Supposedly late for work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonails

Reaction score
My contract says that I have to turn up 30 minutes before my contracted start time to prepare for the day aka have a cup of tea (which I don't do), clean up (the mess that the manager left the previous night when she was messing around with her friends in the salon), check we have everything etc (reasonable). This 30 mins isn't paid by the way. I have to catch two buses, and majority of the time, at least one of them is late. So no matter how hard I try to catch the first bus extra early, either that first bus or the second bus will be late. This means I sometimes get to work 15-20 mins before start. Note that I've NEVER turned up AFTER my contracted start time. My boss yells at me when I'm late aka when I turn up at 9.45 instead of 9.30 when my start time is 10.00 for example.

I also get yelled at when my manager has a client (way before my start time) and that client has decided halfway through her current treatment that she wants another treatment at the same time. So if I turn up 15 mins before my start time, my managers like 'you're late hurry up this client has to be out as soon as possible'......

It's not fair. I'm not getting paid for it. And majority of the time, it's not my fault.

My manager turns up late for her OWN clients.

What should I do (other than look for another job)?

Phone acas.

Disgusting treatment of staff on your bosses part. Exploitative and unprofessional. Definitely worth looking for another job. 5 to 15 minutes fair play but half an hour?! I don't flipping think so!

I think you should ask to speak to her and explain that if she requires you there 30 mins earlier then she will have to pay you.

It's fair enough that your clients start at 10 and you need to be prepared for them but she's being ridiculous.

She has yelled at me in front of clients about it. She's not the kind of person you can speak to about disagreements you have. She requires us to fill in our start time and finish time. This other girl who works there has had to stay an extra hour at least a few nights for the past two weeksbecause my manager books in clients just before the girl is due to finish. I asked the manager why we have to fill in the times we get there and the times we leave because obviously we aren't getting paid for them, and she bluntly said 'Just do it'. I can't risk being fired for speaking up about these things. But previous people who have worked for her, including the receptionist who just recently left have warned me and other workers about things like this.

Simply arrive ten minutes before your shift no earlier. Don't curtail to such ridiculous demands. She needs to pay you! Are you part of a union? If not join one. If she fired you for not working unpaid that's unfair dismissal. As part of a union that's much more Unlikely to happen.
When you say she yells at you does she literally shout? Is she aggressive? That's another issue that needs addressing as its s hostile working environment and again a union can help.

I'm assuming you're employed on a contract earning at least nmw.

I'm afraid that looking for another job is your only option. This woman sounds like a nightmare and nothing is going to change.

Good luck

Vic x

So she's not paying you for the extra time that she is requiring you to work but wants you to write down your start and finish times. <evidence>

Take copies of your time sheets as far back as possible using your phone and contact either acas or citizens advice for further advice.

https://www.gov.uk/pay-and-work-rights

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-targeting-salons.294783/

Ultimately, you need to find a new job and she needs closing down. Shouting at staff is abusive and totally unacceptable.

I agree with what others have said. It's totally inappropriate how she is treating you, and ACAS will be able to give you some good advice. Ultimately though, for your own happiness, I'd be looking for a new job!

Shocking! Agree with others, look for a new job where you're appreciated and treated better.

I did some sums quickly (not in my head lol), based on a 5 day week and presuming 4 weeks holiday a year, that's 240 days of turning up 30 mins early = 7,200 minutes of your time (or 120 hours)

3 WEEKS OF YOUR TIME A YEAR (based on a 40 hr week) THAT YOU'RE NOT BEING PAID FOR!!

I wouldn't need to think about it for long! Xxx

Thank you for your replies. She's not aggressive but the last time it happened she was quite loud in my opinion. And especially being in front of a client at the time, it was embarrassing for me. But like I said, I can't really risk losing my job by going against her. One of the other girls has started making notes of her arriving and leaving times just incase.

Just the fact you feel you can't talk to her about issues is a huge problem, start by getting your clients to add you on fb, that way u can let them know if u move, and it's up to them if they follow, I'd start looking for something else, 2 bus rides must be annoying, especially without being appreciated.

At my old work I would turn up 30 early. Everyone else including the boss would turn up the second they were due to clock on. Even 5 minutes late.

She reminds me of a company I worked for in the Bury area. NIGHTMARE! Get out asap. Look for somewhere else or do mobile or self employed. It's just not worth it being dragged down daily. Hope you find something soon. Good luck.

At my old work I would turn up 30 early. Everyone else including the boss would turn up the second they were d
Wow as an apprentice they gave you keys to the building?

Wow as an apprentice they gave you keys to the building?
I must admit as an apprentice I had keys too!

Latest posts

Back