Su-do Vs. other tanning solutions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tickled Pink!

Reaction score
help pleasseeeeee!!

i have searched and read previous posts on this subject but help still needed!

Firstly, i am finding the people that want airbrush tans are mainly pastey white/corn beef blue (!) and usually inform me that they thought they would give airbrush tanning a try as they never go brown in the sun. Now as I am quite brown most of the year (mum lives in spain so lots of opportunity to be brown!) they tend to think they are going to be a brown as me and they are disappointed in the lack of colour they go. Admittedly i am quite a novice at spray tanning but i have been using su-do and i don't think the tan is that noticeable when they are so pale to start with.

So guys, your opinions...if you are corn beef blue/pastey white, what is the best airbrush tan that gives a nice off-the-beach tan?

I have tested the new darker su-do which is great on me but you need a good natural base or need an olive complexion to start with to use this one.
thanks

My business partner is very white and also my daughter - St Stropez works well for them.

Cathy

Tickled Pink! said:
help pleasseeeeee!!

i have searched and read previous posts on this subject but help still needed!

So guys, your opinions...if you are corn beef blue/pastey white, what is the best airbrush tan that gives a nice off-the-beach tan?
Well I am too looking for a nice tanning I am have requested a sample of tan from alot of companies and I find three companies to have a lovely natural tan namely SunFX, Sundrench and Hevenly Bodies.

I ruled out hevenly bodies for two reasons I think it is a bit expensive for the tan solutions £50 a liter (and converting that to euro makes it €€€€€) and you have to pat it dry with a mitt supplied which in my opinion defetes the purpose of a spry tan, Sundrench has a wonderful colour but the equipment is just modified fence and wall painter, but you are not buying for the equipment your buying a beatuiful tan which is what it is and finally there is SunFX. I am border line with both these products because they give such a lovely noticeable tan.

I have now narrowed my choice down to Sun FX, sundrench, solaris and heavenly bodies....

The majority of people wanting a spray tan are white so want something which will turn them a good colour and not orange!

However, a did meet someone the other day who assures me she was very pale and she was airbrushed with Fake It. the only fake it i can find on the internet is made by the body shop and is not intended for professional use and is certainly not an airbrush tan. Can anyone shed any light on this?

So please girls, which one do i go for...what is the DHA values in each?

thanks

hi im gonna go with sun drench hav u got contact details for sun x ???

wat about overspray if your mobile ???

Hi...
I too use su-do and i must say ALL my clients love it for
a) the beautiful looking tan it gives them
b) the fact that the development time is only five hours
c) the lovely smell of the lotion
Correct me if i am wrong here but surely its the dha content in the lotion that works with the skin to sent the person brown...so therefore if a person doesnt go naturely brown in the sun then they will not go brown with the dha!
Also the more dha content in the lotion the darker they will go?
All of my clients react differently depending on their skin type etc...
I guess unless you use something that contains a staining additive i guess they will just go as dark as their skin will let them.
Not sure if this helps but i am also interested in something for my hard-to-tan clients...lol

I've just started airbush tanning and have decided to go with St. Tropez. My friend sprayed me the other week and the result was lovely (I'm one of those 'never go in the sun cos' I burn type of people!). I also did an all over airbrush tan for the same friend using St. Tropez, it was lovely to apply and she turned out wonderful the next day.

Last night I tried Sundrench and on me, it was horrendous. Didn't like the colour it went (on me) and turned out very patchy. I had airbrushed it on and got my other half to do the bits I couldn't reach, and it looked fine after spraying it. Thjis morning was another matter.

I have some 'Intensive Tanning' liquid which I'm going to try (this is an Irish one but is available in the UK under another label - don't know what it is though) - I've asked a number of people here who have tried this and they say it's the most natural spray tan they ever seen. I'm going to pick up some Sudo at the weekend to try that too, but so far, St. Tropez is tops for me.

thanks for your comments deni!

i think that if the DHA is a higher percentage than the norm, a pale skinned client will go orange. Su-do have darker solution which i use on myself which is great on a good base tan but it is advised not to use on a pale skinned client.

the other comment you made about the dha content in the lotion that works with the skin to send the person brown.. therefore if a person doesnt go naturely brown in the sun then they will not go brown with the dha. A lot of people want spray tans for the simple reason that they don't go brown in the sun and this is an option for them to have a decent healthy looking tan - so what do we do?

Has anyone heard of a brand of solution Fake It...(not the one sold in body shop)

do they do san tropez in an airbrush tan?

yes, they do either auto airport, airport I or a cheaper airbrush. You use the body mist which is fantastic, gives a great colour and also sell the bottles to retail to customers to top up on faces etc.

lindag said:
I ruled out hevenly bodies for two reasons I think it is a bit expensive for the tan solutions £50 a liter (and converting that to euro makes it €€€€€) and you have to pat it dry with a mitt supplied which in my opinion defetes the purpose of a spry tan
Linda, I think a lot of spray tan companies provide mitts to pat down any runs or too much tan, I know St. Tropex do - perhaps that's what Heavenly Bodies mean.

