Super Sonic Sculpting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Nail Geek said:
Hey Jen, good question.

If you were to compare a tip and overlay versus a sculpted enhancement in strength - chances are the sculptured would win. Why? Because the tip is a much weaker polymer designed to simply give you a surface to apply to.
Saying that - during repairs and full sets where forms are used for extending the length of the nail, many times, techs accidentally get seepage under the nail which can easily catch and 'snap' that sculpted area off.

Chances are... this was the case with your situation.

Product adheres perfectly well to existing product so there are no 'seams' of weak areas (unless your finishing is really really bad - but thats an entirely different cup o fish ;)

Hope this helps!
I seem to recall having this same conversation with you and my students when you first started educating, and I'm glad to see you've come around to my way of thinking!:) I'm still wearing sculpted nails, I still ski, white water raft, hike, bike, and play outdoor sports. (very seldom do I break one, unless I'm being a complete dunderhead and jam it into something) I seem to recall that you just didn't like to sculpt I think you said tips are where it's at. (being faster and all....:rolleyes: still luv ya Sam!)

Fab Tutorial Sam-

My mum has very wide, some flat, & some concave nail beds, she is also a nail biter & when grows a little free edge they point to the heavens!! :Scared: :eek: . Couldn't get the forms to fit properly when i had a go before. Would i need to take ALL the free edge away?

Also, if the sculptured tip is just butted up to the natural free edge(with a tiny bit on the nail to create the smile)& then zone 2 is butted up to that- would the end not snap off as there isn't any overlay joining the two zones? (Sorry if i sound dumb. :o )

Please help me... she doesn't like the feel of tips-she's tried them but said they didn't feel very strong!

She's quite heavy handed so i've picked up a Radical tester kit, would appreciate some top tips... if you wouldn't mind.... so i can give her a lovely set of sculpts.(Well try to anyway)

Actually she was Amanda's model for the seminar she did @ NEC in Birmingham in April(think you couldn't do it cos you were having your op). She chose her because she said her nails were perfect for demonstrating custom blending & elongating her nail bed. :|

Ta muchly :hug:
xxxxxx

:cry: Can someone advise me on the best acrylic system to use. I am currently using Millennium products and don't know if its the product or me that's the problem as they tend to break quite quickly. Please advise, many thanks

Thanks for yet another brilliant tutorial!!:)

I have only just learned about sculpting and am dying to give it a go!!

I think there must be so much artistic flair to sculpting and am in awe of all of you that do it!

I hope I can do it - lots and lots of practice I think!!!
xxx

i am currently doing the essential nails home course and i am really enjoying learning nails . i have bought several products over the last few weeks and have tried sculpture. i love it . it is so much easier than tips and blending and it takes me about one and a half to two hours for a full set. but (theres always a but) my sculptures seem to end up wide on the free edge, what am i doing wrong ? this is why the time is so long as i seem to end up filing for a good forty mins as the sculpture doesnt take long. even my smile lines are getting good ( my friends love them) but i know i need more practice and i find the nail trainer useless as the finger tips are so wide. how can i get the lovely streamlined look like in your tutorials before all that filing ? i am using gold square forms and the white looks great just after applying but once the forms come off they end up wide.

lisa xxx

This is a really good tutorial.:)

If you use gel, i take it the same techniques applies!?!
I also have v/flat, hardly any c curve nail plates.
What's the easiest way to apply forms for this type? (Do cut the nail form)
What do you think about the the reusable nail forms?

well i luuuurrve sculpting i really prefer it to tipping the result is so much better but....... i cant do it :irked: i did a set on my sister last night it took me nearly 4 hours :eek: and yes they did look lovely in the end ,but bloomin ek'
how am i gunna get the hang of it.....im gunna try applying my forms differently to how i have been,also i find it really hard to get my mix ratio right on my white!
i end up with a marbled effect ,and my sidewalls mostly end up miles too wide resulting in 45 mins filling ...pleasey weasy help me...coz i really want to be able to do this :cry:
btw i have read all the tutorials,and tonnes more in scratch and pro nails...so i understand the process in theory just cant put it into practice,
when you say you do a thin layer of white first,do you mean the whole of your free edge,to sort of create a base???
thanks guys your all fab :hug:

That would have to be one of the best pictorial and descriptive tutorials i have ever seen ....., i'd love to see one done with no free edge at all or a typical nail we see everyday walk in the door, my personal favs are the old fashioned aluminium forms, merely because they are a bit more solid and hold their shape better,also allowing the slight crease to create invisible sidewall strength, i've even stuck double sided sticky tape down the inside sides to make em stick to the skin , i use different sized dowels for different sized fingers, but maintain a matching c-curve. Creative disposeable forms are brilliant though (more rigid than most) especially if you fit the pop-out bit on the underside, i originally found them by mistake (a sample at a show) and have ordered several lots since. Sculptures seem to be a dying art, nice to see someone pumping some life into it. Many (including me) thank you...

Stunning info.

last year i had tutor at college she was lovely but she did not teach us very well and some of as compland . i did not pass my tests for my overlys and its costs to much to go again what can i do?:confused:

I was being nosey just roaming around, I am so glad I read this, it's awesome. THANKS!!!

Hiya,

Just read the tutorial on sculpted acrylics...brilliant!!! still training, but insured and practising on mates!!! I've done the sculpted and tips, but much prefer the sculted. One thing thou....Yours seemed to look lovely and natural and the free-edges looked perfectly curved and thin! Mine tend to look too thick and not as curved as the natural nails. Do you think it is because the forms are not strong enough, or am i doing something wrong?!Help!!! :rolleyes:

I have never been shown or seen anyone sculpt,but you make it sound so easy,i just have to give it a go !

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this and can't wait to put it into practise. A really refreshing guide!

Had my first ever go at this last night at college, im impressed i loved it and found it quite easy, my tutor says iv found my knish, i was well pleased. I think this might be the way to go.

thank you geek i would always get sepege but no more xxxx

I admit, I absolutely hate sculpts! But this tutorial got me inspired to practice on my practice fingers. I have one question can I sculpt a long free edge? I've noticed that all sculpts I've seen are short to medium. I'm a student so I'm still learning.

Brilliant and educational read thank you x

:cry: All the photos are gone.

Thank SO much Sam! This was a great read.:Love:

Latest posts

Back