Sweep or stripe your French?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
just wondering if most if you geeks use the sweeping motion when doing French? i can't get the hang if it but know it will be better to persevere as it takes sooo much longer to do in little stripes downwards.

also which shellac col do yous prefer to use?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

They way i do a French varies from client to client, I sweep with clients who have a good length and don't on shorter nails.
I use both Cream Puff and Studio White again this is depending on my clients preference.
If they are looking for a more natural looking French then I use Studio White it gives a beautiful natural look.

thanks klassy...

do you use negligee for pink? i also have moonlight and roses, you think tears ok to use as well?

one last question.... do you do one coat pink then one or two coat white?

I was watching fingernailfixer French video the other day on short French and she did little strips from the free edge up a bit then a little tidy and it works brilliantly (of course :)
Hope I've described it clearly
Vicki xx

yup.. seen that one too i think, she makes it look sooo easy doesn't she!?

What do you use if you want to see the natural nail...the reason I ask is I've just completed the mani/pedi section with CND and a mum from school is eagerly awaiting my Shellac training (I'm doing that in 3 weeks time), so I've advised getting her in once a week for a mini mani including moisture pack, then use toughen up base coat and super shiney topcoat. She has flexible nails and small splits are happening on the edges of the nail plate.

Also, I have advised Solar oil...so will let her have a small one (she currently uses a cuticle oil). I know Shellac will give her the look and protection she needs and I want to keep her as a client so I need to sound professional with her.

So there you have it....what do you do with Shellac to keep natural ?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nic....it just got me to thinking about her :D xx

As Klassy Klaws has said I find it differs with each client depending on length - so for instance with bitten nails I took a tip from Fingernail Fixer and paint backwards - the video for that is great.
But generally I always sweep from the edges first and then join in the middle to get a nice curve. So I sweep upwards from the left edge and then the right - but don't join them, and then sweep across to join the edges - for me this helps me achieve a nice curve. I find it easier to do in 3 stages like this than trying to achieve it in one stroke - I can do it but my results are inconsistent and I often have to touch it up :)

The main pink I use is Beau it is a good all round pink which suits most everyone's skin tone, I find Negligee can be a bit cool due to the blue undertone so doesn't suit everyone.
I do use M & R to esspecially with brides.

With the regards to 1 or 2 layers of pink this depends on my client preference.
The amount of layers of white are depending on how good I have applied the first layer, if it looks patchy or streaky then yes I apply another thin layer but if I'm happy with the first coat then no I wouldn't ally another layer.

i tend to use Studio White and Beau.
And I'm a sweeper.
I make sure I've got most of the Studio White at the bottom end of the brush so there's enough to cover half the nail in one stroke, then go back to the bottle and do the same on the other half

Thanks guys, very helpful as always :)

Agree with KK on all her points. The studio white with Negligee is lovely for those who don't want an obvious French Manicure. I have a client that has this combination every 2 weeks, she loves it, it makes her nails look very natural and exactly like her own just much cleaner iyswim?

I use Negligee mainly as I don't have Beau yet but ordering that in this month. I also used M&R on a Mother of The Bride a few weeks ago and it was lovely but very pinky/peachy so not for those who want a really natural look.

And in terms of application, I always swipe, I personally find that much easier. I obviously try not to get it on the skin but it has never worried me if I do, it's easily cleaned up and I'm more bothered about getting the perfect finish than having some cleaning up to do. But I have a very steady hand, I think Holly's method of working down the nail is great for those who maybe struggle to steady their hand.

HTH's

ETA - Don't be worried about moving your clients fingers where you need them either, otherwise French application is even harder. I sweep my brush and twist the clients finger to the side at the same time if that makes sense?

i sweep for most but have used the other method on shorter nails, i think it just depends on the clients nails and how steady your hand is that day! also the more you do the more you find a way that is comfortable for you. I have been doing nothing else but french the last few weeks i think i could do with my eyes closed lol

Moonlight and roses is lovely for french but im looking at getting beau or clearly pink for those that don't want a shimmery look!

Here is the answer to all your questions. and shows where we have been going wrong.....

4 Ways To Do a French Tip - YouTube

Bless she does say she was in a rush, might have been better waiting for when she had more time

Here is the answer to all your questions. and shows where we have been going wrong.....

4 Ways To Do a French Tip - YouTube

Bless she does say she was in a rush, might have been better waiting for when she had more time

Good grief!!! The moral of that story - ALWAYS wait till u have more time! Lpl ;-)

That's it love, just slap it on :eek:

Obviously a professional....Not! :o

Personally for me it depends on the clients nail length etc..
I generally sweep but on very short small, vertical strokes..

Much easier now that I hold the finger better and gently manoeuvring the skin at side walls. Don't be afraid to get in there. xx:D

Thats my video, im not that great as you can see;) x

Latest posts

Back