SumUp/iZettle pros and cons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isabel.Blake

Reaction score
I'm looking to get either of the card readers - sunup or izettle. Can anyone tell me if theres any major difference? I think iZettle takes a slightly higher percentage per transaction but is it more user friendly or more reliable than sum up? Or is sum up cheaper and better?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks

I’ve not used izettle.

I swapped to sum up after realising PayPal’s as sometimes raking £4-10 per client off me.

Sum ups fees are very good and the main screen on phone you can set up treatments that are popular with an image so you can find them easily, like an electronic till. Or type the price in.

A friend has izettle in her coffee shop and seems fine but I am aware hers comes with paper receipts..might just be an add on but it was out of my budget when I bought mine.

This should give you a discount on sumup if it’s suitable for you

http://r.sumup.com/referrals/mpswJ?share_id=1psjlNkg13sui6

I use Izettle, I have no experience with any other card reader. I like Izettle, it takes a percentage per transaction (for every £100 I take I receive £97.70) but the more you accept by cc or debit on it the amount they take reduces. It takes 48 hours for me to receive the money in my bank account. They have just been taken over by PayPal. I can take in person payments, or take payments by sending them a link via text or email for deposits. And it has a section in the app so you can check payment status. I always ensure the clients puts their PIN number in and not use contactless or swipe their card, as then they can never ever dispute the payment. As one of my crafty clients found out.

I can give receipts by email or text with the basic version. You can buy printers from Izettle to offer paper receipts too if you want to. I use the Izettle app as my till as I can take cash payments too so it adds up all my treatments and takings in 1 place, then I can print off either daily or monthly sales reports for my accountant and to see what exactly I am selling treatment wise. I have entered all my treatments into it as a menu, you can add images to it too.

I paid about £30 for the Izettle device. Been using it for 3 years with no issues so far.

I use Izettle as they had them on offer so only £19 to buy and 1.75% per transaction, I’m mobile so works in each clients house, links to phone, you can set up all treatment costs beforehand and ‘add them to the basket’ or can just put in any amount, I find it really easy to use, it shows you receipts and you can email the customer a copy, also tells me where the transaction was made so helps link up to who has paid by card, I’ve never used any others to compare it to, I mostly work Saturdays so they process payment on the Mondays, then can take up to 3 days so I get money usually by the thursday or Friday which can be annoying!

I've used both and they are both easy to set up and use. However, do check that they are compatible with your phone (especially if it's a slightly older one!)

I originally used Sumup but it didn't work very well with my phone, so I switched to iZettle. This was fine for a while, but then iZettle stopped support for Android 6 (this was a newer phone by then, so I was quite annoyed). However, I thought I'd try out Sumup again and it's been perfect - no issues at all! You can send receipts via email or mobile no. for those that need them. x

I started with sum up which worked perfectly for about a week then suddenly couldn't get a connection. I spent 2 phone calls, both lasting about 40 mins trying to sort out the issue. There's a certain procedure they tell you to do but even when i told them I'd done this several times before my second call they still insisted I did the same thing again. Both times it took 40 mins before it started working again (no good if you've got a client waiting) I've not switched to izettle and up to now it's been fine.

I use iZettle and it's pretty good for what I need. I find most clients still want to pay with cash, and the odd one with card. So it's nice to have the option. Sometimes it takes a while to connect to the phone so I just turn it off and on again and it's perfect. I've nothing to compare to as this is my first card reader.

I'm looking to get either of the card readers - SumUp or izettle. Can anyone tell me if theres any major difference? I think iZettle takes a slightly higher percentage per transaction but is it more user friendly or more reliable than sum up? Or is sum up cheaper and better?

Any advice would be great!
Thanks
I’ve used both. After lockdown my SumUp wouldn’t connect & it was a bit hit & miss whether it connected to my phone when it was working. I’m now using iZettle & it’s so much quicker! Slightly more expensive fees than sumup but I need the reliability. Hope this helps x

I’ve not used izettle.

I swapped to sum up after realising PayPal’s as sometimes raking £4-10 per client off me.

Sum ups fees are very good and the main screen on phone you can set up treatments that are popular with an image so you can find them easily, like an electronic till. Or type the price in.

A friend has izettle in her coffee shop and seems fine but I am aware hers comes with paper receipts..might just be an add on but it was out of my budget when I bought mine.

This should give you a discount on sumup if it’s suitable for you

http://r.sumup.com/referrals/mpswJ?share_id=1psjlNkg13sui6
Aw amazing thank you for the link! With sum up - If you don’t have Wi-Fi can you just connect to your phone connection?

Aw amazing thank you for the link! With sum up - If you don’t have Wi-Fi can you just connect to your phone connection?

Yes, it has a contactless card machine that uses Bluetooth to connect to your phone.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Gone for the SumpUp machine due to being a lower transaction fee and seemingly good reviews !

Latest posts

Back