Tickeled Pink why are you not going for the solaris??????? I really love this one and the spray system is sooo good too.

glenda said:
Tickeled Pink why are you not going for the solaris??????? I really love this one and the spray system is sooo good too.

the post man has just delivered a little sample of this....do you pat dry/buff off with this product?

Just need to ring round a few of my pastey white friends to see which one will volunteer as a guinea pig this afternoon...they might have to have solaris on one leg and su-do on the other to make a comparison!

Glenda, the sample hasn't got any instructions other than on the back about spraying 6-8" away..do you repeat 2-3 days later like su-do or do you market it as a one-off spray.

thanks for your time!
dianne

Tickled Pink! said:
the post man has just delivered a little sample of this....do you pat dry/buff off with this product?

Just need to ring round a few of my pastey white friends to see which one will volunteer as a guinea pig this afternoon...they might have to have solaris on one leg and su-do on the other to make a comparison!

Glenda, the sample hasn't got any instructions other than on the back about spraying 6-8" away..do you repeat 2-3 days later like su-do or do you market it as a one-off spray.

thanks for your time!
dianne
Hiya
Spray evenly about 6-8 inches away....................any residue will wash out of clothes, must be left on for 8 hours and then rince thouroughly off, keep skin well moisturised afterwards, if you feel abit sticky afterwards you can gently pat, but it should be ok, if you need any advise pm me
Amanda

Hi there, I use Bali Sun Tropical Tan and absolutely love the results. All my clients have been happy so far, but as I am relatively new at this all I can say is that so far I have had no complaints!

Beautiful colour - really like a carribean tan!

I'm really confused now!!!!! I would really like to invest in a spray tan system as I'm rubbish at manual application. I'm stuck between sundrench, heavenly bodies, beau bronz and st tropez. People who call to ask about the spray tan always ask for st tropez but I've not been overly happy with their customer service. St Tropez surely gets the best name amongst the public???

hi st tropez everyone nos but i dont think its the best tan convince your clients yours is the best may be do it half price for new clients im gonna get sundrench u can train with slogo for £25 its the same compressor star nails do the training . then maybe if it gets really popular go for the more expensive compressors like iwata compressor xx

Hope this helps...

I trained with St Tropez and bought their St Tropez Air system, as I thought it would be the most well-known brand - lots of great publicity etc.
This is v true and has def worked to convert people who are scared of fake tans & turning orange!!!
The main downside that I found with St Tropez is that it takes ages (unless you are thinking of buying the Auto Booth?) around 30-40mins with practice (It can take 45-50mins when you first start!). I found this compared unfavourably with other 'cheaper' brands - where clients can get a tan in the lunchbreak!
There is also a lot of overspray with this system and I would say it should only be used in a salon.
If you are going mobile - then one option is to consider doing what I did... I still use the St Tropez tan, as I am very happy with it - but bought an HVLP compressor from Ebay (£150) as this means I can get the job done in around 15mins - with less overspray! It is VERY noisy though!!
St Tropez probably won't be too keen on this idea, and may not supply you with the tan if you haven't already bought the compressor? So you may have to find a way around this?!?!?
There's also lots of retail opp's - I would def reccommend ordering the pre-Air application kits around £5+ to buy. They come with a small size of moisturiser (a must for knees, elbows, feet and hands) and body polish which you can instruct the client to prepare and maintain with. They alson include a mask and disposable knickers - my tip is to sell the products for£5 - take the mask & knickers out and use for clients as and when they require them, as it gets a bit expensive to keep buying these seperately!

Sorry... gone off on a bit of a tangent - PM me if you want any more info - but prob the best advice is to make appts with all your local salons and try out every system, paying attention to how esy they look to use, how portable, noisy, smelly... as well as the final result of the tan!!!
Good luck x

emmalouisa said:
hi st tropez everyone nos but i dont think its the best tan convince your clients yours is the best may be do it half price for new clients im gonna get sundrench u can train with slogo for £25 its the same compressor star nails do the training . then maybe if it gets really popular go for the more expensive compressors like iwata compressor xx

I am sure its not actually a compressor with Solglo/United Beauty.....PM Lily as I am sure they can get the same model and I am sure at a competitive price...hope this helps

Hi folks,
I too use Bali Sun, they have two tans the original Bali sun and evolution which is darker. Also a rejuvenator product which is like a lotion top up ( faces tend to fade faster with most spray tans due to women cleansing) so this is ideal and it moisturises brilliantly too! Steve (who runs Bali sun) is fantastic and a competition winner in all kinds of airbrushing. they have a new range coming out imminently. Steve has also "created" different air brushes and compressors ( I have used others before my last on su-do. the compressors have a lifetime gaurantee and if god forbid one goes wrong he will send one out while yours gets repaired so you can keep working. (no I am not a personal friend of steve but his stuff is great and his after sales is brill. (just my opinion contact them ) www.Bali-sun.com see if you can get a sample. Also as the others say the adh works with the natural skin tone so the tans dont look orange or false. good luck with what you choose, (I have stopped using sudo and their nail colours too) will start a new thread on nail colours for airbrushing if i cant find one already.
:biggrin: pamxx

Latest posts

Back