Subtitles for DVD's.......We need your support here...including all nail mag editors!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailsinlondon1

Reaction score
Right guys and gals, I need your help here..................
As you know my friend Dawnie is a deaf geeky Nail Technician.................and a brill one....... she has struggled hard to get where she is today.............
Now educating deaf technicians would be so easy, if they could have the aid of a DVD with subtitles..........
Ah thats easy enough done I hear you say, all the film DVD's have subtitels........

Yes thats what we thought too..........
So Dawnie E-mailed Essential Nails............Home learn course the Nail trainer and Video one!!!!!!!!!....
We thought surely a Company the size of Essential Nails would jump at the chance.....................Just think, providing a service where there is a huge service gap................Beeing known, as the ones that are the first to put hearing impaired people on even and fair footing with hearing techs.........
So they actually can use the training course.......
As a lot is tutored via video, this aint much use if you can't hear the blooming thing is it..........
A bit like an ashtray on a motorbike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the sad new is, Essential Nails did reply and they said NO, it's not profitable enough.
When you think how much a course is and lets face it, we are not asking for a change on kit, books in braille, we are asking for subtitles.............
So how much would it actualy cost ??????? Then divide that by the 1000 could be and would be Techs, hell raise the price of the course by a few pounds and they would soon recoop their money................

So What I need you all to do is.......................
E-mail Gina Wallace [email protected]
at and put this to her as well, we might get there, if we all pull together as Geeks. So are you with us or are you with us lol ????????????????

So maybe Scratch Magazine could help too???? Gina Wallace does write for them and maybe Alex coulds ask her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or ask her why not?????

Thanks guys for reading this..........
But this is important, as one Tech who is deaf actually send his course back,because there where no subtitels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the year 2004 and making a DVD for hearing impaired, whould not be as complexed or as hard as getting an explorer on to Mars...............
Nor as expensive I should think....................
Thanks guys,
I owe ya all a Voddy and Orange, so come and collect at Olympia, if we get the ok for the DVD lol (not that silly) Lemonade if we are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Right guys and gals, I need your help here..................
As you know my friend Dawnie is a deaf geeky Nail Technician.................and a brill one....... she has struggled hard to get where she is today.............
Now educating deaf technicians would be so easy, if they could have the aid of a DVD with subtitles..........
Ah thats easy enough done I hear you say, all the film DVD's have subtitels........

Yes thats what we thought too..........
So Dawnie E-mailed Essential Nails............Home learn course the Nail trainer and Video one!!!!!!!!!....
We thought surely a Company the size of Essential Nails would jump at the chance.....................Just think, providing a service where there is a huge service gap................Beeing known, as the ones that are the first to put hearing impaired people on even and fair footing with hearing techs.........
So they actually can use the training course.......
As a lot is tutored via video, this aint much use if you can't hear the blooming thing is it..........
A bit like an ashtray on a motorbike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the sad new is, Essential Nails did reply and they said NO, it's not profitable enough.
When you think how much a course is and lets face it, we are not asking for a change on kit, books in braille, we are asking for subtitles.............
So how much would it actualy cost ??????? Then divide that by the 1000 could be and would be Techs, hell raise the price of the course by a few pounds and they would soon recoop their money................

So What I need you all to do is.......................
E-mail Gina Wallace [email protected]
at and put this to her as well, we might get there, if we all pull together as Geeks. So are you with us or are you with us lol ????????????????

So maybe Scratch Magazine could help too???? Gina Wallace does write for them and maybe Alex coulds ask her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or ask her why not?????

Thanks guys for reading this..........
But this is important, as one Tech who is deaf actually send his course back,because there where no subtitels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the year 2004 and making a DVD for hearing impaired, whould not be as complexed or as hard as getting an explorer on to Mars...............
Nor as expensive I should think....................
Thanks guys,
I owe ya all a Voddy and Orange, so come and collect at Olympia, if we get the ok for the DVD lol (not that silly) Lemonade if we are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im e-mailing now babe :D Lets get this decision changed.

hi ruth couldnt that be construed as discrimination?

