Sulphate free shampoo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataylor0510

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good sulphate free shampoo and conditioner to stop colour fading? ie redken, tigi or any others you can think of??

Can anyone recommend a good sulphate free shampoo and conditioner to stop colour fading? ie redken, tigi or any others you can think of??

Pureology range, I am in love with this stuff so are my clients. Best out there

Great thanks! What about in the redken or tigi range as my client really likes it?

It will say on the ingredients if it contains sulphate :) I cant advise on those as we only stock EVO

♥♡

Tigi s factor "health factor" is sulphate and paraben free. It's a fab shampoo and smells amazing!

Hey all, long time lurker, first post here. But had to jump in on this one as I'm a bit of an ingredient nerd! Could I ask the reason for avoiding sulphites? SLS isn't all bad, and has had some bad press... The main reason it's in products is to produce a foam/lather, people love the foam!

There was some 'research' conducted that said it could cause cancer, but if you took any chemical - synthetic or natural, and spun the research in the right way it could show ANYTHING causing cancer!

What is really important, and we must remember is SLS, and parabens equally have been safely used in products for the last 90 years or so, where as they new synthetic chemicals replacing them haven't got as much knowledge or background on the long term effects that they could possibly have! The best thing I find is to educate guests on why Parabens and SLS exist in products, and why they're actually better than other options...

I'll shut my trap now. :D

Hey all, long time lurker, first post here. But had to jump in on this one as I'm a bit of an ingredient nerd! Could I ask the reason for avoiding sulphites? SLS isn't all bad, and has had some bad press... The main reason it's in products is to produce a foam/lather, people love the foam!

There was some 'research' conducted that said it could cause cancer, but if you took any chemical - synthetic or natural, and spun the research in the right way it could show ANYTHING causing cancer!

What is really important, and we must remember is SLS, and parabens equally have been safely used in products for the last 90 years or so, where as they new synthetic chemicals replacing them haven't got as much knowledge or background on the long term effects that they could possibly have! The best thing I find is to educate guests on why Parabens and SLS exist in products, and why they're actually better than other options...

I'll shut my trap now. :D

The sulphates used are strong detergents that strip the hair of essential oils and cause excessive colour fade. Salts also strip colour and cause cuticle damage. Extensions need to be washed with these products also... Pureology products use a natural foamer

Perhaps in cheap products you'll find that (Shop bought), but pick up any high end brand, SLS will be there very near the top of the QI. Parabens stop products going mouldy, and SLS is actually a gentle foaming agent, as well as a sufricant which blends water and oil together.

Honestly, I'm not on a pro SLS campaign, just the facts. :)

Perhaps in cheap products you'll find that (Shop bought), but pick up any high end brand, SLS will be there very near the top of the QI. Parabens stop products going mouldy, and SLS is actually a gentle foaming agent, as well as a sufricant which blends water and oil together.

Honestly, I'm not on a pro SLS campaign, just the facts. :)

They are however the same compounds used engine degreasants and commercial cleaners. They are also a known irritant.

Yes they are, I never said they weren't. They're also in food! What I said was they have a history of over 90 years being used safely in consumption and cosmetics.

Where as the sneaky replacement synthetics they put in 'SLS FREE' and 'Paraben free' products do not have a history if safe use, and no long term effects are know about them! If you remove a vital ingredient from a formulation, it'll need to be replaced with something else!

It's all marketing, marketing, marketing.

Honestly, read the ingredient list of a 'SLS free' shampoo, I guarantee you'll still see the sulphites on the list, just renamed.

Example: Pureology Super Smooth QI List:
After water the first 4 ingredients are Sulphates, all basically SLS but restructured slightly, and the SLS has been pulled apart into separate synthetic ingredients so that it's hidden.

Water
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
Sodium Lauryl Benzene Sulfonate
Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate

Some like it hot and superstar I'm sure are sulphate free by tigi but not sure if good for colour fading

Thinking of it Colour goddess bed head is sulphate free x

Example: Pureology Super Smooth QI List:
After water the first 4 ingredients are Sulphates, all basically SLS but restructured slightly, and the SLS has been pulled apart into separate synthetic ingredients so that it's hidden.

Water
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
Sodium Lauryl Benzene Sulfonate
Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate

Sodium cocoyl isetthionate is a fatty acid derived from coconuts
Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is found in sugars and egg yolks
Disodium laureth sufocsuccinate is an extremely mild cleanser

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer on my background. I have studied cosmetic chemistry in my spare time, and fully intend to go into product development. What you're saying has no relation to what I have said, you're just trying to prove something? I can assure you a derivative of something doesn't make it natural at all, and they are synthetic.

What I actually said about those ingredients was they are all separated from SLS, and combined are SLS, but because people are scared of SLS it's hidden in products.

I'm not saying anything you've said is wrong, I'm just explaining that companies try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes, when it's just best to be honest, and use the old 'tried & tested' stuff.

I must say this isn't a very nice welcome at all, I tried to put some of my knowledge into a conversation, and everything I write you pretty much put your hand in my face and don't want to listen. I suddenly remember the reason I don't post on forums. :-(

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer on my background. I have studied cosmetic chemistry in my spare time, and fully intend to go into product development. What you're saying has no relation to what I have said, you're just trying to prove something? I can assure you a derivative of something doesn't make it natural at all, and they are synthetic.

What I actually said about those ingredients was they are all separated from SLS, and combined are SLS, but because people are scared of SLS it's hidden in products.

I'm not saying anything you've said is wrong, I'm just explaining that companies try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes, when it's just best to be honest, and use the old 'tried & tested' stuff.

I must say this isn't a very nice welcome at all, I tried to put some of my knowledge into a conversation, and everything I write you pretty much put your hand in my face and don't want to listen. I suddenly remember the reason I don't post on forums. :-(

Dont let it put u off I had the same welcome :) many people many personalities so dont mix xx

♥♡

I had a similar welcome too, way back when but Im still here :lick:

As to Sulphates, the reason we like to avoid them is not really down to them possibly being carcinogenic, to be honest I think most things we come in to contact with have had the same scare mongering technique plopped on them ( I heard belly button fluff is the latest deadly substance...) But its what they do to the condition and integrity of your hair.

I will not apply extensions to a client who doesnt purchase Pureology or Joico sulphate free from me as regular shampoo simply destroy the condition of the hair by stripping of the coating thats been applied to them.

And yes, they do strip hair of its natural oils causing dry scalp, irritation and hair damage.

I study all sorts in my spare time....... Don't ya just love google? ;-)

I study all sorts in my spare time....... Don't ya just love google? ;-)

You obviously do?!?! You also need to update you're profile before giving anti salon pro produce.... If you we're trained in hair are or beauty you would not be on a mission to slander them given they are scientifically proven to restore and improve hair and skin etc...

Anyway Hun, joico colour endure and smooth cure are both sulphate free, I've not used any others however i am in love with joico and highly recommend xx need to be used correctly :)

Latest posts

Back