Student grumble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LysaLyth

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I have done a bunch of accredited courses... then decided college was better, So I am about half way through of my level 2.

What should I be researching? my class is made up of very different characters, which is fine, and we all learn at different paces. Of course this is fine... thats normal... but I am a really academic person and I feel like I am constantly..waiting I guess?

I practice the actual treatments continuously as well, and I am happy with my progress, and i get told often that people look to me as someone that has experience.. but i KNOW I can do more.

my question really. Is are there anything i should be looking into now? Anatomy/products/business planning etc.. what do you all think?

Thank you

Sounds like you are ready to be working in a salon on your non college days. Good experience even if you plan to go self employed

Sounds like you are ready to be working in a salon on your non college days. Good experience even if you plan to go self employed

Really? thank you! I wouldn't even know where to start with that one.. I have a good CV which is a start xx

You sound like me when I was training :D look at level 3 stuff get a head start on that

You sound like me when I was training :D look at level 3 stuff get a head start on that

I haven't decided what to do on level 3 yet... I'm hoping that I will be a bit more clued up by Jan at the latest! what did you do for your level 3?

I'm hair not beauty isn't a level 3 a standard set of items to cover tho? I.e get a lv3 text book and read read read :)

Hi get brushing up on your A&P you can never do enough of that and you will need it for level 3. Good luck

I think so many of the level 3 treatments are popular...just look at massage and all it's options ( aromatherapy, massage, bamboo, hot stone ) I'm not sure it is feasible to work in beauty without a level 3, so get some level 3 stuff to look at.
I'd suggest salon experience...That's something I never had as I went self employed straight away ( massage route) and I think I missed out.

Hi... so I posted before that I was bored at college. well upon your advice.... I have a little bit of work/salon experience. I want to make a good impression so would you lovelies be able to let me know what daily jobs a salon needs to have done? I have a pretty extensive list already but I don't want to miss anything out.

Thank you xx

I'm sure they will give you jobs to do but if your at a loose end, ask if they need any foils cutting for later, do they have any brushes or rollers that need de-hairing & washing. Offer to pass up foils or if it's OK to observe whilst they are cutting or styling. Sort out magazines, see if they need any old ones binning. Well done for getting some work experience, I bet they will appreciate an extra pair of hands this time of year!

My tip is try and receive as many treatments from other students, I learnt a lot from others, in terms of what felt good and maybe not so good! And also, you will never receive as many treatments in such a short time as you will at college so make the most :p! x

Hi get brushing up on your A&P you can never do enough of that and you will need it for level 3. Good luck

Yes definitely, I did occupational therapy at uni, so i am well versed in a and p... but even now i do a little every day xx

I think so many of the level 3 treatments are popular...just look at massage and all it's options ( aromatherapy, massage, bamboo, hot stone ) I'm not sure it is feasible to work in beauty without a level 3, so get some level 3 stuff to look at.
I'd suggest salon experience...That's something I never had as I went self employed straight away ( massage route) and I think I missed out.

Thank you, thats exactly what i am doing at present :)

My tip is try and receive as many treatments from other students, I learnt a lot from others, in terms of what felt good and maybe not so good! And also, you will never receive as many treatments in such a short time as you will at college so make the most :p! x

Haha, do you know something, i actually really don't enjoy having the treatments done on myself... but the other people in my class need to learn too plus it gives me an understanding of how the client feels too.

Hi guys, I also asked my tutor for extra work... she was more than happy xx

Latest posts

Back