Sudden Shellac problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staystrongsoa

Reaction score
So, I've been doing shellac for about a year and a half and up til just before Christmas I've had great reviews and feedback from clients regarding nails lasting - no chipping or cracking - only regrowth making them come back to have them done again.

But since about Christmas time I've had a few clients commenting on how they've had chips or peeling within a week or so of getting their nails done. I'm using all the same products and methods as I always have ; file nails to desired shape, apply cuticle away, clean up cuticles, use scrub fresh, apply base coat and set, 2x colour and set, apply top coat and set, wipe of inhibition layer then apply cuticle oil to finish.

Although my clients have still been more than happy with their nails and no one has actually complained, I still find this so disheartening and I feel disappointed in myself so any hints or tips would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Have you checked your lamp? Possibly in need of new bulbs? Doesn't sound like your products.

Don't forget to deactivate your cuticle remover! X

Definitely check your lamp. I presume you're using the CND UV lamp so how many hours do you have left on the bulbs? Have you ever cleaned and turned them?

Definitely check your lamp. I presume you're using the CND UV lamp so how many hours do you have left on the bulbs? Have you ever cleaned and turned them?

I'm using all CND products and lamp - the bulbs were only replaced just after Christmas so I would estimate still about 80hours left on them but I've never been told to clean and turn the bulbs - wasn't even mentioned on my shellac training? Is this something I should be doing every so often?! Thanks for the reply and I'll definitely do this tomorrow :)

Have you changed to the 'new' 5 minute top coat at all?

Have you changed to the 'new' 5 minute top coat at all?

Yes, we have switched over recently after we were told the original top coat was being discontinued. Do you think this has something to do with it? Thanks for the reply!

Hmm I had issues with the new top coat so went back to the old one. Don't want to change!! :(

Hmm I had issues with the new top coat so went back to the old one. Don't want to change!! :(

I didn't want to change either the first time we tried it in the salon after it was released I found it quite thin and almost yellow toned over some colours - specifically creekside.

I don't like the new top coat, I also had problems when I tried it so back using original one, will be gutted when it's gone!!!!

Have they said when it will be discontinued? I might cry!!! I also found it had a yellowly tinge to it too!

Are any of your products out of date at all?

Are any of your products out of date at all?

I very much doubt it - I do a lot of shellac so my products are all used regularly and we do orders every few months or so to top up - the only thing that is a bit older is the cuticle away because you use such a small amount at a time so a bottle typically lasts 6 months.

Yes, we have switched over recently after we were told the original top coat was being discontinued. Do you think this has something to do with it? Thanks for the reply!
I don't find it as hard wearing as the original and I have the odd client who has chipped more since using it, nothing major but enough that I've noticed...

It's a tricky one. We're were talking about the express 5 the other day and it is thinner so maybe the other topcoat is best suited to the clients who have the chips sooner

Have they said when it will be discontinued? I might cry!!! I also found it had a yellowly tinge to it too!
It 100% has a yellow tinge.... Not good :(

So glad I'm not the only one who doesn't particularly like the new top coat! Think it definitely must be down to that why clients nails are chipping quicker but what do you do to solve that? If it's nothing I'm doing and the product how do you fix the problem? Feeling very frustrated :/

Hopefully CND are getting feedback? Wonder if we can do anything?

The only other thing that comes to mind (possibly) is your removal technique, do you think there's any way you could be thinning their nails just a tad so that over time they are significantly less strong?

The only other thing that comes to mind (possibly) is your removal technique, do you think there's any way you could be thinning their nails just a tad so that over time they are significantly less strong?

I had thought about that too - so I'm definitely going to be trying the no tool removal method. We've recently just got the tip clip removers and I don't find them as effective as the foil wraps as the acetone seems to evaporate quicker.

Latest posts

Back