Suntanning bed Burn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify a point:

Lavender essential oil is not an oil as such. Putting it on a burn will not cause heating of the skin, as would happen if you put, for instance, butter or sunflower oil on it. Lavender oil actually is well known for its healing properties, and when used correctly is one of the safest essential oils available. I would certainly never recommend anybody to put oil on a burn of any sort.

Hth's.

sorry to hear this, has he filled a record card in with his skin condition on it with the times and dates he uses the sunbed as this should be recorded at all times, even though he hasn't he still can make a claim as he asked for a certain time on the sunbed and didn't and got burnt, but if he had relised that he had gone over the time he stated he should have just got off the sunbed.
As the sunbeds in the shop been retubed sometimes these can burn even though you only ask for 6 mins or so and if so then there should be signs in the shop telling you this
hope he gets better
Ya know what? He was on our tanning card and since then the tanning salon has gone to computer system. So I don't know if he ever filled out a card.

The beds don't have new bulbs.

The thing that got me was that he told the girl that 2 days prior, he went in a regular bed for 20 mins and got red and this time he was going in a high intense bed and she still allowed him 10 mins out of a 12min max bed.:eek: (he wasn't red at all before going in the intense bed.I checked to make sure.

As I said before, apparently they don't train them anymore. when I worked in a salon that had 6 tanning beds, we were trained for 8 hrs and tested before we were allowed to handle customers. We had to know about meds, skin tones, etc.and we kept record of each visit and how long they went in and the results of the session.

I have put in a phone call for the owner to call me back.

Just phone Trading Standards or the local newspaper. It's disgusting that someone dealing with sunbeds receives no training.
i'm not trained but even i know that if you have pale skin you are not supposed to go on for more than 3 mins a time on your first few visits and no more than 20 sessions a year are recommended.

it makes complete sense. think about it, why would you put oil on a burn??? oil is not cooling and body temperature does heat it. you might not think so on normal skin and it does not heat to a dangerous level that his burns will blister, but it certainly won't help with the pain will it? it will heat enough to irritate skin that is already burned. when skin is burnt, it carries on producing more heat than normal skin (you only have to touch sunburn to feel the heat off it) and therefore anything that is likely to heat up, even to the temperature of burnt skin, is a definite no. Therefore you need a cream that cools and contains some kind of gentle antiseptic.

if you got admitted to a hospital with a burn, do you think they would put oil on it?

No, if it was a burn and not sunburn....they wouldn't put E45 on a burn either.

Anything you put on your skin will heat to skin temperature, even a seemingly 'cooling' cream will be heated by skin (especially hot, sunburned skin) within a matter of minutes. So it doesn't matter what temperature a cream or oil is in the bottle, it will be heated by your skin either way. In what way will an oil (say, for example, Bio Oil, almond oil or lavender oil) "irritate" the skin? I'd like to know your reasoning behind this.

i'm not sure who told you this but this is just complete marketing cr@p. Sunbeds and the sun produce the same UVA and UVB rays and therefore sunburn is exactly the same if you get if off the sun or the sunbed. UVA rays are the ones that age the skin, and UVB rays are the ones that primarily burns the skin. Sunbeds and the sun produce both.

Just for the record, sunbeds can differ from the sun in the ratio of UVA and UVB they deliver. As sunbeds can be adjusted to deliver certain amounts of each UV ray, and obviously the sun can't. The burning and tanning effects are much alike, though.

I always keep something called 'Water Jel Cool Burn Relief' in my fridge at home. It's what they carry on the ambulances here for minor burns and it's what I'll be taking away with me when we go on holiday in a few weeks time - just in case! You can buy it as a gel or as a dressing soaked in a gel, it apparently forms a protective layer while it moisturises the skin. I have dressings and a bottle of gel - I always use the gel if I get splattered by hot oil or burn myself while cooking and it does help. I'm sure it would help relieve sunburn too.

Jackie

well for starters you may be able to increase or decrease the level of UVB rays you get from the sunbed, but if you happen to be under for the equivalent amount of time then your burn will be the same as that of the sun, which JDs son has found out the hard way.

E45 is for minor burns and sunburn, which you would know if you read the packet, so actually yes, you can use it for 1st degree sunburn.

When i was 18 i suffered 2nd degree burns (where the skin blisters) from the sun, and the doctors did not recommend oil.. they put HC45 on it, which is an antiseptic cream.

severity of a burn also depends on mass. for instance a sparkler can burn at hundreds of degrees, but because the flicks are small you hardly notice them when they touch you, however if you jump in a hot bath of under 100 degrees, you can suffer severe burns because of the mass. and when you are sunburnt, a massive surface area of your skin affected, so the first thing you need to do is find something that cools it, rather than doesn't.

i know what i'm talking about because i've actually been there. so has my sister when she fell asleep next to a white wall on a beach in devon and spent 3 days in hospital. they didn't use oil on either of us, but rather treated the burns with by cooling the skin and using antiseptic creams.

you need to be very careful about advising people what to put on skin that's burnt, so unless you know for sure i wouldn't bother.

