Successful nail technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joannesnails

Reaction score
I was just wondering who has done a 1 or 2 or perhaps 4 day course and is now a sucessfull or good quality nail technician? As i done a short course myself and just wondering if you can actualy get somewhere with it?

thanks x

That would depend on the quaility of the training CND foundation is 5 days but spread over approx 2 months - But that is what it is A Foundation....Very intense and hard work.

I would not consider a short nail course covering many systems and I also believe that you require training after training ...

Its like anything some people can pick it up and do well from the start, others may struggle.

If the foundation of your training is top quality you will be more likely to succeed, my opinion is that you need to get the best training, and after advice you can and continue training and put the hours in.

You will get out what you put in.

I did my conversion course with creative over 5 days and then almost a year later after lots of practise i did a skill builders course with them and it put me in a good position to buy and run my salon,
and i get lots of nice comments about my work,
it does all depend on the quality of the training that you get as to how good you will be in the long run,
if you have cheap rubbish training then you will produce rubbish nails hth

I did a 4 day course over 2 weeks and ide like to think ive done ok, its over 2 years ago now and have learnt alot more along the way also.

If you are prepaired to put in the effort on a short course then i dont see why it cant work for you.

The way i think is if you have had the training (good or bad) as long as you know the full full procedure and health and safety of doing nails then the rest is upto you as a person to practice practice and more practice xx

The way i think is if you have had the training (good or bad) as long as you know the full full procedure and health and safety of doing nails then the rest is upto you as a person to practice practice and more practice xx

....Except if your training doesn't give you the full procedure and health and safety etc....... There are plently of geeks who have taken training they believe to be comprehensive only to join this site and discover that they have paid to learn not very much.......

As Geeg (among others always says): practice that makes permanent - PERFECT practice makes perfect. So, if you're not taught in the right way to start with all you do my practicing that method is reinforce that incorrect procedure.

Does that make sense?

....Except if your training doesn't give you the full procedure and health and safety etc....... There are plently of geeks who have taken training they believe to be comprehensive only to join this site and discover that they have paid to learn not very much.......

As Geeg (among others always says): practice that makes permanent - PERFECT practice makes perfect. So, if you're not taught in the right way to start with all you do my practicing that method is reinforce that incorrect procedure.

Does that make sense?

Yes that sounds about right :green: To be honest i dont think my training was 100% good but i seem to be getting it right with the nails i have practiced soo much and seen improvments x

I have taken many courses and continue to do so.....it's all about upping your skills and not just relying on the basics you were taught at foundation level.

To be a successful and sought after nail technician, you need to be updating your skills at least once a year and doing your own CPD, whether by networking here, going to the shows, attending workshops, reading trade press, that kind of thing.

Foundation level is foundation level and to be honest, it's very rare that I have come across nails from a tech with only foundation level qualifications who can really cut the mustard....obvioulsy there are exceptions to the rule, but in general IME I would say not.

I have only done my foundation course...with Creative.

I had a few teething problems to start with...as you would when newly trained...but since then i have been very confident in my work and do have a successful business with very happy and long standing (since i started) clients.

This isn't to say i know it all and wont ever do further training....but if you are not having any problems...everything is going well...clients keep coming and are happy...most clients are from word of mouth...then i am not quite sure why i NEED any more training right now.

Sorry, I shouldve made myself clearer, i meant further training as in new systems, products, and any updates & training in other areas ie: nail art etc....

I agree that the foundation course does give you enough to get out there and do it, thats exactly what im doing at the moment.

My basic course was only 3 days straight in a row. Later on i did a cnd conversion course which was 1 day. I did practise a lot and really wanted to be good at it. and i can say that i am pretty happy with the nails that i produce today.

But i must say that i wouldn,t do a short course like what i started out with since it takes more time to learn things on your own instead of having proper guidance straight away.

ME ....

I trained on a 4 day foundation course many years ago ... but for goodness sakes it doesn't stop there!!

I have trained every year since for the last 25 years nearly!! EVERY year I have done more training. That is what makes you successful .. your dedication and hard work and training NOT just your foundation learning ... you always continue to build on that foundation for the rest of your career.

Of course your natural talent plays a part too!! :lol:

I am the classic case of practising not making perfect.

I was never comfortable with L&P though I was happy with gel. I had a 121 with L&P but still couldn't happily continue with it. It wasn't that I couldn't make a nice nail it just took far too much filing and I felt I was getting too much lifting.

I was lucky enough to have a great teacher who took me through it step by step and it suddenly all clicked in to place.

Practise is important but you will never complete the jigsaw if there are a few bits missing.

I think for me I NEED training not cause I cant do it cause I get bored once I can do something and need something else to conquer! LOL

For me i have done Vtct level 2 in mani and pedi and nail technology,cnd induction,and 6 hours of 121, i haven't had any training for a while and feel it's time i booked some,mani and pedi i think and an hour or so 121 l+p :D i love learning lol

Intensive courses are good such as 3-4 days foundations- as long as it's high quality trainning they give the information but its up to each individual to dedicate as much practice as they can .
Perfection workshops are great for improving any point you aren't confident in......:)

You know what? ....
I think it depends on the person...their abilities...what they want from their business etc...

I do think it is EXTREMELY important to get the best FOUNDATION course you possibly can....good foundations make for a stable building :D

If from there you a happy with your work, your clients are happy with your work and your business is what you want it to be...then I don't see a problem with not taking any more qualifications/training/courses....

But you can never have enough skills and qualifications.....and if you want to further your career to a higher level you have no choice obviously...

A sucessful nail technician in my opinion is someone who is happy, confident and has happy clients....preferably with a thriving business....
How many certificates or courses they have doesn't really come into it for me....but it certainly doesn't do you any harm to have as much education as you can handle :lol:

Thats great, thanks for all your feedback. As i said im getting on ok now just really trying to build myself up. I have a goal for late 2008 begining 2009 to do a cnd course :green: xx

What course have you done already? What did you think were the good and bad points of your short course?

Did you get taught anything that you later questioned after seeing all the info on here?:?:

What course have you done already? What did you think were the good and bad points of your short course?

Did you get taught anything that you later questioned after seeing all the info on here?:?:

It was one to one training i just thought it didnt go into much detail as other courses may have, not much after care either. And if im honest since being on salon geek ive learnt a hell of allot more than i did within my short course ive read about all the up to date things, products etc i think this website is a very good learning website... its like a book xx

Latest posts

Back