Substitute for wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura grant

Reaction score
hi what is a fantastic substitute for waxing brows instead of actual hot/warm wax , I have tried some products but all crap, like the strips that you put on and pull off thanks in advance

Hey, depends what you mean. If you're a home user trying to likes of veet and nair, hold off til after lock down and get booked in with a professional.

If you're a pro but can't tolerate waxing pain, maybe there's something wrong with your technique or wax temperature? Brows tend to be the mildest pain for me and my clients. Or look into lasering or threading??

Last edited:
There are lots of different professional waxes. I have 6 different kinds in my salon, this means that I have wax suitable for sensitive skin, for stubborn hair, for dry skin, and for male pattern hair etc.

if you have a problem with waxing, it may be that you just haven’t found the right product. Alternatives are sugar - but as this is the same principle I’m not sure it would make much difference and it’s tricky to apply around brows and threading.

some people think threading is superior to waxing. I disagree, but my skin really doesn’t like waxing so threading is better for my skin.

if you are doing your own brows, tweezers are your only alternative

As a suggestion have you tried automatic tweezers? Before waxing of brows became popular I always relied on a decent set of automatic tweezers. Fast tweezing and very accurate.

I’ve never tried automatic tweezers. I’ve seen them in use but never understood their appeal. Good to know Rosie, I may invest in a pair.

There are lots of different professional waxes. I have 6 different kinds in my salon, this means that I have wax suitable for sensitive skin, for stubborn hair, for dry skin, and for male pattern hair etc.

if you have a problem with waxing, it may be that you just haven’t found the right product. Alternatives are sugar - but as this is the same principle I’m not sure it would make much difference and it’s tricky to apply around brows and threading.

some people think threading is superior to waxing. I disagree, but my skin really doesn’t like waxing so threading is better for my skin.

if you are doing your own brows, tweezers are your only alternative

hi, would you mind sharing the preferred wax for male pattern hair. It’s been interesting trying to find the most appropriate product for it. Thanks

Hi! Well for me, male pattern hair is a compromise of balancing skin needs and hair removal requirements.

for dense hair, thick hair where I’m struggling to get to the roots, I want a fairly runny wax that will penetrate easily, set hard but not brittle whilst gripping firmly around the roots. I use outback onyx wax, applied fairly thickly. It’s also good on dry skin I find.

Waxu is less runny, sets instantly and is very easy to apply and remove

Also fairly creamy is Outback Organics Jade wax. It’s intended for leg hair and chests. I do a sneaky mix with another wax (which they have pointed out could invalidate my insurance since I’m not using the manufacturer’s recommendation) and this is our salon go to for hair.

Where the skin is sensitive and fairly thin I’ll use Outbacks Opal wax. It’s much more flexible and can be applied very thinly giving a pliable wax. It’s the only wax I’d use on black facial skin. I struggle on dry skins with this wax

I like Outback organic gold wax for brows. It stays runny long enough to shape even in tiny amounts. It’s fine for facial waxing and I was very happy with this for intimate waxing before we were trained in Opal wax. It’s the most versatile wax I feel and suits an inexperienced hand.

When I need the sensitive skin properties of Opal with the grip of something else, I do a layer. One thin coat of Opal and a chunky layer of something else over the top and wait much longer than usual before removing. Again this isn’t manufacturers guidance - but gets me out of trouble with a tricky intimate, including male.

so I don’t really have a one wax for male pattern. I have a set of wax “tools” and years of experience to select the right wax for each client.

sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Hi! Well for me, male pattern hair is a compromise of balancing skin needs and hair removal requirements.

for dense hair, thick hair where I’m struggling to get to the roots, I want a fairly runny wax that will penetrate easily, set hard but not brittle whilst gripping firmly around the roots. I use outback onyx wax, applied fairly thickly. It’s also good on dry skin I find.

Waxu is less runny, sets instantly and is very easy to apply and remove

Also fairly creamy is Outback Organics Jade wax. It’s intended for leg hair and chests. I do a sneaky mix with another wax (which they have pointed out could invalidate my insurance since I’m not using the manufacturer’s recommendation) and this is our salon go to for hair.

Where the skin is sensitive and fairly thin I’ll use Outbacks Opal wax. It’s much more flexible and can be applied very thinly giving a pliable wax. It’s the only wax I’d use on black facial skin. I struggle on dry skins with this wax

I like Outback organic gold wax for brows. It stays runny long enough to shape even in tiny amounts. It’s fine for facial waxing and I was very happy with this for intimate waxing before we were trained in Opal wax. It’s the most versatile wax I feel and suits an inexperienced hand.

When I need the sensitive skin properties of Opal with the grip of something else, I do a layer. One thin coat of Opal and a chunky layer of something else over the top and wait much longer than usual before removing. Again this isn’t manufacturers guidance - but gets me out of trouble with a tricky intimate, including male.

so I don’t really have a one wax for male pattern. I have a set of wax “tools” and years of experience to select the right wax for each client.

sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Hi, thanks a lot for your great insight. Much appreciated .

Latest posts

Back