Sulfate and silicone free shampoo recommendations desperately needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
Hi, I can't use sulfates because they irritate my skin badly. I'm also allergic to other detergents, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, amonium lauryl sulfate. Finding a shampoo I can use is becoming a nightmare. I'm also sensitive to menthol, peppermint and lavender!

Before anyone asks, I am definitely washing correctly.

My last one was Bain De Terre keratin shampoo -left my root area very heavy and never looked clean. A shame as it was one of the best lathering sulfate free shampoos I've tried. I think I was experiencing more breakage and hair loss with this too.

I've also used Tigi Catwalk volume (it was in a black and purple bottle). I really hated this, left my hair very tangled, dry, dirty and just horrid.

Tigi Rockaholic Livin' The Dream, felt very chemically and weird. It was ok, quite drying though.

I've tried a very natural shampoo based on soapwort but it didn't lather at all and I couldn't get on with it.

I used to use the body shop rainforest range, just out of convenience as I could buy it locally, but I prefer salon brands and also TBS closed down near me.

Please help! Give as many suggestions as you can as I have to go through all the ingredients. I haven't washed my hair for over a week. I have actually been debating go no-poo, though it seems too much work, just because I am sick of the shampoo hunt. I looked at Wen but it seems a lot of work, I've heard of quite a few people experiencing hair loss with it and I think they all contain menthol.

My hair is very long, very straight, fine but there's a lot of it. It used to be dyed with the dreaded xxl but has since been stripped and coloured level 6 with Keune. My roots are virgin as I'm pretty much at my natural colour now and haven't coloured since July. I have quite a lot of breakage. So I've got very processed midlengths and ends with a slightly greasy scalp.

Not a hair pro but Can you not just wash it with conditioner? Works for me and I've heard good feedback from people who do?!

I've never tried. I just assumed it would make my roots really greasy? Any specific ways to do it or anything? Thanks.

I really like bed head sulfate free Superstar :) .. I used it on my extensions for 4 months and it was amazing ! Don't know about silicone though? I could check when I get home if you wish! X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412091130.172883.jpg

That's the ingredients, from google.

I don't know about lathering though as only ever smoothed it down my hair .. But i was told less sulfates/no sulfates affect the amount a shampoo will lather? Is this wrong? X

Have you tried Aveda shampoos they're meant to be very good.

Have you tried Aveda shampoos they're meant to be very good.

Aveda are all natural, I've used the makeup before and it's lovely!

Is it easy to get a hold of though? I got mine from a salon in Glasgow, which is about 6 miles from me x

They sell it in John Lewis and Debenhams (online) and salons if you can find one!

It's easier to get hold of than I thought. :)
An Aveda geek may have to tell the OP which is the best to try though!

Redken have a new one out .. Diamond oil .. I've not used it but I love the extreme range shampoo and conditioner so can imagine how good this would be !

Definitely buying some myself :) xx

The Redken diamond oil mask is amazing. I've not tried the shampoo though!

The Redken diamond oil mask is amazing. I've not tried the shampoo though!

I just love redken! The extreme shampoo and conditioner got my badly over processed hair into a decent, nice silky state after not long!

Would definitely buy the diamond oil one ! ... I just used to hate the price tag for the size of bottle but it's so concentrated that it lasts aaaaages which is good :) and that was before I was studying hair and didn't always use pro products lol! Now I can spend that on a shampoo no problem haha xx

Macadamia is a nice sulphate free range and contains macadamia and Argan oil so quite conditioning too.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I diligently looked up the ingredients of everything suggested and can't use a single one :( they mostly use Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate or ammonium lauryl sulfate to replace the SLS, both of which are irritants. I bought a shampoo by Avalon organics today which, on closer inspection, I can't use either so I'm hoping they'll let me return it. I'm going to try conditioner washing with a faith in nature silicone free, but honestly I'm close to giving up!

Thank you all so much for trying. Damn my overly sensitive skin! Xx

I diligently looked up the ingredients of everything suggested and can't use a single one :( they mostly use Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate or ammonium lauryl sulfate to replace the SLS, both of which are irritants. I bought a shampoo by Avalon organics today which, on closer inspection, I can't use either so I'm hoping they'll let me return it. I'm going to try conditioner washing with a faith in nature silicone free, but honestly I'm close to giving up!

Thank you all so much for trying. Damn my overly sensitive skin! Xx

I don't know if this contains it ? But I assume purology would be pure and natural and if it says zero silicone zero sulfate it would be ? Xx

I don't know if this contains it ? But I assume purology would be pure and natural and if it says zero silicone zero sulfate it would be ? Xx

The link didn't attach !

http://m.feelunique.com/p/Pureology...Pureology-Precious-Oil-Shampoo-250ml&slang=EN

Or this website you can buy a 1l.. If you tried it and did like it obv !

http://www.gorgeousshop.com/brands/pureology/precious-oil?SID=g2qhdhgcf6tkop7g2jqu6kcrj6

Here's the ingredients ..

Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Sodium Cocoamphopropionate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Decyl Glucoside, PEG-150 Distearate, Parfum/Fragrance, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Linalool, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Coumarin, Methyl Cocoate, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract/Sunflower Seed Extract, Sodium Cocoate, Lecithin, Geraniol, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

X

Thank you guys so much. Funnily enough the first brands I looked into in my desperate search were Aveda and Pureology. Aveda contains ammonium lauryl sulfate which my skin hates (sulfate is something to do with the size of the molecule, it can enter the skin and as a result be very irritating). Pureology use Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate which can also have a similar result. Most detergents irritate me sadly. I have to use skin care which is as plain as possible. I tried dr bronners but felt it left a film, considering it leaves residue all over my bathtub it's probably not good! I might give it another try though. I'm going to give the conditioner washing a go. Cross you're fingers for me guys xx

Thank you guys so much. Funnily enough the first brands I looked into in my desperate search were Aveda and Pureology. Aveda contains ammonium lauryl sulfate which my skin hates (sulfate is something to do with the size of the molecule, it can enter the skin and as a result be very irritating). Pureology use Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate which can also have a similar result. Most detergents irritate me sadly. I have to use skin care which is as plain as possible. I tried dr bronners but felt it left a film, considering it leaves residue all over my bathtub it's probably not good! I might give it another try though. I'm going to give the conditioner washing a go. Cross you're fingers for me guys xx

I personally can't see a conditioner working to cleanse the hair but fingers are crossed for you! It must not be easy to find a shampoo when even the 'purest' contain irritants !

Have you tried baby shampoo actually? Just out of curiosity .. I know it strips colour, not a pro product etc but I'm assuming with your skin being so sensitive it can't take much , including colour?

I would never normally suggest it but my dad can't use any shampoo other than it or his head breaks out in rashes etc ! X

I'm so so interested in this topic I keep researching all possibilities lol!!

What about these ingredients ?

Aqua (water), Sodium lauroyl methyl isethionate, Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, Sorbitan sesquicaprylate, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Sodium methyl isethionate, Lauric acid, Vitellaria paradoxa (shea butter), Pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, Citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) fruit extract, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Citronellyl methylcrotonate, Trisodium
ethylenediamine disuccinate, Sodium chloride, Limonene, Sodium cocoyl glycinate, Parfum (fragrance), Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, Xanthan gum, Linalool, Citric acid, Methyl hydrogenated rosinate, Phytantriol, Methylisothiazolinone, Biosaccharide Gum-1.

Latest posts

Back