Student mentor idea - what do you all think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyday

Reaction score
As one of the providers of the dreaded one day courses, I have to say that it does worry me what becomes of students once they have completed their training with us. We do offer the NVQ in most subjects, so we get to see how those students progress and feel quite happy that by the time they have passed all their assessments, they are industry ready, but for those that dont go on to take their NVQ, we do wonder how many drop out. We are lucky enough to have a very high re-booking rate, so we know that a high percentage of our students have set up successful home or mobile businesses and some go on to work in salons, so when they come back we usually hear that they are doing really well and have lots of clients.

The question for me is how can we make the process of training in beauty better? The options seem to be spend a year training at a local FE college - not practical for lots of people, or do a short course, but not then have the reassurance of carrying out that treatment in front of your tutor over and over until you are fully confident. Having taught in FE colleges I know this does not always happen there either.

I wondered if a solution would be to have practice days whereby our students could come back a month or two after their training and practice the treatment in front of a student mentor. This would be a very experienced and qualified therapist who could help our students to fine tune their techniques - particularly in subjects like lash extensions, waxing and nail extensions. I would love for these to be free days, but unfortunately will have to cover the costs, ie products, mentors wages etc, but I think it can be quite a low fee. My question is what do therapists who have trained in short courses think of this idea? Would you have taken up this option had it been available and what do you think would have been most helpful to you at the time? How long after your training before you would have benefited from a practice day?

By the way, if anybody is in the Hampshire area and thinks they would make an ideal student mentor, please get in touch with me. You would need to be highly skilled and experienced, particularly in those subjects mentioned. Teaching qualifictions would not be necessary, just ability to multi task and great communicator, with friendly and encouraging nature.

Sorry for the long post, but obviously a lot of ground to cover. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I think this is a great idea and would live to offer the same thing.

I would be worried that students would not take up on those days but if they are serious etc they may well do it. You could also incorporate it into the cost of the day course and make it compulsory?
X

Yes did consider this, but then thought it might be unecessary for some of our students, ie the ones who are already therapists and just adding on an easy to learn (for them) subject, so thought if it was optional it would give people more choice. The ones who need more help could come back several times if they felt they needed the practice, but it wouldnt be compulsory for the ones that didnt. Be great if this is taken up in lots of schools, as think it would really improve the standards.

I did short courses, I would have loved this. I would have preferred for it to built into the course, as have to pay something even £50 when your just starting out can be tough. Where as if its built in to training then it's all paid for and you will more than likely get them back as its seen as "free" maybe they could be compulsory for all students who have no previous beauty experience (ie the full nvq etc, not a day course in facials etc taught with you last week) then for fully qualified beauty therapists can get a discount as the top up classes are not included?

I think it's nice you care about your students when they leave x

Ok great thanks for your input. Will canvas our previous students and see what they think and ask how likely they would be to return. Just conscious of not wanting to put the cost of the courses up as so hard to compete with others who already charge less.

Yes I agree it's hard, don't want to put the prices up but also you can't have two tier prices for those already qualified as that would seem unfair x

We experienced just this problem for many years and its a real worry - especially when students leave from your establishment you want them too be first class - not just qualified!

We opened up a salon whereby we recruited recently qualified therapists on part paid part voluntary contracts for 6 months to take them from qualified to employable!

Its been a huge success - award winning in fact and is now a franchisable business model - we are looking for franchisees and we have hundreds of potential employees across the UK!

Happy to send out info to anyone who is interested.

Latest posts

Back