Successful Shellac only businesses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread!
I have been in the industry since early 90-ies and I have used gel for years and years. I'm also trained with resin (fibreglass) and L&P (and pedicures). Since Shellac came out I would say my Shellac clientele grew big time and my gel clientele decreased. I have to say that I have decided not to take any more gel clients because I'm pretty booked and I have gone through busy periods of time where I couldn't fit my gel clients for 2 weeks+ (not acceptable)
Also if I decide to take a break/holidays my clients freak out and it's impossible for me to fit all my gel clients in.

I hired another tech. She is very good with manicures/Shellac/pedicures but not that great with gel. My gel clients only want me and that's it.
Now my Shellac/manicure/pedicure clients don't mind the other techs doing their nails so for me the ONLY way to grow my business (and to STAY in business) is to grow my salon and capitalize on services that can be done by other techs. Getting myself overbooked is not my goal.
Another reason I'm marketing Shellac/manis/pedis is that I might need a surgery on my wrist(s!) and if I'm the only person that does gel (and brings money).. my business is in big trouble.

I SOOO WISH I could find another full nail tech but I have looked and looked. Sure I can teach but I cannot pay someone to sit and watch and practice and noone is willing to come on their days off and learn/practice.
A very sad reality.

New techs (and not so new) often think that they are "all that" and when it comes to reality it takes them 2 hours to rebalance a set that doesn't even look good.
Doing a simple math if we charge $40 for a junior tech (I charge $55), they are bringing $20hr. Considering realistically that they won't be booked all day but lets say half, they are bringing $10/hr. How do I pay them? How do I pay for products, overhead?

Little off topic but I wanted to illustrate why I'm choosing natural nail services- Shellac, manicures and pedicures

It's easier to train someone in natural nail care then enhancements (and this comes from an educator ;))

PS. Anyone looking for a job in Oakville, ON?:wink2:

I wish I lived nearer and was 20 years younger, Anna! :Love: then you could relax a little. X

I wish I lived nearer and was 20 years younger, Anna! :Love: then you could relax a little. X
:Love:
Another option is to say "the hell with his damn snow" and move to Spain and work with my sister or you if you hired me lol

Interesting thread!
I have been in the industry since early 90-ies and I have used gel for years and years. I'm also trained with resin (fibreglass) and L&P (and pedicures). Since Shellac came out I would say my Shellac clientele grew big time and my gel clientele decreased. I have to say that I have decided not to take any more gel clients because I'm pretty booked and I have gone through busy periods of time where I couldn't fit my gel clients for 2 weeks+ (not acceptable)
Also if I decide to take a break/holidays my clients freak out and it's impossible for me to fit all my gel clients in.

I hired another tech. She is very good with manicures/Shellac/pedicures but not that great with gel. My gel clients only want me and that's it.
Now my Shellac/manicure/pedicure clients don't mind the other techs doing their nails so for me the ONLY way to grow my business (and to STAY in business) is to grow my salon and capitalize on services that can be done by other techs. Getting myself overbooked is not my goal.
Another reason I'm marketing Shellac/manis/pedis is that I might need a surgery on my wrist(s!) and if I'm the only person that does gel (and brings money).. my business is in big trouble.

I SOOO WISH I could find another full nail tech but I have looked and looked. Sure I can teach but I cannot pay someone to sit and watch and practice and noone is willing to come on their days off and learn/practice.
A very sad reality.

New techs (and not so new) often think that they are "all that" and when it comes to reality it takes them 2 hours to rebalance a set that doesn't even look good.
Doing a simple math if we charge $40 for a junior tech (I charge $55), they are bringing $20hr. Considering realistically that they won't be booked all day but lets say half, they are bringing $10/hr. How do I pay them? How do I pay for products, overhead?

Little off topic but I wanted to illustrate why I'm choosing natural nail services- Shellac, manicures and pedicures

It's easier to train someone in natural nail care then enhancements (and this comes from an educator ;))

PS. Anyone looking for a job in Oakville, ON?:wink2:

I live in BC Canada and would jump at this chance if I were on your side of the Country.....

Not all noobies think they are all that... some realize that its great to be confident in their work even if it is 2 hours, yet really enjoy a good stong helpful critique so they can become the best.... I am trained in L&P as well as Gels however in Kelowna only a few salons do Shellac I do plan on getting in on the ground floor myself ha ha.

I was on FB today and a lady named Victoria really pumped up this site and that if a tech was looking for guidance that she should join... I too am very greatful for Gigi's honest advice....

*******Victoria Lys Hunter www.salongeek.com that's where I discovered that I SUCKED as a nailtech and had a TONNE to learn LMFAO and learn I did, soaking it up like a sponge. Made some fabby life long friends there. They've all inspired me so very much. Including Gemma Lambert, Gigi Rouse (author of Nailclass) and many more. Love'em all heaps
Salon Geek
www.salongeek.comThe worlds largest community of Salon Professionals

February 3 at 7:41pm · Unlike · 2 ******************

Simply though that you should all know that people who really want to be the best take the critiques and use them to their advantage....

I'm more a natural nail girl & have struggled with enhancements! As geeg will know is she remembers my strop on giving up! Well I've sat & sat & sat since Monday with the brisa lite sculpting gel & I'm now confident I can do tips & sculpture with it! It's amazing! Thank you CND I will know not go to pieces when someone wants tips!!! Carnt wait to see what is launched at the event!

Latest posts

Back