Suntanning bed Burn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
Hey all geeks..My young son was put into a highpressure tanning bed for the max time after he told the girl that he burns easily. He is absolutley lobster red and hurts like a devil.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this is heal up quicker besides vinegar for the sting (burning feeling) and aloe?
It has been 2 days now and he is still quite red and tender to touch.

I am going to call the tanning salon today and let them know how they need to train these girls before unleashing them on the public.

Thanks in advance for any advice

How awful, your poor son! Definately get onto them that`s terrible!
I know nothing about sunbed tanning but can you use a normal aftersun or gel to soothe and moisturise?

natural yogurt smoothed on the skin is a remedy for real sunburn so it might work for this too

stanleyann

Put some lavender essential oil in the aloe vera gel. It helps the skin to heal. Maybe just one drop of lavender to a teaspoon of gel. DEFINITELY get in touch with the tanning place and tell them what happened.

Thanks guys, I will try the lavendar oil. and look for some after tanning stuff. We have natural yogurt in the house so that will be the first thing i go after him with..if he doesn't run away too quick LOL

The night after he tanned..his thighs were so burned he couldn't even wear shorts.
He has his big graduation prom dance this saturday so we must get this under control..

Thank you all again.

That's awful and sounds very painful let us know what the salon said when you have rung them. hope you get the sunburn sorted out.

No no no, you don't wanna be putting oil on it at all, or vinegar. Where did you get that idea from??? The last thing you should do is put oil on a burn, because his body temperature will heat the oil. vinegar counteracts bee or wasp stings because it is an alkaline. your son's skin is not "stinging", it's burning.

Your son's skin is a first degree burn hun, and if it's blistered it's second degree. just because it's caused by the UVB rays doesn't make it different to a normal burn so that's what you should treat him for.

i suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns to 80% of my body when i was 18. if i remember rightly the doctor gave me HC45, but check with your chemist they will know, and i had to smother myself in it. You can use after sun lotion too. Keep him well hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and treat it just as any other burn. Normal pain killers such as paracetomal will help with the pain.

don't put anything other than aftersun lotion on without speaking to the chemist, the HC45 cream (made by the same people as E45) will help, but check with the chemist i've got this right (it's either HC45 or E45) as they will know and it's a long time ago for me to remember (it's got it written on the tube anyway).

tepid baths and showers (not hot, for obvious reasons, or freezing cold). and if he becomes sick or cold you need to call the doctor.

i'd be having serious words with the manager of the shop too.

natural yogurt smoothed on the skin is a remedy for real sunburn so it might work for this too

stanleyann

if you get sunburnt on a sun bed THIS IS "real sunburn". there is absolutely no difference. and sun burn should be treated in the same way as a normal burn would be treated

Personally, after having suffered from serious sunburn, i wouldn't recommend putting anything on that someone else suggests to you, unless you've cleared it with a chemist/doctor.

i was told to put nothing on burns too...as the skin will heat that up also and result in further damage..

i remember rob had burns after a long bike ride....(yes there..:lol:) and the daft thing went and put cream on the burn...it heated up and caused him so much pain. So i got him to rinse the cream off in cold water and then he lay on the bed with a bag of frozen peas covered in a clean towel (yes there..:lol:)....while i was holding a fan on him..(yes there..:lol:)....xx

hows your son now...????....did you go back...??

Im not sure about thw whole body, but when my brother burnt his arm very badly, he had to dress his arm everyday, with a slather of E45 and damp bandages, he did this for 1 month, so that when a scab forms it will be soft and it wont scar!

Not 100% on it but thats what he did! Hope your son is ok! xx:hug:

yes, i'm sure that E45 is for mild sunburn, and the HC45 is for more serious burns, so E45 will probably be fine for your son, my legs had blistered so i think that's why the doc prescribed the HC45. as Bagpuss said, any other cream is a no no.

No no no, you don't wanna be putting oil on it at all, or vinegar. Where did you get that idea from??? The last thing you should do is put oil on a burn, because his body temperature will heat the oil. vinegar counteracts bee or wasp stings because it is an alkaline. your son's skin is not "stinging", it's burning.

I'm with you on the vinegar, but your comment about the oil makes no sense, if he is indeed burnt but not blistered (you didn't mention blisters Jayne - is he?).

His body will not be getting that hot that it will heat the oil to a dangerous or harmful temperature, if his body is that hot Jayne - take him to your nearest ER!

A lukewarm shower followed by slathering on something like Bio Oil (do you have that in the States?) while his skin is still damp will lock much-needed moisture into his skin.

I do hope he gets better before his prom! :hug:

Jayne - hope your sun is a lot better now :hug:

As Antonio has said E45 is a fab cream and is used for lots of skin problems/irritation.

E45link

- Great skin starts here

Now many of you may think I have gone completely bonkers (BTW I can't go totally mad because I already am :lol:) but an Antiseptic Healing cream called Sudocrem is fantastic for sunburn amongst other things).

