Subtitles response

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
Well Geeks and especially Dawnie heres the response i got from Gina.

I have now suggested an alternative means by which your friend will be able to train with Home Learn. Ruth (also a friend of this person) has also written to me. I've explained the course of action your friend should take with ENP, so the issue now rests with her contacting them directly to implement my suggestion. By the way, the best part is that this suggestion imposes no additional cost to either ENP or your friend. :)

Just wanted you to know "where there's a will, there's a way".

Well Ruth whats the next course of action

Hi Lesley

The suggestion they made was sending out a hand written script with the course.............. :eek: so now they suggest that hearing impared peeps read while they are trying to watch the video how they hell do you do the two at the same time ................I replied to them and said that it would be impossible the only way it would work was with subtitles.

So lets just keep trying gitlies.

Cheers Dawnie xxxx

Dawnie said:
Hi Lesley

The suggestion they made was sending out a hand written script with the course.............. :eek: so now they suggest that hearing impared peeps read while they are trying to watch the video how they hell do you do the two at the same time ................I replied to them and said that it would be impossible the only way it would work was with subtitles.

So lets just keep trying gitlies.

Cheers Dawnie xxxx

Hiya Dawnie,
Well that wont do will it :mad:
So could you post all the e-mail addys of all the mags, So we can blitz them.

Okay...let's get real.

If I am to be quoted on here, I'd appreciate an ACCURATE quote, please. I did NOT say my suggestion was to provide the hearing impaired with a "hand" written transcript to coincide with the training video.

And may I just say that even subtitled videos take the reader's eye OFF of the video's picture -- if even for a moment or two...so whether reading from a corporate-generated transcript or directly from one superimposed on the TV screen itself would be very SIMILAR in outcome. Besides, the corporate-generated transcript would have extremely detailed step-by-step written directions, which would benefit the user greatly.

My solution was one that could be implemented in FIVE minutes, therefore creating an ability for the hearing impaired to start the nail learning process IMMEDIATELY.

If subtitles were the "only" way to learn, then we're talking about a 4-5 month production dilemma. Video Production Companies can't just click a button that says "apply subtitles to video" and it be done instantly. Every single word of the entire 2 hour, 20 minute video would have to be fed in (typed) manually, then edited, and then set inside the video frames one by one. So yes, 4-5 months IS a reasonable expectation of time.

Please understand it is not "just the cost factor" involved here.

For those who are curious, both my beloved father and my BEST friend in England are severely physically challenged. Naturally, my heart is tender towards ANYONE with challenges...so that is why I did my best to suggest a method to ENP that could be implemented QUICKLY and produce similar results.

Please note that I am NOT the owner of the copyright of these videos...I am simply the collaberator and host.

Home Learn videos seem to be the only targets of this GET SUBTITLES NOW campaign, although other nail training companies that offer video training (even CND) are not targeted here. Why?

As a final comment, please remember that there are ALWAYS two (or more) sides to every story. This writing is MY side.

Respectfully submitted,
Gina Wallace
Principal International Educator
Essential Nail Products
http://www.ginawallace.com

happynailz said:
Okay...let's get real.

If I am to be quoted on here, I'd appreciate an ACCURATE quote, please. I did NOT say my suggestion was to provide the hearing impaired with a "hand" written transcript to coincide with the training video.

And may I just say that even subtitled videos take the reader's eye OFF of the video's picture -- if even for a moment or two...so whether reading from a corporate-generated transcript or directly from one superimposed on the TV screen itself would be very SIMILAR in outcome. Besides, the corporate-generated transcript would have extremely detailed step-by-step written directions, which would benefit the user greatly.

My solution was one that could be implemented in FIVE minutes, therefore creating an ability for the hearing impaired to start the nail learning process IMMEDIATELY.

If subtitles were the "only" way to learn, then we're talking about a 4-5 month production dilemma. Video Production Companies can't just click a button that says "apply subtitles to video" and it be done instantly. Every single word of the entire 2 hour, 20 minute video would have to be fed in (typed) manually, then edited, and then set inside the video frames one by one. So yes, 4-5 months IS a reasonable expectation of time.

Please understand it is not "just the cost factor" involved here.

For those who are curious, both my beloved father and my BEST friend in England are severely physically challenged. Naturally, my heart is tender towards ANYONE with challenges...so that is why I did my best to suggest a method to ENP that could be implemented QUICKLY and produce similar results.