I too am going to have to disagree with the NOT using oil....
Check these threads out

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/31295-what-benefits-using-solar-oil.html look for the comment from Geeg...

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/26305-miracle-solar-oil-3.html

And this is taken from one of Mrs Geeks responses on page 3......talking about Solar Oil

I do know however that CND uses the highest grade of the 4 oils as possible, hence the wow factor. I also know that a major Burns Unit in Colorado use it by the gallon for 1st degree Burns victims because it helps speed up the healing process so well.... anyway - a bit of trivia for you all!!

well for starters you may be able to increase or decrease the level of UVB rays you get from the sunbed, but if you happen to be under for the equivalent amount of time then your burn will be the same as that of the sun, which JDs son has found out the hard way.

E45 is for minor burns and sunburn, which you would know if you read the packet, so actually yes, you can use it for 1st degree sunburn.

When i was 18 i suffered 2nd degree burns (where the skin blisters) from the sun, and the doctors did not recommend oil.. they put HC45 on it, which is an antiseptic cream.

severity of a burn also depends on mass. for instance a sparkler can burn at hundreds of degrees, but because the flicks are small you hardly notice them when they touch you, however if you jump in a hot bath of under 100 degrees, you can suffer severe burns because of the mass. and when you are sunburnt, a massive surface area of your skin affected, so the first thing you need to do is find something that cools it, rather than doesn't.

i know what i'm talking about because i've actually been there. so has my sister when she fell asleep next to a white wall on a beach in devon and spent 3 days in hospital. they didn't use oil on either of us, but rather treated the burns with by cooling the skin and using antiseptic creams.

you need to be very careful about advising people what to put on skin that's burnt, so unless you know for sure i wouldn't bother.

HC45 is not an antiseptic cream, it is a steroid cream containing hydrocortisone. It was probably used for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Yes, but you were referring to what they would apply to a burn should you end up in hospital. I doubt very much you'd go to hospital for the treatment of a minor burn.

I stated quite clearly in my first post that if Jayne's son had blisters that oil would not be the way to go.

We've already covered this....anything you apply to sunburned skin will heat to the skin's surface temperature in a matter of minutes. The best way to cool a sunburned body is to have a lukewarm shower, and then the best way to lock moisture into dry, sunburned skin is to apply oil while the skin is still damp.

I'm sure lots of other people on this forum have experience of sunburn and regular burns. If skin blisters due to sunburn, I would recommend that nothing be applied to the area that is blistered - the body is sorting itself out and providing a protective layer whilst it heals the underlying skin. Just to point out to you, Jayne's son did not attend hospital and neither did he blister, therefore it is quite safe to apply oil to his sunburned skin.

Thanks for the friendly warning :green:

here is a update:
first off, my young sons burn has turned in to a wonderful golden tan with no peeling.

Second , I did call the owner of the tanning salon, he tired to pass me off to the manager and I told him that it was only him that I was going to discuss this with or I was going to go to the general attorney and file a complaint.

Well he did listen. I told him the whole thing from telling this girl that my son was red after getting out of the regular tanning bed on sat, but by monday it was all gone to placing him in a high pressure bed for 10 out of a 12 min bed.

He asked if there was anything he could do for me in compensation. I said yeah..train your employees to know the correct time for different skin types! No, I didn't want any Free tans..

So there it stands. Hopefully..he will stand by his word of having the employees go thru the training.

I am thinking maybe my 18 year old still needs mom to go with him to make sure things don't get goofed up like this. ;)
It could be a very valuable lesson for him in the long run.

Thank you all for your input and information. Hopefully others will read this thread and learn a bit also. :hug::hug:

i think that 20 mins for a sunbed even on a regular bed is way too long, in the sunbed shop where i work, 12 mins is the maximum, and they have times in all rooms for different skin conditions and also at the reception area aswell, also all staff are trained especially new staff they are trained for the first week and left but if there are new beds in the salon they are also rained on them, and always updated when retubed which should be done every 12 months

i think that 20 mins for a sunbed even on a regular bed is way too long, in the sunbed shop where i work, 12 mins is the maximum, and they have times in all rooms for different skin conditions and also at the reception area aswell, also all staff are trained especially new staff they are trained for the first week and left but if there are new beds in the salon they are also rained on them, and always updated when retubed which should be done every 12 months
Actually, the timing depends on the type of bulbs you put in the bed. There are quite a few different types out there now including the old style of 30 min bulbs.
The newer ones are at a higher intensity and are less time spent in the bed to achieve the same amount of tanning.

Most manufactures recommend changing the tubes at a cerain amount of hours on the bed or at least every 6 months. Most tanning salon owners will try and go once a year as the bulbs are very spendy.

hi geeks,i was too badly burned about a year ago on high preasured beds ,they were just renewed ,i wasn`t new to sunbedding but i still got very badly burnt so bad i got sunstoke i was sick and i had diarohea :irked: which was no joke ,nobody could touch me for days it was awfull ,i used calmine lotion which help but i ended up having a totall body peel i was shredding for days .hope your son enjoys the prom 2m night and maybe nexted time have a spray tan its much safer :hug:

Latest posts

Back