Suffering with acne, need help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmalou91x

Reaction score
Hi all.

Iv been suffering with acne since the age of about 13-14. I am now 28 in 2 days and still have spots which are really bad atm and get me soo down to the point im embarassed to look at people :(

Iv used all sorts of creams over the years. I am on yasmin pill which is supposed to help with acne to but...

I want and need to sort my skin out otherwise i feel like im just going to be like this forever. But what do i do??? I need some professional help.

Sooo... my bad points are...

- I get spots on my upper lip and chin (occasionally on my cheeks, but rare).
- My diet isnt great, i do eat alot of chocolate :/
- i dont wash my make up off before bed. Because i feel too ugly to :(
- Also stressed alot and suffer with aniexty more since having my little boy (now 15 months) i run 2 business's look after my little boy, house, dog, with not much help from my partner.

What could be causing it and anyone know what i can do?

My skin isnt oily with and i dont actually get blackhead. Its spots and painful lumps/spots i get.

Sorry for the long post. At my wits end and need help xxx

Last edited:
Poor you. It sounds like you are experiencing cystic acne which is very painful, causes scarring and generally makes you feel miserable. This was my problem so I do understand.

You need to go to an Environ salon and buy their Accumax supplement which will really help a lot to reduce the breakouts. They'll also recommend another supplement to boost the results called Youth Biome. This is a skin supporting probiotic and the two together are a real power duo. You can buy these online also from the Advanced Nutritional Programme website. If you can only afford one supplement buy the Accumax.

Another option is Skinade. This is a daily vitamin drink and I've had very good results with acne clients. Long term, the Accumax will help to balance your skin to stop break outs from occurring. Short term, the Skinade will clear up spots. I'd be tempted to buy a month's supply of Skinade, add in the Youth Biome as soon as you can afford it and switch to Accumax when you run out of Skinade. You can take all three supplements together but cost wise that's expensive.

Next I suggest using Jane Iredale makeup. This is a hyper allergenic pure mineral makeup. This make up is calming, anti-inflammatory and doesn't block pores. I'd recommend removing make-up at night - but iif you sleep in JI it isn't going to make your skin unhappy.

You need a good spot cream to use on open spots. Get one from your GP or Pharmacist. Don't use this on hard, hot lumps unless your GP/pharmacist says it will help, only on spots that have come to a pus head, or are open/erupted. Environ do a spot cream which is very good on "normal" spots and helps the skin heal much faster and without dryness or skin flaking.

The lumps will heal faster if you shine a bright blue led light on them. You can buy laser pointers which work well. Make sure you haven't bought an unusually strong light because they can burn you - but something for normal classroom use will penetrate the layers of skin down to the unhappy bits. Shine it on your lumps and spots for 5-15 minutes. The blue light will kill bacteria. Red light heals and you can buy red/blue led facial tools from China. They are very helpful.

Other options include lancing the cyst quite deeply with a sterilised needle. Squeezing cyst spots (with or without a lanced hole) is problematic. If you're desperate you might try this. If you are lucky with your skin you might be able to empty the accumulated sebum without pushing it deeper, but you should expect your skin to be badly damaged by squeezing with ruptured cells, inflammation and possibly bacterial infection which is as nasty as it sounds. A hot compress over a lanced cyst might loosen and soften everything sufficiently to squeeze out some of the sebum without too much damage and give some pain relief from the reduction in pressure.

Skincare doesn't make too much of a difference - it's really about supplementation to help your hormones balance and encourage your skin cells to normalise. Putting stuff on your face won't change your skin cells unless it's medically prescribed. The one exception are the Environ products which do penetrate the skin and are clinically proven - however every Environ salon will tell you that supplementation will achieve up to 85% improvement. Products and treatments will improve the results you get with supplementation, but aren't as effective without supplements.

Finally stress will be affecting your hormones and driving the acne. Anything that you can do to improve your unhappiness and ease you feelings of being overwhelmed will help.

I went through much the same experience as you from time to time in my 30's and 40's. I had really good results from all sorts of products - especially aromatherapy products I made myself, but it wasn't until I trained with Environ that I was able to just forget about my skin issues and just enjoy great skin with very little fuss or effort. Now in my 50's I've sailed (skin wise) through the menopause and a very stressful period in my life.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Iv been suffering with acne since the age of about 13-14. I am now 28 in 2 days and still have spots which are really bad atm and get me soo down to the point im embarassed to look at people :(

Iv used all sorts of creams over the years. I am on yasmin pill which is supposed to help with acne to but...

