Sun In

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmh65

Reaction score
Hi all just need some advice my sister-in-law went to a friend's and they have put sun inn on her hair I do remember a bit about this when I was at college but that was quite a while ago she now says her hair has gone a lighter colour but is looking a little bit Orangery I know this stuff makes your hair go lighter over time and I know it's a pain to you stuff over the top of it she wants to put another colour over the top is this safe to do so as I know this stuff has reacted with other things

Good grief, is that stuff still being sold?
It used to contain metallic salts and so when an oxidising colour or bleach was applied afterwards, it reacted with the metals left in the hair and some of hair would break off.

You need to do a test for metallic salts (incompatibility test). Also take tiny swatches from different areas of the head as one section might be ok but another area could be contaminated.

Incompatibility Test
Mix 1 part perm solution to 20 parts 6% (20 vol) liquid peroxide in a glass dish. Add the hair and wait 20 minutes.

If you see any of the following, she’ll need to use a good quality chelating shampoo to remove the metals present in the hair.
Bubbling
Fizzing
Heat
Colour change

A normal deep cleansing shampoo won’t be adequate.
Ideally, look out for a specific product for removing metallic salts that’s sold in most wholesalers. Malibu make one but I think other brands are available too.

Finally, maybe try to educate your sister-in-law about using off the shelf diy lightening kits. They usually end up leaving hair looking and feeling awful.

Thank you for this i will pass this info onto her .
They should stop selling this stuff xxx

Latest posts

Back