Students opinions home salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Industrygeek

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just reinstalled this on my phone can't wait to get stuck back in with everyone!
So I'm looking for your opinions.
I'm looking into moving home for work (personal circumstances)
I also teach nails and beauty.
I have a spare room upstairs in my house big enough to hold small classes.
Students would have to walk through the front door and straight up stairs, not walking through the house or anything. Would you feel comfortable as a student?

I look forward to hearing your responses.
Thank you xx

Hi yes I would feel comfortable doing this x

Yeah, wouldn't bother me at all.

As with the others I'm a student now and this wouldn't bother me at all as I'd be there to learn and sometimes people can feel more relaxed learning in that kind of environment to be fair. As long as everything is clean, presentable and functional where you will be teaching (along with the closest restroom obviously) then this shouldn't hinder you at all from my point of view. Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks guys! Just what I wanted to hear[emoji8][emoji8]

No, I’d be very concerned about personal safety and wondering why you hadn’t rented a room in suitable premises instead.

No, I’d be very concerned about personal safety and wondering why you hadn’t rented a room in suitable premises instead.
What do you mean by personal safety?
Rent can be costly and in areas it's hard to find decent premises that don't cost the earth. X

Both myself & my husband run businesses from home. I do beauty, he teaches maths.
The first things that you will have to check is where you stand with regard to mortgage / landlord agreements & then Council rules such as planning permission.
Planning permission was the big one for us but it does vary according to which part of the country you live in.

With regard to having people coming to your house, you will need plenty of private parking, a downstairs room works better to maintain your own home privacy. Also loo facilities & possibly a waiting area .

Make sure your room is big enough to accommodate the number of students / nail stations / chairs/ stock / equipment / teaching board with good heat, lighting & ventilation.

From a students point of view, as long as the quality of the education was excellent and the room was set up in a professional way (and there would be no distractions from other household members/children) and there was plenty of space for the number of students being taught it wouldn't worry me. I have been on a one day workshop in my educators home and it worked very well. (I did know her already as she'd taught me at college and through other workshops via Salon Services). I am also going on a 1-2-1 workshop next month which is at the educators house.

So after following all of @CFBS's advice above, the question is are you happy to have strangers in your house? Many, many people do and it works fine for them. It didn't work so well for me as clients had to walk through my kitchen and I've got dogs so we converted our detached garage at the end of the garden, but I absolutely love working from home and it doesn't appear to have put anybody off coming to me.

They Would only be walking through my front door and straight upstairs, no distractions as only have a partner no kids, have dogs but they will be shut away. I'm very picky on how I would want it set up so would be very professional x

I'm paranoid as heck and would worry it was in someone's house upstairs for nefarious purposes but that's just me o_O

This is how I run my actual beauty business and my clients all return so can’t be too bad

If I was looking for specific training and was told the trainer worked from home alone, upstairs, I’d need reassurance that the set-up was entirely above board and safe. I’d want to see a well designed website with pictures of the set up and lots of personal recommendations that I could google for confirmation that they were genuine and not fake.

OP, you also need to think about your own personal safety if you’re working from home alone.
What if one of your clients turns out to be a man who ‘identifies as a woman’ and suddenly turns violent? Sadly, it’s not that far fetched these days.

https://www.suzylamplugh.org/Pages/FAQs/Category/personal-safety

I do get what you mean, I already have a full clientele who I have known for years so It won't be new people. With training I do have a website and lots of recommendations already so people will clearly see I'm not take, I also work for a well known company. X

OP, you also need to think about your own personal safety if you’re working from home alone.
What if one of your clients turns out to be a man who ‘identifies as a woman’ and suddenly turns violent? Sadly, it’s not that far fetched these days.

AcidPerm you know I love you, but really?!?

Why would someone who is transgender be any more likely to 'turn violent' than anyone else??? I know some pretty agressive cis women

By that thinking anyone could 'turn violent', although why nail training would trigger any agression is beyond me, so should none of us work from home???. Why is the OP more at risk from this person at home than in some random rented hotel conference room?

AcidPerm you know I love you, but really?!?