I want and need to sort my skin out otherwise i feel like im just going to be like this forever. But what do i do??? I need some professional help.

- Also stressed alot and suffer with aniexty more since having my little boy (now 15 months) i run 2 business's look after my little boy, house, dog, with not much help from my partner.

My skin isnt oily with and i dont actually get blackhead. Its spots and painful lumps/spots i get.

I have a very all round approach to acne.

I had it for 15 years. I tried all my below recommendations over the years, however never all at once, which is what works in my experience.

The yasmin after years of acne to be prepared for my wedding and it made it ten times worse going on and ten times worse coming off. To be rid of it was hard but totally worth it. It is not the miracle it’s touted as.

I switched to the evra patch
6 weekly facials
basic skincare but once a day (twice causes irritation and is a waste, plus before makeup = not helpful anyway, best left for special occasions.

Basic routine: remove makeup, cleanse tone, moisturise daily and exfoliating and mask much less once or twice a month. HOWEVER you need to have skin typed first which you can get at your facial if you don’t know already. Acne is generally oily but it’s not always the case, especially when medications added to the mix. Thing is as soon as you add dehydration or a skin condition, it’s very hard to tell for sure without a professional opinion.

I saw most improvement when combined with cutting out dairy and soya. I went vegan at the beginning of this all for one process and it wasn’t overnight but it does help a lot.

GP is your friend. Being firm and saying you’ve tried everything and are ready for roaccutane but want a last try before going for it, will usually get you a prescription for lymecycline or the brand version which is a hero! It fights p. acne. I found out about it in a very very good book called ‘Acne and Rosacea.’ It was blue but can’t remember author. It has amazing info.

The thing is, we try everything but very rarely does anyone try everything at once and get results.

A pill might help eg if diet was good and skin was typed and using right products. But dairy may interfere (just examples here). You might have tried every product under the sun..and I can totally sympathise! I think those with acne know more about skincare than anyone, but it’s so hard to get everything clicked into the right place. So no random high street products. No mixing and matching. Elemis rebalancing is also wonderful at battling blemishes.

All for one plan:

Diet: Varied, lots water, check for random items that cause flare ups (for me soya yoghurts..cause huge lumps on my face but not tofu or soya greek..must be an additive).

GP: Go and don’t give up. Try everything as prescribed exactly for as long as they tell you. Tell them how much this is impacting your life. Keep going back.

Contraception: Seriously consider if what you are using is right and whether you would be happy using something different. If it is and it helps then that’s great.

Facials: Skin typed. 6 weekly until feeling happier then as and when. Buy the products they recommend or buy the Elemis one to suit your skin type.

I really hope this helps. It took me 15 years to figure it out but now I have it’s been consistent and my clients get results too. Just hope my years of struggling can help you!

Hi Emma,
I hope you are feeling that someone cares about your skin....it seems that many of us have been there.Sound advice from The duchess and House beauty. You are not alone!
You must keep your face as clean as you can... but gently does it not to aggravate the sebaceous glands any more than necessary.. Liz earle have a gentle hot cloth cleanser , contains eucalyptus amongst the ingredients that is soothing and sanitising. Kaeso , available from alan howard - beauty warehouse do a similar product for about half the price of Liz earle.
I had very bad acne when I was 15-16 plus and it never really went away. Started taking the pill at 19 and the OMG severe pustular acne... Started taking another pill to counteract the hormones causing the acne called Diane in those days and it was a miracle. No more spots.
I never picked at them...just waited for the lovely custard head to appear then I squeezed gently to remove the pus..Oh the joys!

Due to the pill I became Mrs grumpy and had to come off it because my mood was very down and my boobs wrecked.
Skin was great until I reached 28 , and then it became cystic and bad all over again..
When will acne leave me alone I thought? In a job where the expectations are that you have perfect skin ....well not me !!

Back on a new pill called Dianette - contained cyproterone acetate to block my androgen production. Worked a treat in conjunction with aromatherapy compresses that soothed the enormous boils. I used geranium and lavender to soothe the boils and get my sebacious glands under control. It did work for me a little. However due to the pill I was a miserable soul all over again so that I had to stop. Then I started using roller ball antibiotics to keep the bacteria levels down and slowly it improved.
It worked for me eventually, so i was lucky. My skin is sensitive and a little couperose , but I accept it is so much better now i am older.