Little Angel said:
hi ruth couldnt that be construed as discrimination?
No as the student could do the course, but they would hava to stop and then read the book that comes with it..................
So they are not disriminating, they are just making it harder for hearing impaired to finish their course in a reasonable time..................
As in before they qualify for their pension..............
It took Dawnie 2x as long to finish her college course then it would a hearing person..........
I just want to see, modern Technology being used to some good here, I am not asking for a space shuttle to Mars just subtitles ....................;)

woooooooooh
chill youll get an ulcer have e-mailed her babes no prob

Thanks girls for the support..................
We Geeks have stick together , to get the best training available for all there is !!!!!!!!!
I am chilling now and off my soap box xxxxxxxxx
Thanks again girls, you rock xxxxxxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Thanks girls for the support..................
We Geeks have stick together , to get the best training available for all there is !!!!!!!!!
I am chilling now and off my soap box xxxxxxxxx
Thanks again girls, you rock xxxxxxx
i will keep you to that vodka ruth ..but i will have lemonade with mine ...cheers:biggrin:
email sent :)
debbie

debbienailz said:
i will keep you to that vodka ruth ..but i will have lemonade with mine ...cheers:biggrin:
email sent :)
debbie

Me too Ruth, I am emailing her now, and I`ll email the editors of the mags too, hope it helps

Sawasdee ka ruth

We buy in Thailand dvd with sub title and cost 39 baht about 0.50 p your england money .

When them make 1 them can burn many and is easy for them and cost only about very very small your money .

If she speak you we can not make money you speak every thing is not about make money to do is for do for the comunity and for lady or man have can not listen and want learn nail .

if you geek can make 1 dvd i will burn many for you for free we can do in Thailand for sure .

Mui from Thailand

have just emailed gina wallace - good subject ruthie... hope it gets changed

subtitles are every where these days films, tv etc.
i am coming to the end of doing my vtct at the moment and this year the government have brought in 21 YES! 21 NEW LEGISLATIONS that we have to learn and take a 1 hour test on, above the normal vtct exam, they should make this 22 legislations as to me it is certainly discrimination against the deaf. :mad:
i will certainly e-mail the above and anyone else i can think of, it may not only be nails, what about people that do crafts, glass painting, card making candles etc etc.
p.s can i have gin please !

Cheers Ruthy for starting the ball rolling love, you have a way with words ........................and thank you all so much for your support it would mean so much to me to get help for hearing impared peeps as I know just how hard it is to try to train in the hearing world............but as Ruth will tell you I am a fighter and I wanted to get on in the nai industry and by pure determination and a lots of tears I got there in the end.
Is it really to much to ask for (subtitles) I dont think so.
May I add that Sam and creative are looking into this for the future so I take my hat off to them.

Cheers Girls

Dawnie and Mullie (my ears) lol
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ruth sawasdee ka

You speak essential nails speak No is not profitable enough .

They give you answer and now every body who look post can see this company very bad heart .

Every thing is about money all the time you send 1 dvd essential nails some body will make have sub title english no problem some body can make for sure .

I see dawnie speak sam look something for make maybe good him look Thailand have many people in Thailand can make and not exspensive .

Mui from Thailand

Hi,
I have also sent my e-mail lets hope that our messages help towards this, i think it is terrible that more isnt done to help, in this day and age where we like to say equal oppotunities for all and all that. Oh well fingers crossed hey

Grace x

grace said:
Hi,
I have also sent my e-mail lets hope that our messages help towards this, i think it is terrible that more isnt done to help, in this day and age where we like to say equal oppotunities for all and all that. Oh well fingers crossed hey

Grace x
Cheers Girls,
You are all so fab xxxxxxxxxxx
i recieved an email from Gina Wallace this morning, she said it's not her decission but the Director of ENP his name is John Grace, Director of ENP, Tel:01440-820999.
Email:[email protected] and subject F.A.O John Grace
As they are the decission makers !!!!!!!!!!

Again it is not cost effective, but if we can get 1000 signatures together names and addy's then we might get somewhere.

