Student nail tech choosing gel a polish system

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
Firstly, I have had a search of the forum to see if I can find a thread similar, but I can't find any similar enough; I hope I haven't missed something! :(

I'm trying to plan where my nail training will go after my L+P course and planning on training in gel polish. I've had a search, looked at a number of systems and had a few systems done on my own nails at salons; is it just trial and error as to which system you like most?! The five i've aimed my research at is Gelish, Gellux, OPI gelcolor, Shellac and IBD just gel- I've even written down a whole sheet detailing everything out- training costs,number of colours, product costs etc and looking through threads in a similar vein on here, they can be narrowed down to your client base... but I don't have one yet!

I guess I could just train in one then always convert or buy different systems, but for obvious reasons I would much prefer to train with the system/s I am going to use! In salons around me, I tend to see Shellac marketing but then the majority of places using a range of brands; IBD is the one I have heard least about from a salon customer perspective. Starting my training with CND Shellac would be an obvious system, but the big con for me there is the small bottles for the same price as other systems offering the same price bottles at double the size, as well as a smaller range of colours.. (and yes, I know they can be layered and about additives etc)

Do most people use a couple of systems? I'm well aware that technically this would mean separate lamps per system etc.. Or stick to one system? Is it just going to be a case of trial and error?

A slightly bewildered, wondering whether I should've bothered trying to plan ahead newbie looks forward to any input!!:) x

If you don't have a customer base, why not think about the type of client that you wish to attract?

Imagine your perfect customer, what clothes would she wear, what car would she drive, what kind of job would she have, what would her salary be, what kind of holidays would she go on, invent a woman that would be your ideal client ….. and then pick what system you think she would choose. NOT based on the cost to you, but the benefits to her the consumer, because thats what will keep them coming back

I trained with Gelish and can't recommend enough [emoji3]
Training is brilliant , you get support afterwards and are always there to help.
Colour range is fantastic

Clients get 3+ weeks with no chipping , peeling etc.

You can use the foundation and top coat with other systems, I carry a handful of IBD colours too ( ones I can't find gelish offer) they go on great and clients also get 3+ weeks.

Gelish all the way for me x

I've always used Bio sculpture, for gel I found bio sculpture and calgel seemed to be what ge l wearers wanted and are a quality product with vast array of colours. More recently I also offer shellac, there was little point in offering two gel systems, but shellac being a hybrid appeals to the customers who dont want a full gel. It's easy to purchase as wholesalers sell it and easy to apply etc. Hope this helps.

If you don't have a customer base, why not think about the type of client that you wish to attract?

Imagine your perfect customer, what clothes would she wear, what car would she drive, what kind of job would she have, what would her salary be, what kind of holidays would she go on, invent a woman that would be your ideal client ….. and then pick what system you think she would choose. NOT based on the cost to you, but the benefits to her the consumer, because thats what will keep them coming back

This is very good advice. It is very easy to get caught up in our own perspectives and not view things from the perspective of the client.

I chose OPI Gelcolor and Gelish as my primary brands. I chose OPI because I had an existing excellent relationship with the vendor, my clients love OPI rnp and know all the colors, and I like the hybrid base coat for easy removal. I picked Gelish because it is very strong and durable, and the base and top coats can be used with other manufacturer's color coat per HNH instructions. I also use colors from LeChat especially the Mood Collection, Artistic Color Gloss and Cuccio.

Latest posts

Back