Please note that I am NOT the owner of the copyright of these videos...I am simply the collaberator and host.

Home Learn videos seem to be the only targets of this GET SUBTITLES NOW campaign, although other nail training companies that offer video training (even CND) are not targeted here. Why?

As a final comment, please remember that there are ALWAYS two (or more) sides to every story. This writing is MY side.

Respectfully submitted,
Gina Wallace
Principal International Educator
Essential Nail Products
http://www.ginawallace.com
Hi Gina,
Thanks your post, I for one appreciate the time you have taken to reply.......
As you said to me in your e-mail, it's not in your hands...........And I respect that. I respect you very much and this is not a personal issue, but an education one..........
So don't shoot me, just yet....I got some more Voddy and Oranges to drink !!!!!

With the same token, I wrote to you as the principle educator and thought you might be able to push something worth while here for us.......
We have approached Desinger Nails UK the Creative Distributors for the UK, so no we have not singled ENP out, we have included them too and others, and put ENP on the top of our list because, they are a home learn education company. But Designer Nails are looking into it, so we hope for some good news. But no ENP are not the only ones !

We are not after a quick fix for the hearing impared, but happy to wait,for the time it takes to get this show on the road........
A complete study course that can be taken by all and does not make it harder for one that has hearing difficulties........
Reading subtitels and watching the screen at the same time, is something that deaf people do much better then us hearing people........
But imagine the scanario, the script on the lap to read, the products in front of you and the video to watch too............
This might make it so much harder I would have thought.....

I am enrolling in a course for signing for deaf people, and this is a long course and no, the imidiate students wont benefit, but the industry as a whole in years to come will...............
Because if one teacher can then the rest can too, and someone has to start this off !
Because on day I want to be the best educator there is , to give them the best of my teaching skills..............as you said there are always two sides to every story.............
But I hope you don't take this all personal, because it is not.......It is an industry topic..........To change the industry for the better !!!!

Right Geeks and Geeketts,

Update: Antony the EZflow wizzard has emailed the powers to be at EZFlow, so we will see what will happen there..............
Keeping our fingers crossed.........
But respect to Antony for trying on our behalf............
We know that Samuel is asking and trying to help us here too.........Huggs to Samuel for trying for us ................
Also Liza Smith is finding out about Sign language courses , nice one Liza !!!!

I have also emailed the [email protected] the royal national institute for the deaf, and have ask them how they can help us...........
Or if they can put us in touch with someone that can............
Also Emailed these guys http://www.thesignlanguagepeople.co.uk/4803.html
they offer a translation service, putting subtitles to existing videos , so that could be another way................

As it is an education issue, the companies who are willing to help, us might qualify for funding......Who knows, we wont know unless we ask and that is all we are doing, asking for help ..........
So lets wait for their reply........
I will keep you informed every step of the way........good or bad..we have got nothing to loose here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aint you just love Nails!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for your support, because one voice is just a wisper, but lots of voices are a shout !!!!!!!!

Hi all you Geeks out there,
As I said I will keep you all updated to any news that might come in, for the Subtitle on videos issue........
right had a reply, very speedy one too................
this is a price quotation for Video editing..adding subtitles or an on view interpeter to an existing video ..........

I have send another E-mail to John and asked him about duplication aso..
So once again when I hear more I will let you all know................
Education is the foundation to knowledge, and knowledge is power...........so I hope we can empower more would be Techs.........
Cheers for listening xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

Thanks for your message.

Yes, we can add subtitles to videos but only if we have the permission of the Copyright holder, in writing.

A two hour video is rather long so I'm assuming it's not wall-to-wall talking throughout because, if it is, there's an awful lot of work involved - it could take 4 days just to subtitle it. It would be easier (and cheaper) for us to add a Sign Language Interpreter to the video. Without seeing the video it's impossible to work out a price but as a rough guide it's probably going to be around £900 to subtitle it and £600 to add a Sign Language Interpretation. You could, of course, have both and that could be done for about £1,400.

Prices are subject to VAT and don't include materials (tape stock, etc. - around £75)

Would we be working from a VHS original or can you let us have a copy of the original master? This would obviously give a much better quality result. A copy of the script would also save a huge amount of time.

I hope this is of some help but I can't stress strongly enough that we do need written permission from the Copyright holder.

Best wishes.

John Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back