So maybe a few 1000 e-mails to him would be the best way forward....
So if every Geek just sends one, thats more than a 1000 and it should make them listen !!!!!!!!
I have also forwarded a copy of our Dawnies article to her.
If we stick together and come up with lots of signatures, they might just change their minds............

You know I just had a thought, how often do they update their video's ??
So on the next update, why not add subtitles ????
As they would be shooting it anyways?????
They only make the one master copy add subtitles to it and bingo, run of the 1000's they produce...............
So it would be the cost of putting the transcripts with the Video........
Typing it in, like you would with credits, ok a bit more involved, but you catch my thoughts !!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if our great Techs like J. Jefford and A. Swain thought, no lets not write a book, it wont be cost effective.........and we might not sell it ????
They wrote the book, well more then one and shared all their tips and tricks with us..............They wrote it because nails are their passion and they know full well that Techs all around the world will use it as a study aid...............
Well at least deaf Techs can read, but not a lot of hearing people do actually listen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I just think that Designer Nails might just be the ones, that will give hearing impaired wannna be Techs what they need...............
So creative again will be the top educators, looking after Students and listening to their needs..................

So have a fab Sunday...............
Huggs to all xxxxxxxxxx

Re: Subtitles response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May I just say that even subtitled videos take the reader's eye OFF of the video's picture -- if even for a moment or two...so whether reading from a corporate-generated transcript or directly from one superimposed on the TV screen itself would be very SIMILAR in outcome. Besides, the corporate-generated transcript would have extremely detailed step-by-step written directions, which would benefit the user greatly.

My solution was one that could be implemented in FIVE minutes, therefore creating an ability for the hearing impaired to start the nail learning process IMMEDIATELY.

If subtitles were the "only" way to learn, then we're talking about a 4-5 month production dilemma. Video Production Companies can't just click a button that says "apply subtitles to video" and it be done instantly. Every single word of the entire 2 hour, 20 minute video would have to be fed in (typed) manually, then edited, and then set inside the video frames one by one. So yes, 4-5 months IS a reasonable expectation of time and it would cost a lot more than 50p per copy. Trust me, if it were that cheap, ENP would have DEFINITELY had them subtitled the first time around.

Please understand it is not "just the cost factor" involved here.

For those who are curious, both my beloved father and my BEST friend in England are severely physically challenged. Naturally, my heart is tender towards ANYONE with challenges...so that is why I did my best to suggest a method to ENP that could be implemented QUICKLY and produce similar results.

Please note that I am NOT the owner of the copyright of these videos...I am simply the collaberator and host.

Home Learn videos seem to be the only targets of this GET SUBTITLES NOW campaign, although other nail training companies that offer video training (even CND) are not targeted here. Why? Sure, it'd be easy to give a "corporate response" and say, "We're working on that." I could have said the same thing, but I chose not to. Instead, I offered an IMMEDIATELY solution to the problem--not a long-term one.

As a final comment, please remember that there are ALWAYS two (or more) sides to every story. This writing is MY side.

Respectfully submitted,
Gina Wallace
Principal International Educator
Essential Nail Products
http://www.ginawallace.com
[email protected]

happynailz said:
Re: Subtitles response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May I just say that even subtitled videos take the reader's eye OFF of the video's picture -- if even for a moment or two...so whether reading from a corporate-generated transcript or directly from one superimposed on the TV screen itself would be very SIMILAR in outcome. Besides, the corporate-generated transcript would have extremely detailed step-by-step written directions, which would benefit the user greatly.

My solution was one that could be implemented in FIVE minutes, therefore creating an ability for the hearing impaired to start the nail learning process IMMEDIATELY.

If subtitles were the "only" way to learn, then we're talking about a 4-5 month production dilemma. Video Production Companies can't just click a button that says "apply subtitles to video" and it be done instantly. Every single word of the entire 2 hour, 20 minute video would have to be fed in (typed) manually, then edited, and then set inside the video frames one by one. So yes, 4-5 months IS a reasonable expectation of time and it would cost a lot more than 50p per copy. Trust me, if it were that cheap, ENP would have DEFINITELY had them subtitled the first time around.