Some of my clients have tried my same options and have also had great results with roaccutane, prescribed by a dermatologist after a lengthy consultation.
See if your gp will get you an appointment with a consultant dermatologist, I am sure it will be well worth it.
keep us posted...we are on your side Emma.

Rosie

Might this CBD that everyone is raving about at the moment help?

Hi all.

What products are you using on your skin? I suffered with acne myself and the doctor gave me the contraceptive pill instead telling me it could be down to how I take care of my skin he just threw medication at me. After years of dealing with acne I went to a dermatologist who took me off the meds and gave me a good skincare routine, of just cleaning and moisturising everyday with exfoliating once a week or so. I also have oily skin which can be acne prone.

Why is everyone suggesting medication

Have you considered High Frequency facials? Combined with a skin care range like Environ you should get excellent results.

My daughter has had acne from being 13, she's 29 and still gets bouta brought on by stress and periods. She's tried everything, but High Frequency has worked amazingly. Even on her worst breakout, I can treat and dry out the breakout. Once her skin gets good I then give a course of gentle Glycolic peel (25%).

She still gets the odd breakout, but for the most time,its under control and has good looking skin.

Hi all.

Hi, I think I can help you! It's hard to recommend something without seeing your skin can you upload a photo? I would highly recommend trying IPL treatments and microdermabrasion. IPL can kill the bacteria in your skin, reduce inflammation, stimulate collagen, reduce scarring. Microdermabrasion is a very very thorough exfoliation that unblocks pores, let's your products sink in further, brings blood flow to the surface etc. I'd be happy to recommend more specific products and treatments if you can put a photo up.

If you don't like removing your makeup (obviously this isn't ideal) I would suggest that you try bare minerals. I used this when I had acne in the past the coverage is better than you would think!

Hi all.

Hi I used to suffer with cystic acne and boils, been washing my face with hibiscrub for over a year and haven't had a boil since but occasionally get small breakouts on my chin if it's time of the month but nothing compared to what I used to suffer so I would recommend it, boots sell but you can buy online too just make sure you use a moisturiser as it's quite drying, again I can't use many things without it breaking me out so I use glycolic toner and moisturiser and it's gteat...really recommend hibiscrub

Hi I used to suffer with cystic acne and boils, been washing my face with hibiscrub for over a year and haven't had a boil since but occasionally get small breakouts on my chin if it's time of the month but nothing compared to what I used to suffer so I would recommend it, boots sell but you can buy online too just make sure you use a moisturiser as it's quite drying, again I can't use many things without it breaking me out so I use glycolic toner and moisturiser and it's gteat...really recommend hibiscrub
Also I'm not a health person at all but I really really do notice a big difference if I drink lots of water

I didn't know hibiscrub do a face wash, I use their hand wash.

I didn't know hibiscrub do a face wash, I use their hand wash.
It will be the same one, it's just a strong antibacterial but I read on a forum it's helped alot of people with skin issues

It will be the same one, it's just a strong antibacterial but I read on a forum it's helped alot of people with skin issues

Well if it works for you thats great, it does sound quite harsh on the skin, there are different types of acne though, for instance hibiscrub wouldn't really do much for hormonal acne as that is an internal issue where as acne resulting from oily skin or no skincare routine, hibiscrub would be way to harsh and kill good bacteria as well as bad. Other products that are quite harsh and drying on the skin would be witch hazel, alcohol, sulphates ect. Some of my clients who would have really oily skin stopped using dermalogica for example and started using simple skincare found their skin cleared up in weeks.

Well if it works for you thats great, it does sound quite harsh on the skin, there are different types of acne though, for instance hibiscrub wouldn't really do much for hormonal acne as that is an internal issue where as acne resulting from oily skin or no skincare routine, hibiscrub would be way to harsh and kill good bacteria as well as bad. Other products that are quite harsh and drying on the skin would be witch hazel, alcohol, sulphates ect. Some of my clients who would have really oily skin stopped using dermalogica for example and started using simple skincare found their skin cleared up in weeks.
Completely agree you have to find something that works for you, I felt as though I was going round in circles until I found something I could stick with but thankfully works great for me as long as the rest of my skincare routine is great

Latest posts

Back