Sun bed advice/recommended creams?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
So I just paid for a 120 minute course in the sun bed salon up the road from me. Tbh they weren't massively helpful, I had to really push them to tell me how often I should have sessions, how I should go up in minutes etc. They didn't tell me much about the beds either, when I asked the difference between stand up booths and beds. I meant, is the output any different between them, but was just told "one you stand up, one you lie down" :/ The two girls who were working there weren't very tanned themselves, which I found slightly unusual, made me wonder if the bulbs needed changing or something.

Anyway, too late now! They were very busy in there for a Tuesday afternoon, which hopefully is a good sign.

So, any advice guys? I've got a tiny bit of colour already on my arms and back from the sun a couple of weeks ago. I did 6 minutes on the lie down yesterday,which was fine, no redness, soreness, colour or anything. My only criticism is my back felt increasingly hot in places from the actual heat and I don't think there was a fan, or if there was it had been turned off and no one had shown me how to turn it on.

I don't remember the name of the bed, but it began with an L and it spoke to me and hoped I'd enjoyed my tan session lol! Don't know if that helps anyone?

When pushed, they said I can do another session this week for 6 minutes, then go up to 8 next week. I'm wondering if I should do 3 sessions a week though, as that seems to be the general advice I've found on google?

Would I be better off using the stand up booths? I hate standing still doing nothing and they make me feel a bit claustrophobic personally. I wasn't keen on such extreme heat on my back from being so close to the bulbs.

Should I use a sunbed cream and if so, what do people recommend? I don't want to go near tingle creams as I once felt burned just by using The Sanctuary boy lotion because it had a small amount of ginger it. Those menthol bubble baths for colds burn my skin too, so I'm guessing those tingle creams would be a nightmare for me.

I keep hearing about bronzers, but aren't those just self tan? Surely people use them, go on the beds and end up with streaks and funky coloured palms?

As you can tell, I'm a bit clueless with all this and didn't get as much help from the salon as I'd expected. I know a fab tanning shop in London, but I want somewhere close by that I can walk to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I want to tan as safely as possible and maximise my minutes. I do not need anyone telling me how bad they are and how they will cause cancer, etc, I'm also a smoker; it is my body and my choice. I'd like constructive advice please.

TIA xxx

I forgot to also add, my skin has decided to break out quite badly this wee on my back, chest and arms. The sun always clears it up and I'd been advised to use sun beds a few times in the past to help it. I'm thinking 3 sessions a week primarily for this reason, as it's really bothering me today. So I want to clear up the skin on my body and tan :)

Latest posts

Back