Sudocrem link

Treating sunburn with Sudocrem, the antiseptic barrier cream for sore skin conditions

It was intended I believe for nappy rash and bed sores but I can tell you that it is a fantastic all round cream (not for a face cream tho :eek: as it is a thick emollient, therefore unsuitable IMHO as a facial moisturiser)

Not sure if you can get it in the states, but hopefully your son is already feeling better xx

HTHs xx

Now many of you may think I have gone completely bonkers (BTW I can't go totally mad because I already am :lol:) but an Antiseptic Healing cream called Sudocrem is fantastic for sunburn amongst other things).

Not mad at all!!:lol:

We have about 4 large pots of the stuff in my house and we all swear by it for a multitude of uses. And I lurve the smell of it too!:lol::lol:

Regarding your son's sunburn though I would strongly suggest getting a doctor to look at him. Sunbeds are lethal in my opinion because poeple are lulled into a false sence of security with, when in fact they are every bit as bad as roasting yourself in the sun.

Hi guys~
No blisters Amy (thank god) It was very hot to the touch and he kept complaining that it just 'burned!"
Now I have seen and was taught that a sunbed burn is not like a nature sun burn..You will not peel with the suntan beds with 1st degree
but you can blister and get 3rd degree burns. That make sense?

Anyhoo...I did apply only aloe right from the start and 2 days later added a drop of lavendar oil in it. Will have to say at that point he didn't have that Burning sensation but was very tender to touch and the oil did help.

Now saying this, I not sure what his reaction would have been if I had done it the day of his sunbed experience.

His skin is starting to turn in to a more tan look now. Tommorrow night is the big dance and I will apply a bronzer/selftanner lotion if he needs it. I think this cured him of the "having to be tanned" look. ;)
Thank you all..continue on. Alot can be learned from you guys discussing this.

I'm with you on the vinegar, but your comment about the oil makes no sense, if he is indeed burnt but not blistered (you didn't mention blisters Jayne - is he?).

His body will not be getting that hot that it will heat the oil to a dangerous or harmful temperature, if his body is that hot Jayne - take him to your nearest ER!

A lukewarm shower followed by slathering on something like Bio Oil (do you have that in the States?) while his skin is still damp will lock much-needed moisture into his skin.

I do hope he gets better before his prom! :hug:

it makes complete sense. think about it, why would you put oil on a burn??? oil is not cooling and body temperature does heat it. you might not think so on normal skin and it does not heat to a dangerous level that his burns will blister, but it certainly won't help with the pain will it? it will heat enough to irritate skin that is already burned. when skin is burnt, it carries on producing more heat than normal skin (you only have to touch sunburn to feel the heat off it) and therefore anything that is likely to heat up, even to the temperature of burnt skin, is a definite no. Therefore you need a cream that cools and contains some kind of gentle antiseptic.

if you got admitted to a hospital with a burn, do you think they would put oil on it?

Hi guys~
Now I have seen and was taught that a sunbed burn is not like a nature sun burn..You will not peel with the suntan beds with 1st degree
but you can blister and get 3rd degree burns. That make sense?

i'm not sure who told you this but this is just complete marketing cr@p. Sunbeds and the sun produce the same UVA and UVB rays and therefore sunburn is exactly the same if you get if off the sun or the sunbed. UVA rays are the ones that age the skin, and UVB rays are the ones that primarily burns the skin. Sunbeds and the sun produce both.

1st degree burn is the redening of the skin, a surface burn. the top layer of the skin gets damaged and the skin can peel a few days later because the top layer dies.

2nd degree burns are when the next layer gets burnt, usually resulting in immediate blistering and peeling.

3rd degree, when the last layers of the skin get burnt. people don't usually get this from the sun or sunbeds as this is the kind that makes you die. maybe if you got trapped in a sunbed for a couple of hours or lost in the desert.

but you can definitely get 1st and 2nd degree burns from a sunbed in exactly the same way as the sun, which will make you peel.

I have peeled after getting burnt on a sunbed and it was just as bad as getting burnt in the sun.
Someone told me to have a really hot shower to "take the burn out" probably the worst advice I ever had.

I burnt on a sunbed recently and had some peeling a few days later. I used Sudocrem straight afterwards which definately helped to soothe and heal. I used Bio Oil on my face to stop it feeling tight and it felt fine.

sorry to hear this, has he filled a record card in with his skin condition on it with the times and dates he uses the sunbed as this should be recorded at all times, even though he hasn't he still can make a claim as he asked for a certain time on the sunbed and didn't and got burnt, but if he had relised that he had gone over the time he stated he should have just got off the sunbed.
As the sunbeds in the shop been retubed sometimes these can burn even though you only ask for 6 mins or so and if so then there should be signs in the shop telling you this
hope he gets better

Latest posts

Back