Success stories-share yours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurachicgeek

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm seeing alot of threads of people leaving the industry or giving up for one reason or another which is very sad and I really do feel for them.
However I'm about to start renting a beauty room at beginning of march and would like to hear some positive success stories to lighten the mood and lift moral :)
I'm currently a mobile beauty therapist and have been for six months.the past 3 months have been a bit tough so I've now got a part time cleaning job working till 9pm Monday to Friday and have the mornings and weekends to see my clients. Lucky for me my boss fully supports my beauty work and tells people about my beauty business and if I have a client for evenings I'm allowed time off to see them. Anyway 2 weeks ago her daughter said to my boss she would like a beautician to rent a room in her salon and my boss asked if I wanted it! I viewed it last week and its perfect!!! :D at the beginning of march I start but I will still keep my other job to support me at the start! It's going to be VERY long days but I just simply can't wait! I hope and pray this will be a success!
Anyway back to you! What's your success stories?

Wow you're so lucky. And yeah I'd love to hear done stories too. I think it's not a good time of the year for a lot of people so this is a great thread! X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thank you nishi85. I know it's going to be hard but worth it! I wish people would post there stories. Be nice to hear a bit of positive :)

Hey, I started renting my own room 6 years ago after being employed at a salon for 4 yrs. I've never looked back. It's so nice working for yourself. I work above a hair salon and altho it has odd quiet days, generally very busy! We are moving premises this year to a salon with 2 beauty rooms , so growing the business which is a bit scary as obviously more rent etc so need to b busier . I think as long as u negotiate good rent and keep ur costs down u should earn well and u get a great buzz running ur own business! Good luck! :wink2:

First of all good luck with you new venture! I've been in business for 16 years and still love it. Being self employed has allowed me to fit work around my family and have a great work/life balance. As my children have got older I've been able to expand my business which is now almost fully booked up to two months in advance.

My advice to you is to carry out continual professional development even if your governing body doesn't require it. This makes sure your always up to date with new ideas and don't get stale. How ever long you're in business there's always something to learn.

Also, remember that people may have helped you as you're starting out and pass that on when you have more experience by helping other new people.

Most of all - have fun x

Aww thank you! It's so nice to hear some positive :)
Yes I'm also lucky enough to have the princes trust on my side too so there helping me get business plan together so I can hopefully have a good marketing strategy from the off. It's very daunting but exciting at the same time.. Can't wait to start :D xx

I started out 12 years ago working from home and with 2 young children, elderly mum and step dad, I couldn't do more, and I ticked over. Then 2 years ago, everything changed, and I rented a room in a golf club. I have more than doubled my turnover, and one of my little girls is just finishing her beauty NVQ3, so this week I'm signing a lease on a little barn nearby that will have 2 small beauty rooms, and a large reception, nail area. I have a good friend who will be offering remedial massage 2 days per week which really helps with the rent, but I'm still terrified/excited. Hoping there are lots of cows that want their nails done cos we really are in the middle of nowhere lol!!!

I love to hear of new people starting off in this world, we are all fighting to keep our country floating if we look on a wider scale and bettering ourselves in the process :)

Your very lucky with how things have fell together so go for it and hit the floor running! Don't get comfortable and start plodding along keep the importance up :D but keep the calm exterior, my customers find it amazing how i am always so bubbly and calm, but i love my job, they think i have no worries, i do, as we all do, and have quite a few family issues at the min but hair is my get out and my therapy!!

I was working full time in a salon with the outlook of buying her business off her, i was team leader and assistant manager and all was going well i was 21 when i left due to the way she was when my Gran died, expecting me to work and being very cold hearted!! I can't forgive anyone like that so left, she cried and offered me the world, more money everything, but i Wouldnt be running her business like my own as i was, so left, went to look to buy a salon but the girl Wouldnt give the books then when she did it was all made up, nothing added up so i said no thank you, needed money so took a job working in a call center, double pay than i was used too, i lasted 4 weeks without hairdressing so started mobile, 6 years i worked full time office and then did hair evenings and weekends, got to the point that i was doing 2 full time jobs, friends were booking to see me 6-8 weeks in advance, i had to book time out for me, so last year when the option to take redundancy from my office job came up i left and used the money to open my salon 7 months ago, its damn hard work!! Im no where near as busy as i would like but its going ok and growing which is the main thing!!