Why would someone who is transgender be any more likely to 'turn violent' than anyone else??? I know some pretty agressive cis women

By that thinking anyone could 'turn violent', although why nail training would trigger any agression is beyond me, so should none of us work from home???. Why is the OP more at risk from this person at home than in some random rented hotel conference room?
I think the point is that you are led to believe that they are a woman - a Catfish!

I don’t want to derail this into a Transgender discussion. My post was about taking sensible precautions to ensure personal safety. That’s why I added the link to the Suzi Lamplugh Trust website.

It’s nothing to do with what services the OP is offering, (nail training, beauty treatments etc.), but about women (and men) working alone and therefore automatically being more vulnerable. It’s easy to get blasé and think it won’t happen to me, I live in a safe area, why would anyone want to harm me? etc. Sexual predators don’t walk around wearing a badge.

Whenever anyone has posted here about working mobile and feeling slightly uncomfortable with visiting a particular client we always advise to ‘trust your instincts’ and take sensible additional precautions before the visit. Equally, if you’re going to attend training at someone’s house who you’ve never met before, you need to consider how to ensure your personal safety before you attend the session.

If you’re upstairs and get attacked, where is your escape route?

There have been a number of very serious violent crimes committed by men against women in our industry.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-28327025

A Government Strategy
https://assets.publishing.service.g...AWG_Strategy_FINAL_PUBLICATION_MASTER_vRB.PDF

This isn’t remotely about the Trans community but about keeping ourselves safe against male violence. There’s a particular group of men who abuse self ID and dress up as women pretending to be Transgender in order to perpetrate violence against women. These men are the type who book appointments at the beauty salon demanding a full Brazilian and enjoy causing distress to the unwitting employees. We have had threads on here from geeks who have been targeted by such men.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ho-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

I don’t want to derail this into a Transgender discussion. My post was about taking sensible precautions to ensure personal safety. That’s why I added the link to the Suzi Lamplugh Trust website.

It’s nothing to do with what services the OP is offering, (nail training, beauty treatments etc.), but about women (and men) working alone and therefore automatically being more vulnerable. It’s easy to get blasé and think it won’t happen to me, I live in a safe area, why would anyone want to harm me? etc. Sexual predators don’t walk around wearing a badge.

Whenever anyone has posted here about working mobile and feeling slightly uncomfortable with visiting a particular client we always advise to ‘trust your instincts’ and take sensible additional precautions before the visit. Equally, if you’re going to attend training at someone’s house who you’ve never met before, you need to consider how to ensure your personal safety before you attend the session.

If you’re upstairs and get attacked, where is your escape route?

There have been a number of very serious violent crimes committed by men against women in our industry.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-28327025

A Government Strategy
https://assets.publishing.service.g...AWG_Strategy_FINAL_PUBLICATION_MASTER_vRB.PDF

This isn’t remotely about the Trans community but about keeping ourselves safe against male violence. There’s a particular group of men who abuse self ID and dress up as women pretending to be Transgender in order to perpetrate violence against women. These men are the type who book appointments at the beauty salon demanding a full Brazilian and enjoy causing distress to the unwitting employees. We have had threads on here from geeks who have been targeted by such men.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ho-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

All valid points of course.

Stay vigilant at all times no matter if you are a therapist or trainer BUT where do we draw the line?? Is there an element of scaremongering? I was on a training day yesterday (hybrid gels - if was fab!) but it was 1-2-1 with a trainer, at her salon, smallish shop front, off the main road but passing people occasionally, one door in and out, me on that side of the desk between her and the door. She was no 'safer' there than I am at home in my salon in my spare room upstairs in my house.

The example of the waxing situation is at a salon so the point of working from home is not really relevant. If it's going to happen, it will happen anywhere.

In your case, both of you were ‘visible to others’ and ‘situated on a main road’ so if anything happened, you had a fairly simple exit route available and the opportunity to summon others for help. Upstairs in a house where either the trainer or the student are not known to each other is obviously a higher risk scenario.

I’m sorry if you think raising the issue of personal safety when working alone or going to an unknown persons house is scaremongering. That was not my intention.

Latest posts

Back