Suggestions for alternatives to CND Colour & Effects

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm returning to the salon after a 2 year break and need to get a new collection of enamels. During my "break", CND have changed from the old collection to colour & effects, which to be honest I dont like (which is a great shame because I loved the old collection and would have liked to stick with CND).

Can anyone recommend an alternative, good professional enamel collection for use in the salon?

What is it you don't like about CND's new range-to give us an idea what you're after? I personally love the formula.

What about OPI they have a great selection of colours, lots of marketing and promo ranges and prices are great xx

I've got nothing against the quality of the polishes, but I dont like the fact that you cant pick up a bottle and see the colour you're getting. There were a lot of finishes in the old collection that you just cant get with the new collection, and to be honest I dont really want to have to ask my client to buy 2 bottles of polish if she wants to take her colour home with her.

I've never tried OPI but do know they are a professional brand. I might look into that, thanks.

How about SpaRitual? I've always liked their polishes an they offer excellent POS displays and seasonal
collections.

Color & Effects is great, but this does mean you may find it harder to offer themed collections. Particularly if you retail polishes too.

I must admit I am looking at use SR instead of CND. As you say I like fact you can pick and polish .... Jut like you can with Shellac.

Mat

Thanks for your advice, it is helpful

PixieBeauty, where do you buy your OPI from? Do you order from Lena White? I have heard that she has a £100 minimum purchase, which would be no problem when I first buy the colours but I wont want to wait till I have £100 worth of re ordering to do each time I want to replenish stock

Thanks for your advice, it is helpful

PixieBeauty, where do you buy your OPI from? Do you order from Lena White? I have heard that she has a £100 minimum purchase, which would be no problem when I first buy the colours but I wont want to wait till I have £100 worth of re ordering to do each time I want to replenish stock

Sally's sell OPI, and they quite often have 5-for-4 deals too :biggrin:

I use and love CND Colour & Effects.

Have previously used OPI, Essie and Nails Inc. I would have no hesitation in using Essie again, they have a brilliant range of colours and they don't go thick or gloopy.

thanks, I've been to Sally's this evening and bought half a dozen OPI's to do a road test before I invest in the full range. They have a great line of crackle effect polishes too. My first impressions with the OPI are great, they look amazing.

Ive always used opi and love it.. I used to use cnd in the salon i worked in but dont like it as much as opi and like you said i wouldnt like asking a client to purchase the two!! Also lena white online is not a minimum order of £100 i think its £50 off the top of my head.. :)

I get mine from Sally's but to be honest the trade shows are great as they usually take everything with them and you can see all the polishes. Plys they do deals on 12 polishes etc.

I love OPI and see what you mean about CND C&E but I'm sticking with them for now (as it fits with my whole business).

Good luck though I'm sure OPI won't disappoint. Sally's do usually have great stock for OPI xx

I have to say I love opi, however with colour and effects you don't have to use an effect you can just use a colour xxxx

Go to Sally's and stock up on opi next vat free day! It's cheap as chips and you really get your money's worth x

I also use CND C&E as all my other products are also CND, I wanted the same brand in everyting I use as much as possible. However, I am finding the new C&E polishes hard to work with. I love how fast they dry but this makes using them quite tricky sometimes. I find this moreso with the darker colours as obviously I try to apply carefully as the darker colours are harder to get off the skin but if I'm too slow applying them, they are drying so fast that it goes very sticky and gloopy if anyone understands what I mean??

So as much as I love them, I'm also thinking whether to switch to a different brand. I don't use them often tbh as everyone that comes to me wants Shellac but when I do use them, I'd like to feel confident I'll get a really good finish, which with these atm, I'm not confident with at all, they just dry too fast!

I can't remember the last time I used regular nail enamel; everyone wants shellac now.
I'm a died in the wool CND girl but I was so disappointed in the C & E range because of the two colour doodaa.

I can't remember the last time I used regular nail enamel; everyone wants shellac now.
I'm a died in the wool CND girl but I was so disappointed in the C & E range because of the two colour doodaa.

So if you were just starting out Lynne (as I am!) would you even bother to get a stock of regular nail enamels?

Nah, not really. I'd probably have the wherewithal to do a French, a decent base coat and top coat, maybe a proper red, a pale translucent pink and a rouge noir/fedora type colour.

So if you were just starting out Lynne (as I am!) would you even bother to get a stock of regular nail enamels?

Sorry to butt in here as I know you've asked Lynne but my response would be to still have a little stock of regular enamels as there are still people that prefer a good old fashioned Manicure or Pedicure. I have one client who no matter how much I say how fabulous Shellac is, she just doesn't want to try it (odd if you ask me Lol!)
I also do pamper evenings and so need regular polish for this, as it's a quick file and polish, no time to do Shellac or such like at these type of events.

An afterthought on my previous post also though, is I prefer using polishes that are professional only. I don't like OPI, never have done but like even less as they can now be purchased by the consumer in several places. The benefit of CND, is that it can literally only be purchased by a professional. It's of no benefit to me to use and try to retail something that they can use and purchase themselves

Thanks guys (and apologies OP for the thread hijack! :o)

I think, like you both suggest, I only need to get a fairly small selection and in quite traditional colours. My mum is a classic example - she regularly goes to the salon for a mani/pedi but she'd be more likely to dye her hair green than have Shellac or a gel overlay, never mind extensions! I think it's the thought of not being able to remove it themselves that bothers a lot of older people (although they could if they really wanted to obviously) - they think they're going to be stuck with it for life I think.

I have to add I hardly ever use polish now it's all shellac now xxxworth investing in xxx

As we all know you can buy CND from any number of places on the net whether you are a professional or not.
eBay, Effortless nails, tailormade nails are just three.

Latest posts

Back