Swarovski crystals disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
After reading every available thread on Swarovski crystals I felt ready to give it a go.

I did a dummy run with some rhinestones just to be sure before I went for it with the real thing.

What a mess!! I don't quite know how I managed it but there is no shine whatsoever. They look worse than the rhinestones did.

Used my normal Gelish procedure but I think it all went wrong when I applied the top coat. What can I use to keep the crystals shiny and in place? I wanted the bling factor and all I got was cheap looking nails.

Any advise from some Gelish geeks? I'm happy to buy a different brand of soak off gel if it will make a difference to the finish so any Geek advice will be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624365.851488.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624365.851488.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 937
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624528.565002.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624528.565002.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 945
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624547.747875.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363624547.747875.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 820
I think from the sounds of it that you put the top coat over the crystals, best way is to do your top coat, then put each crystal on pushing firmly into the top coat and then cure, if you want to do a bit more top coat then use a dotting took and place it carefully round the crystals and not over.

Hope that helps :)

Also and this is just my thoughts make sure a little away from the cuticle area so there is top coat all the way round those crystals or them may come of easier and be lost

Hiya,

I dont have problems with them loosing there shine but I have major problems with them coming off after only a few days.

I set them in wet to coat, cure and top coat again but my client still ended up loosing some so going to try nail glue next time.

x

I think from the sounds of it that you put the top coat over the crystals, best way is to do your top coat, then put each crystal on pushing firmly into the top coat and then cure, if you want to do a bit more top coat then use a dotting took and place it carefully round the crystals and not over.

Hope that helps :)

Also and this is just my thoughts make sure a little away from the cuticle area so there is top coat all the way round those crystals or them may come of easier and be lost

I will give that a try when I do my toe nails. I've just ordered an ECO Universal Top Coat as recommended by BaggyBear in some other Swaravski threads.

I cannot believe how much bling I don't have! What a waste of money :sad:

Can they be re-used when I soak them off or does the acetone destroy them? x

Hiya,

I dont have problems with them loosing there shine but I have major problems with them coming off after only a few days.

I set them in wet to coat, cure and top coat again but my client still ended up loosing some so going to try nail glue next time.

x

The way I've put my Top Coat on, these crystals ain't going nowhere! :lol:

I will give that a try when I do my toe nails. I've just ordered an ECO Universal Top Coat as recommended by BaggyBear in some other Swaravski threads.

I cannot believe how much bling I don't have! What a waste of money :sad:

Can they be re-used when I soak them off or does the acetone destroy them? x

I use that top coat and its great. Be careful, it's much thinner than others

The reason you have lost shine is the top coat.

Use the Eco Universal Soak Off Top Coat and they will stay shiney AND stay put :wink2: it is VERY runny though so a little goes a long way.

If you really, really wanted to re-use those crystals on yourself you could after soaking them off as they will not be destroyed. I wouldn't bother to be honest, the hassle of trying to save them is not worth the money you would save (& for hygene you would only ever do this for yourself if you were to do it).

Eco top coat is available here:
Small bottle:
ECO UNIVERSAL SOAK OFF UV GEL TOP COAT SEALER HIGH GLOSS SHINE 15ml | eBay
Big bottle:
ECO UNIVERSAL SOAK OFF UV GEL TOP COAT SEALER HIGH GLOSS SHINE 75ml | eBay

Thanks! That's exactly what I ordered. Can't wait for it to arrive now and give it another go. I will update at the end if the week 😊 x

I'm so happy I had a peek at this thread and read about the Eco universal topcoat, this could just be the answer to my prayers!! I've been struggling with the compromise between solid adhesion and loss of sparkle for ages

I use Eco top coat too on toes and its brilliant.

Can this top coat be used over l&p? And has anyone tried it over nail art, does it smudge the design like some do? xx

Can anyone tell me why this works over Swarovski crystals... Is it because its so thin?? :idea:

Hi,

Can you use this top coat over Gelish? would you use it instead of the gelish tio or as well? x

The reason you have lost shine is the top coat.

Use the Eco Universal Soak Off Top Coat and they will stay shiney AND stay put :wink2: it is VERY runny though so a little goes a long way.

If you really, really wanted to re-use those crystals on yourself you could after soaking them off as they will not be destroyed. I wouldn't bother to be honest, the hassle of trying to save them is not worth the money you would save (& for hygene you would only ever do this for yourself if you were to do it).

Eco top coat is available here:
Small bottle:
ECO UNIVERSAL SOAK OFF UV GEL TOP COAT SEALER HIGH GLOSS SHINE 15ml | eBay
Big bottle:
ECO UNIVERSAL SOAK OFF UV GEL TOP COAT SEALER HIGH GLOSS SHINE 75ml | eBay

I use the Eco top coat over gelish, I use the gelish Top it off, place the crystals cure then the Eco top coats to seal and it works fine, I have only done it on my own toes so far and it works a treat. Hoping to do more crystal pedi's over the summer.

Can anyone tell me why this works over Swarovski crystals... Is it because its so thin?? :idea:
I don't know if it is because it is so runny (and it therefore runs down the crystal to the base) or if there is some special ingredient in it. All I know is that you apply it sparingly as it's so runny and it keeps the sparkle of the crystals while holding them in place.

Hi,

Can you use this top coat over Gelish? would you use it instead of the gelish tio or as well? x
Yes you can use it over Gelish and you would use it instead of the TIO.

I don't know if it is because it is so runny (and it therefore runs down the crystal to the base) or if there is some special ingredient in it. All I know is that you apply it sparingly as it's so runny and it keeps the sparkle of the crystals while holding them in place.

Great thanks xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Thanks Baggybear x

So, the Eco Top Coat arrived today. They are a fraction sparklier but nowhere near true bling.

As I'm putting them on they seem to lose their bling. I used an orange wood stick to pick the crystals up.

They look like diamonds in the bag and as I put them on they turn to stone 😢

It can't be a problem with the top coat as they look the same before I apply it. 😥😥😥😥😥

I've ordered a Gel bond in the hope that will work.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363892867.324475.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363892867.324475.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 350
So, the Eco Top Coat arrived today. They are a fraction sparklier but nowhere near true bling.

As I'm putting them on they seem to lose their bling. I used an orange wood stick to pick the crystals up.

They look like diamonds in the bag and as I put them on they turn to stone 😢

It can't be a problem with the top coat as they look the same before I apply it. 😥😥😥😥😥

I've ordered a Gel bond in the hope that will work.

When you pick them up with an orange wood stick is there some top coat on the stick? This dulls them slightly in my experience

When you pick them up with an orange wood stick is there some top coat on the stick? This dulls them slightly in my experience

Yes, I thought that's what was happening. So one hand I picked up with my Shellac Top coat and the 2nd hand I picked up with the Eco Top Coat.

The Eco Top Coat hand is MUCH shinier but still not bling. Does anyone have any photo's they could post. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Better still, is there a Geek in Kent that I could go to and have the Swarovski toes done (I'd pay full rate) and see how it's done? x

Latest posts

Back