at 18 I wanted to do another course, my Auntie said (probably right too) that I wanted to stay in education as it was my comfort zone & what Id been use to. Don't get me wrong I always worked aswell part time from being 14.

Im off again 😜 xx

If you have maths & english both at C or above (not sure exactly what else you need) you can look at an access to higher education course. Its 1 year, but pretty full on, you also need to aim for distinctions on your access course. Its your A level. Which means you can apply for uni. You also get points for work experience (its a must). Be it paid or unpaid.
I really enjoyed the uni open day, it made me want to do it even more. But you need to try to get 5 mins with a tutor to see the best way to get what you need.

I wish I knew at 16 what I would have wanted to do. But with no life experience other than working in a hairdressers, thats why I did hair & beauty. But my parents always said its good to have a trade to fall back on & right now they were right 😊.

After working in care, that got me interested in social work. Id love to work with adults though, I think the children would break my heart.

When I finished hair & beauty at 18 I wanted to do another course, my Auntie said (probably right too) that I wanted to stay in education as it was my comfort zone & what Id been use to. Don't get me wrong I always worked aswell part time from being 14.

Im off again 😜 xx

Yeah I needed gcse a levels and a degree to do my masters but if your just aiming for degree then you will need decent a levels and some kind of work experience

The older you are doing social work the better! It's long hours, hard if you have young children and if you wee 16 no one would take you seriously so it's probably best that your doing it now!

You will hand to go two placements whole your training one with adults and one with children then once your qualified you can get a job in both believe it or not I found the old peoples placement harder to cope with, mine was with dementia patients some who were bring abused and exploited by their own families, so so sad!
X

I've seen a social media course but wasn't to sure what this covered and what would come out of the course so looked past that, I've looked at apprenticeships but most are with older people an I want to work with children if I did this 😔xx

No social media is like Facebook twitter etc, sounds pretty interesting though still! Like I said before you will still have to work with older people on the social work training you have to do two placements one in kids and one in adults!

Try getting some voluntary work as they will want to see you have done something before you apply for the course! I did some shadowing work in social services and I worked with young care leavers before I even applied!

Yeah I needed gcse a levels and a degree to do my masters but if your just aiming for degree then you will need decent a levels and some kind of work experience

The older you are doing social work the better! It's long hours, hard if you have young children and if you wee 16 no one would take you seriously so it's probably best that your doing it now!

You will hand to go two placements whole your training one with adults and one with children then once your qualified you can get a job in both believe it or not I found the old peoples placement harder to cope with, mine was with dementia patients some who were bring abused and exploited by their own families, so so sad!
X

Unfortunately Im not doing it now. Yes I see with no life experience id have been at a disadvantage, being younger. but I didnt bother with my A levels :( really should have. Id have to do HE access first. The course price has also doubled in the last 2 years, its around £1,600. (my friend paid that for uni! Back when we were 18-19 yrs old)

Aww that sounds awful 😢 poor old people.

Did you end up working with children? Xx

Im off again 😜 xx

I have a b & c in English and c in maths too... I might have a look in to voluntary work so I can get experience an see if it is for me and try going to a uni open day, I do really like being a geek haha so ill have a look at that access to higher education course you mentioned too! Thanks everyone for your responses I really appreciate it! I dont want to give up beauty I do love carrying out the treatments just don't think it's for me to do it all day everyday! :) xx

X

Well I'm 19 so I won't be an older student but I can say I am very mature for my age (trying not to blow my own trumpet) haha xx

I have a b & c in English and c in maths too... I might have a look in to voluntary work so I can get experience an see if it is for me and try going to a uni open day, I do really like being a geek haha so ill have a look at that access to higher education course you mentioned too! Thanks everyone for your responses I really appreciate it! I dont want to give up beauty I do love carrying out the treatments just don't think it's for me to do it all day everyday! :) xx

Keep us posted 😊 At least with beauty it could be something you could do to earn money whilst you are learning full time. It may be worth looking at a small set up & choosing your own hours, or being mobile when you are driving. Xx

Latest posts

Back