Please understand it is not "just the cost factor" involved here.

For those who are curious, both my beloved father and my BEST friend in England are severely physically challenged. Naturally, my heart is tender towards ANYONE with challenges...so that is why I did my best to suggest a method to ENP that could be implemented QUICKLY and produce similar results.

Please note that I am NOT the owner of the copyright of these videos...I am simply the collaberator and host.

Home Learn videos seem to be the only targets of this GET SUBTITLES NOW campaign, although other nail training companies that offer video training (even CND) are not targeted here. Why? Sure, it'd be easy to give a "corporate response" and say, "We're working on that." I could have said the same thing, but I chose not to. Instead, I offered an IMMEDIATELY solution to the problem--not a long-term one.

As a final comment, please remember that there are ALWAYS two (or more) sides to every story. This writing is MY side.

Respectfully submitted,
Gina Wallace
Principal International Educator
Essential Nail Products
http://www.ginawallace.com
[email protected]

Can I just add having watched 100's of DVD's with subtitles and I have never missed a thing, being deaf you just adapt to wtaching a film and also reading the subtitles at the same time its like double vision if you like somehow we manage to have one eye on the picture and one on the words just seems to come togther...........I am deaf and I know it will work trust me I am a nail tech :lol:

Take care Dawnie

Dawnie said:
Can I just add having watched 100's of DVD's with subtitles and I have never missed a thing, being deaf you just adapt to wtaching a film and also reading the subtitles at the same time its like double vision if you like somehow we manage to have one eye on the picture and one on the words just seems to come togther...........I am deaf and I know it will work trust me I am a nail tech :lol:

Take care Dawnie

hi ya hunny well i know just what you mean as i will sometimes watch a film with the subtitles so i can have the sound off if im trying to get my monster off to sleep and i dont want to miss it!! and your right you generally have an eye on both !! i think it would be a major step forward in the right direction for hearing impaired peeps who should be given the same opotunities as everyone else!! after all in this day and age there is no excuse for it!! :rolleyes:
:green: you've got my sapport :green:

Sawasdee ka

Answer to gina post .

1. Cost of dvd cd is for content and for profit margin only cost of burning cd dvd we can do as many as your company want for 1 english pound each ...how many do you want .

2. quote it will take 4 to 5 months to edit 2 hours 20 minutes of dvd
i do not understand this .

3. enp did not put sub titles on dvd because maybe they did not think there is need for it or because they just do not want to you speak b4 it is not about cost .

4. in Thailand we have dvd cd and you can choose when you load dvd if you want english or Thai or english and Thai sub title give you many options you are england if Thai company can do sure you have have same .

5. All anybody ask for is a dvd with sub title it is very easy for you to do .

Thank you mui from Thailand .

First off, let me say that a couple of months ago, Dawnie mentioned this to me in the Chat room and I have to admit that I had not ever even thought of subtitles at that point. I thought it was a fantastic idea and everyone I have spoken to about this since as agreed that it is brilliant.

Now saying that... you need to remember that it takes time and a lot of money to do these things (a heck of a lot more than you guys seem to think). Not everyone can quantify re-producing videos and dvds right away.
Heck... until the past couple of years... it wasnt really possible (well... it was possible... but very unrealistic from a financial perspective) as everyone only had VCR's. DVD's make it much easier (but not that easy) to impliment subtitles in a much more reasonable way.
Saying that... we still dont even have any DVD training material, nor will we for the next 2 big launches this year. Why? because after running the numbers, we cant do video and DVD training material for our new line... couple that with the fact that more people have VCR's than DVD players... we therefore have to do videos rather than DVD's. :(

Saying that... we all want to do subtitles and we all want to do DVD's. In fact... we will do DVD's, and when we do... they will have subtitles... it is just going to take some time.

Thankfully now that the issue has been raised... we can do something about it... but lets cut some people some slack. I am feeling that this issue and thread has turned into a witch hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back