Swine Flu

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
With all this talk in the news lately about Swine Flu and how potentially deadly it seemingly is - I find myself nervous and a little apprehensive about having clients come to my home. Needless to say I'm not about to shut down my business over it (as there is no confirmed cases in Quebec yet), but it does concern me because of how easily transmitted this disease is and working out of my house I'm potentially subjecting my entire family to this disease. Does anyone else find themselves concerned about this or are my fears completely irrational at this point?

I think you're over-reacting a little, yes it's important to be hygenic, but no more so than usual.

Swine Flu is not an instant death sentence, yes some people die of it, but lets face it some people die from everyday ordinary flu. The elderly and those with low immune systems have always been more at risk, hence the need for a flu jab for the elderly and those affected.

It's passed around in the same way as ordinary flu, and that's by people not following proper hygiene, ie. cough or sneeze into a tissue and throw it away, and wash your hands. Those affected should go to bed and ride it out, not go to work/school/shops/etc and risk infecting others.

Anti-viral medication is available but it doesn't cure it, it helps minimise the symptoms and is only effective if given in the first 2 days.

If I've got the details wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Am I worried, of course, but no more so than if people in my social circle had regular flu.

Here is a link to the advice given by the Government regarding Swine Flu (fortunately it backs up everything I said, so I'm not far off the mark)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_177814

Last edited:
I'm not concerned at all and there are two suspected cases in Michigan. I practice safe standards and am anal about sanitation. :)

I love the way clients are polite .... cough into their hands, then kindly pass their hand back to me.

We are also in an immediate breathing zone.

We should all take care (more than usual).

I think you're over-reacting a little

Your probably right. Normally I just pass off stuff like this (like the SARS issue we had a few years back) - but I don't know - I just have a REALLY bad feeling about this one.

I mean let's face it, I live in the boonies and very few people around here actually travel, and there is no cases anywhere near me yet... lol... I guess I am being completely irrational.

Like Deanosnana I am also very anal about sanitation - I'm forever cleaning and disinfecting myself, my kids, my house, and needless to say my work area. I just... like I said, I got a BAD feeling about this flu.

I've just been told that there has been a newly confirmed case just up the road from my town. When it gets close it makes you think a it more about it for sure.

But yes, as far as the salon is concerned just be additionally aware of sanitation. To be honest I would be more worried about my kids and their seeming inability to wash their hands.:rolleyes::lol:

I must admit i am more worried about this one than the previous SARS but in my case i think its because i am a fairy new mother (been in the job nearly three years!!)

I will be asking new clients if they have recently travelled from infected areas and existing clients i will know of holidays etc but must admit i would not take a booking if they had unless they had been back at least a week and not been ill.

I may well be acting unecersarily and this could just be media propaganda BUT i am taking no chances. The next few weeks will be critical in terms of knowing if we are facing the worst but i am taking steps to protect my family. They have to come first, i would rather my business suffer.

I must admit i am more worried about this one than the previous SARS but in my case i think its because i am a fairy new mother (been in the job nearly three years!!)

I may well be acting unecersarily and this could just be media propaganda BUT i am taking no chances. The next few weeks will be critical in terms of knowing if we are facing the worst but i am taking steps to protect my family. They have to come first, i would rather my business suffer.

Agreed!! My 2 boys are 6 years old and 10 months old.. so needless to say I'm concerned for their health and safety. So far there is somewhere over 2,000 suspected cases worldwide according to the CDC. Doesnt seem like a lot in a world of 6.77 billion people... but the CDC is saying that Swine flu is transmitting a lot easier and faster than the normal flu - so what is 2000 people this week can turn into 2 million by next week (again.. I'm completely over reacting lol). Either way - its still scary even if the death rate is only 10%

I wouldn't say 'over-reacting' to be honest.
After all, regular flu and colds are passed so easily on a regular basis (I've lost count how many colds clients have BROUGHT to me and my family).

I just heard not 5min ago, that 2 more levels, and we have reached pandemic proportions.

Due to circumstances, I would simply let clients know that if they've the flu or cold symptoms, to kindly reschedule until they're well.
I explain that I can't treat clients if I'm ill, and if my children have the flu, I have to cancel then too. Unfair to the rest if one brings her germs and causes me to be unavailable to the rest. Of course, I say it all with a touch of humour.
MOST of my clients are considerate enough that they cancel on their own. I only have one that shows up here, sick as a dog.
When that happens, I put on a mask and joke about it. Use sanitizers and disinfectant LIBERALLY.

There are concerns, but not sufficient to close your doors hun. Just stay aware and cautious. You have a young baby... I'd be spooked too.
No harm in playing safe, rather than being sorry that you hadn't.

:hug:

Either way - its still scary even if the death rate is only 10%

Personally, I feel that 10% is very high AND very scary on it's own.
Think about it: if 10 of your family members caught it, it's likely that one would die.
That's SCARY when I think of all the times we have passed colds to one another, in my family...

Personally, I feel that 10% is very high AND very scary on it's own.
Think about it: if 10 of your family members caught it, it's likely that one would die.
That's SCARY when I think of all the times we have passed colds to one another, in my family...

Very true given that the mortality rate for regular influenza is only 0.1% (according to medicinenet.com)

I've just been told that there has been a newly confirmed case just up the road from my town. When it gets close it makes you think a it more about it

The salon owners daughters school has been closed due to a confirmed case, they live in Devon too.....

keep up to date with the truth of what's going on, the papers love to exaggerate
WHO | Swine influenza - update 4

Yes, and no.
I see your point BUT government also has the tendency to downplay things so that they look 'competent' and to leave out information, to prevent panic.
So, I'm never overly inclined to trust one or the other.
I see no harm in playing it safe.

My clients know that in general, I prefer not to provide service when they are ill. It's a courtesy to myself and family, and to other clients if they keep their germs to themselves and don't infect me.

I had a look at natural remedies for flu and natural anti virals.Im going to start taking echinacia and a pro biotic in some form.
With this type of flu its not the very young and very old that succumb the worst its the ones between 24 and 45 its something to do with the immune system attacking harder than it can in the young and old.
To be honest it really makes me cross when clients turn up with obviously really bad colds and possible flu symptoms and i have turned people away.
Last year when my dad contracted a cold because he had late stage cancer he got pneumonia and nearly died fortunately he recovered from it and it wasnt me that gave it to him ,but as a main carer of his at that time i felt i had the right to say to clients i cant do you as i cant risk getting your germs ..thankyou very much.

The salon owners daughters school has been closed due to a confirmed case, they live in Devon too.....

Salon owner??? Blimey! I only knew about this because a client told me this morning, I hadn't actually heard/read about it myself. So is the girl who has it the daughter of a salon owner?

Well, Im scared because I am due to go to Mexico for my holidays in a couple of months! I know thats a way off, but as we know, flu can hang around for ages. Travel company are not letting me cancel yet as they say my holiday is too far off! I dont want to go!

my personal opinion of this is that the media are making it out to be alot more worse than what it is....as in the risks...not the fact that its verging on being pandemic.
No one has died outside of mexico from what i have read......and you have to remember that alot of mexico lives in bad poverty of which could not afford the healthcare that the likes of those living in the Uk/US. 1000 people died of what we would probably say normal flu last year in the UK.......without so much of a mention in the papers.
FLU...if you really have it is not nice and i would have thought that the last thing anyone who really did have it would want is there nails being done, lol!...that said some people still shock me :)
That said if you truely do have concerns that bother you then i think what victoria suggested about resheduling their appointments is the best way to go.

What happened to Bird Flu??? Is this going to be the same.....

Latest posts

Back