Student advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluemire

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I am asking on behalf of a stylist who is one assessment away from qualifying. She works in a different salon but wants to come work with me when she finishes her course.
So she fell pregnant while doing her training, through no fault of her own the lecturer at college fell ill and couldn't do her final assessment. Her current boss has taken over the roll as assessor but has told her she is not allowed to complete her final assessment. Does anyone know if her boss and current assessor is just being awkward?? Can she use her "keeping in touch days" to complete her assessment?

Thanks in advance.

They have probably gotten to know her and what she’s like through her time there or she’s made them aware she will be leaving...no point training someone that isn’t planning on sticking around and she could well have pushed it too far (forgetting the pregnancy altogether) she could just not be a good employee. If would make me wonder why I was so keen to hire her if she can’t finish college. Students make excuses all the time, she might not have completed the relevant work because the person has left so need further training and to resit another time...it is very unlikely they would just say no unless there has been a problem.

That sounds a bit bizarre. Is her boss not allowing her to graduate to ensure they don’t have to pay maternity pay or hold open her job after she returns from having the baby?
I think she should contact the college in the first instance and ask them to arrange for her to take her final assessment.

Ideally, she needs to get the refusal in writing, then she can take it further. At the moment, it’s all just heresay.

I had a boss like that she wouldn’t let me do my last 2 assessments she said everyone was too busy to train me but really it was because if I qualified she would have to pay me more and she didn’t want that. She liked to get me to do clients and charge them full price, I was an apprentice so they should’ve been charged less or told I was training but they weren’t and so the salon made more money because I was on an apprentice wage. I ended up having to spend a year at college just to finish my training. If any of her training is done through college or anything she could try speaking to them to see if they can help xx

Latest posts

Back