Suitable hair tone for skin tone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlinfaulks

Reaction score
I’ve always had trouble visualising what tones in hair colour (warm/cool) suit people’s skin tone. We’re lucky that most people who come to us as hairdressers in the salon have a strong desire for either warm or cool and decide for you, we’ve all heard the “I want NO ORANGE!”

I’m just wondering what everyone’s go-to method is for determining what hair colour tones suit what skin tones. I was once told that the easiest way to go about it is warm skin always goes with warm hair and vice versa, but I’m interested in how other hairdressers determine what goes best.

Thank you :)

Ooh, this is a good one!!

Preferred jewelry tones is a starter. If you prefer gold you're likely to be better warm.
Eyes- blue or grey eyes are almost always paired with cool, pinky toned skin.
Brown and hazel tend towards warmer, yellow tones skin.
Green can vary.

Look on the skin on the inside of the wrist as that is thinner and you can see the underlying tones better. Yellowish , pinky white or more neutral brown.
Ask them to put their wrist to their face and agree that their skin is normally similar in tone or look.

The other thing we used to do was cover a board on one side with silver foil and the other with a gold.
Tip each side underneath the face and see which reduced dark circles under the eyes best.

Out of the 3 areas to compare- skin, eyes and hair most people have one being a contrast ( I remember this from some Schwarzkopf training).
So brown eyes, dark brown hair, cool skin works best with warmer hair tones but cooler clothes.

But of course the beauty of hair colour is that's it's always changeable, and we have the ability to refine the intensity so much.

Most colour houses have more information and useable resources on this subject.

I’ve always had trouble visualising what tones in hair colour (warm/cool) suit people’s skin tone. We’re lucky that most people who come to us as hairdressers in the salon have a strong desire for either warm or cool and decide for you, we’ve all heard the “I want NO ORANGE!”

I’m just wondering what everyone’s go-to method is for determining what hair colour tones suit what skin tones. I was once told that the easiest way to go about it is warm skin always goes with warm hair and vice versa, but I’m interested in how other hairdressers determine what goes best.

Thank you :)
Ask to see the underside of your clients wrists.
If the veins look Blue - they have a cool skin tone.
Green - warm skin tone
Somewhat violet/purple or mixed - Neutral. This is what I use generally and then my other choice would be to use silver / gold reflects like @TheOracle mentioned.

Latest posts

Back