Even if i fail (which it won't) but if it does i have no regrets!! I recommend anyone who gets the chance to better yourself and go it alone do it!! You will never look back, honestly will be the best thing you did! Don't have false hopes though, stay realistic, and true to yourself, keep your training up and get new ideas all the time!!

Good luck you will do well, put the effort in and reap the rewards later in life Xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Wow I'm loving these stories! They are so inspiring I love it!!! :D I'm so determined to make this work. I've got my part time job to pay the bills and what I make in the salon will go towards training for new services :) thank you so much for your responses!!! Positive thinking is the way forward! :)

How are all your businesses going now? Nearly a year on? I'd like to know :) xx

Nicola! Xxx

I started off mobile, got a job I really wanted in a salon but as it was part time I had to keep my full time Job and eventually couldn't manage so had to quit my salon job. I then set up in my living room, shooing my parents out everytime I had a client. We had a spare room but it was basically a shed. It had its own entrance and toilet so I decided to gradually do it up, new floor, pulled out benches, new sink, 4 coats of paint and painted the outside of the house. It took a lot of time and money and I was mega stressed but now I have my own nail salon at home, I was really proud when i stuck my own personal doorbell on the wall :) I still work part time at my other job and mostly work evenings and weekends. I only average about 4 clients a week at the min but thats an extra £400 a month in my pocket. I don't advertise apart from my Facebook page so its mostly word of mouth and looking back to when I had 2 clients a month its amazing to see my business slowly growing. I only offer manicures and gel polish so i can greatly see my business growing when I start advertising and offering new treatments and im going full time in march so im getting cracking now to make sure I can manage, im lucky that I don't have overheads and I can live off the clients I have so its a lot less pressure on myself and im really proud of myself because its hatd work starting a business and ive done it on my own xx

I started off mobile, got a job I really wanted in a salon but as it was part time I had to keep my full time Job and eventually couldn't manage so had to quit my salon job. I then set up in my living room, shooing my parents out everytime I had a client. We had a spare room but it was basically a shed. It had its own entrance and toilet so I decided to gradually do it up, new floor, pulled out benches, new sink, 4 coats of paint and painted the outside of the house. It took a lot of time and money and I was mega stressed but now I have my own nail salon at home, I was really proud when i stuck my own personal doorbell on the wall :) I still work part time at my other job and mostly work evenings and weekends. I only average about 4 clients a week at the min but thats an extra £400 a month in my pocket. I don't advertise apart from my Facebook page so its mostly word of mouth and looking back to when I had 2 clients a month its amazing to see my business slowly growing. I only offer manicures and gel polish so i can greatly see my business growing when I start advertising and offering new treatments and im going full time in march so im getting cracking now to make sure I can manage, im lucky that I don't have overheads and I can live off the clients I have so its a lot less pressure on myself and im really proud of myself because its hatd work starting a business and ive done it on my own xx

All your hard work and patience is paying off, I'm sure your business will continue to grow :)

Hayley :)

I'm still going strong :D and more importantly growing :D :D how are you all doing?

Just wanted to bump this up! Would love to hear some more success stories! :)

This is an amazing post!!

I wish everyone luck and to keep up all the hard earned work!

I started in the beauty business at 14 doing private beauty courses just for to do myself / friends spray tans lashes etc.. I then left school and started working for a women at 14 she took full advantage of my age and worked me as hard as she could! Anyway wasn't all great in the job as i didn't know wither the boss was going to kill me in the morning or love me (bipolar) so in the end there was a massive argument I got sacked from the salon this was at the age of 17! I then left and worked mobile for a month it was horrible :( I was so rushed due to lots of clients it was a nightmare going from one person to another so I decided to start renting a room in a hairdressers .. This worked very well for me I worked many hours it was tough in the beginning but it always is! I worked my way through my teaching qualifications whilst working renting a room I qualified beginning of 2013 for my teaching and decided to open my own beauty school and salon in April! It has been the best thing I have ever done I work for myself I have a great team that work with me ( this has been the hardest part ) I can fit work around me however I never take time off as you only earn whag you put in! I am only 18 turn 19 April and have achieved so much this just shows that hard work pays off for sure 😁 also I won young business of the year 2013 which topped off all confidence ❤️ Love the beauty industry and would never leave it !

Latest posts

Back