Sudden Shellac problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finding a couple of clients who've had shellac for years were suddenly having problems since I changed to the express top coat. I switched back to the old one and they were fine.

Most people are fine with the new one. Think I need to be stockpiling the old one though!!

I called S2 up about the new top coat saying that my clients are complaining of chipping and they said that they haven't heard of anyone else having problems.... Hmmmm!

Maybe do a Salongeek pole?

I called S2 up about the new top coat saying that my clients are complaining of chipping and they said that they haven't heard of anyone else having problems.... Hmmmm!

Maybe someone should screenshot this thread and send it to them?! I had noticed when I first started using it that it was so much thinner in consistancy than the original top coat but never really thought much about it since ive never had any problems with shellac products before but now I'm thinking it must be why clients are having problems.

I've been using the new Xpress topcoat and not noticed any problems in application or longevity on clients. I do find the consistency much thinner but it applies a lot thinner too which I've found better and I find it doesn't go goopy like the original. If all the techs that are experiencing issues get in touch with S2 or your supplier and report it to them that is the only way they will take notice. [emoji4]

The new top coat is thinner and therefore you have to be extra careful with the capping.
At The Event las year they showed us a new way of apply all the coats of Shellac. Basically you need to have very little product on the brush and run it across the of the free edge, making sure the corners are covered. Then go back in the bottle and paint as normal bringing it over the free edge so as not to leave a bump on the edge. This is extremely important with the base coat and top coat as they are clear it is easier to miss. Where the base coat goes the colour will follow and then you need to cover it all in top coat, after all it's all about the top coat

I'm another one who had to go back to the old too coat, all of my loyal regulars all said the same thing about longevity and the yellow tinge [emoji37]

Fingers crossed the original top coat isn't discontinued!

I've just gone back to the old top coat, one of my regulars who has been having shellac for years without any issues was getting chipping and peeling within a week, and I had the same problem on my own nails. Switched back and no more problems.

Very interesting reading ladies...I've been having issues with clients nails too and am so pleased to read this and know that I'm not going mad! I will be reverting then and hoping they don't discontinue it!

Just a thought but until the new top coat issues are resolved, might it be worth trying a double coat of top coat? (Two thin coats always being better than one thick one). We shouldn't need to do it really, & it's extra time etc but if all else fails..

Just a thought but until the new top coat issues are resolved, might it be worth trying a double coat of top coat? (Two thin coats always being better than one thick one). We shouldn't need to do it really, & it's extra time etc but if all else fails..

It could work but it wouldn't resolve that strange yellow tinge in lighter colours. Definitely a catch 22 situation xx

It may also take longer to remove that way :(

Did anyone even find the new top coat easier to remove? I found it pretty samey

I can't honestly say it seems much if any quicker, it seems a bit silly that so many people are having issues. I, for one haven't mentioned it to Sweet Squared but thinking I might next week when I pop over for the new colours, would be a good idea if we all do otherwise we'll be stuffed when the old one is discontinued!!

I can't honestly say it seems much if any quicker, it seems a bit silly that so many people are having issues. I, for one haven't mentioned it to Sweet Squared but thinking I might next week when I pop over for the new colours, would be a good idea if we all do otherwise we'll be stuffed when the old one is discontinued!!

Go on Emily u go first

I've not had problems with the new topcoat but do notice a slight yellowy tinge on light colours, this goes once cured though in my experience. Also I did some training the other week and was told they are not discontinuing the old top coat. Hopefully it's true. Xx

I have already done so, so please someone else do it! I wonder if they will say 'Ooh we haven't had any negative feedback or problems with it' which is what they said to me! :/

I have already done so, so please someone else do it! I wonder if they will say 'Ooh we haven't had any negative feedback or problems with it' which is what they said to me! :/
I shall mention it, for sure!

I've been told that they have not had any issues and that it's amazing

[emoji58] ridiculous

Latest posts

Back