Taking babies/young children abroad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sineadmc

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

Hope you don't mind me posting considering I'm still quite new but really wanted to talk this out. A 'friend' I've met through an online baby group really upset me today and I think it's probably because I'm so hormonal still.

I've booked a holiday for us in July to Boa Vista (Cape Verde Island) & it's a 6 hour flight. I will be taking my son (4 years) and daughter (10 months) those ages are at the time of flying. My friend looked really shocked and started talking about how she could never do that to her kids it's not a holiday and not fair on them . She didn't think I 'was like that' It actually really hurt me and wish she had kept her mouth shut. My son has been on holiday every year since he was born and loved every minute of every holiday. I always put the kids first and hate to be made to feel like a rubbish parent. When we've been away before we always go by my son's lead so when he gets too hot we go inside and watch tv/play with toys etc.

Am I right to be upset or am I being hormonal? please tell me if I'm overreacting? xx

She's probably jealous and can't afford it, tell her to mind her own business and look forward to your holiday,
It would have annoyed me too but I would get great pleasure in showing off my holiday snaps with 2 very happy kids

As above its jealousy! I don't see what is unfair on the children? Parents off work? a pool? Mmm hardly child cruelty!

Xx

Ah just ignore her lovey. They are your kiddies and you know them. Pity she couldn't say "you lucky thing have a lovely holiday". Pay no mind. I plan on taking my 1 year old and ten year old (their ages next year) camping... jeez she would have a field day with that one- gets a bit chilly in old Blighty lol!

You go and enjoy your time away as MM29 says I'm sure it's jealousy! Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lots of people don't think that taking a small child/children on holiday is classed as a holiday...too traumatic, not relaxing, they don't know where they are as they are so tiny etc etc. I know quite a few people that over the years with small children haven't gone for one reason or another. Each to their own. I avoid half term breaks and school summer holidays like the plague!..If you want to go on holiday, then go! :biggrin: I don't believe it is always down to jealousy just different ideas and opinions.

My colleague has just gone to mexico for her mils wedding with her 10/12 week old baby!
Each to their own I guess, I dont think its bad. Id just prefer to leave them at home lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Is it the holiday part or the travle she's talking about?

Personally I think it sounds like jealousy , some people don't have the drive , or the means to do things differently , some find holidays more work than being home lol ,

My kids have been ALL OVER , my youngest is 7 now his first passport when he was 6 weeks old he had to lay on a white sheet for the photo lol

My hubby is in the US airforce ,but was stationed in few places in Europe till recently now we r in the us , my family is in England and Scottish so traveling is just part of life.

Kids are fine with it , it really is more up in the air for the adults than the little ones .
As us adults are so materialistic and sometimes territorial of our routines , possessions and homes lol People forget That travel is in our blood!

The whole Human race has always on the move through history , especially Europeans .

Hi geeks :)

Hope you don't mind me posting considering I'm still quite new but really wanted to talk this out. A 'friend' I've met through an online baby group really upset me today and I think it's probably because I'm so hormonal still.

I've booked a holiday for us in July to Boa Vista (Cape Verde Island) & it's a 6 hour flight. I will be taking my son (4 years) and daughter (10 months) those ages are at the time of flying. My friend looked really shocked and started talking about how she could never do that to her kids it's not a holiday and not fair on them . She didn't think I 'was like that' It actually really hurt me and wish she had kept her mouth shut. My son has been on holiday every year since he was born and loved every minute of every holiday. I always put the kids first and hate to be made to feel like a rubbish parent. When we've been away before we always go by my son's lead so when he gets too hot we go inside and watch tv/play with toys etc.

Am I right to be upset or am I being hormonal? please tell me if I'm overreacting? xx

You are overreacting. You're not a rubbish parent. You're a good parent by taking your children with you and wanting to spend time with them and enjoy family holidays together. My children have always come on holiday with us from a very young age. I couldn't imagine going without them. It's a life experience for them.

I don't know what your friends reasons are for telling you that's its not fair on the children, I think it would be more unfair if you left them behind. It's either jealousy or ignorance.

Since I became a mother, I have to admit that I've given up taking some peoples opinions on board. A friend asked me a few days ago if I 'don't get board going to Jamaica'. I'm not offended by this comment - in turn I asked her how I could be board of a holiday? That shut her up! My 2 year old has done 5 long haul trips and has been fine. I've had friends like yours and we didn't last too long.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I took my son on holiday when he was 9 weeks old, we loved it. He was covered in sun protection, kept in the shade almost at all times and he was very content. I think at 10 month your baby will love it x

Thanks everyone :) I could never leave them behind. I've never once spent a night away from my kids because I do miss them too much. If I was away without them I would always be thinking "oh H would love this and K would love that" or looking at other kids and wishing I was with mine.

It was the taking them in the heat she was talking about. Said it wasn't fair and they wouldn't enjoy it. My son has always loved our holidays and I like how well travelled he is and the fact that he is having new experiences. He will be 4 in June and still talks about his holiday in July 2012 as being his favourite. He had just turned 2 and we went to Menorca for a week. I should probably do what somebody has already mentioned and not listen to others opinions! xx

What's the point in having kids if you don't want to spend time with them? She sounds jealous. Take loads of photos and shove them under her nose while looking all tanned! That's what I would do 😉

I'm 20 and have been going on holiday since I was 9 months old. Never done me any harm and I have lots and lots of lovely memories of holidays! They will enjoy it and your not a bad mum for taking them on holiday, they are very lucky kids xxx

Make sure you take lots of things to do on the flight and snacks! We flew last year to Cape Verde, on the way back they ran out of snacks and most drinks and they don't have tvs on board, a bit off topic sorry but I could pass by without mentioning it!! But Cape Verde is gorgeous you will love it! X

I have a 16 month old daughter and it's not something I'd want to do, it seems far too stressful for my liking. But... I would never tell anyone else what they should/shouldn't do, or pass judgement on what's right for their family. This person is probably just jealous! Enjoy your holiday!

Make sure you take lots of things to do on the flight and snacks! We flew last year to Cape Verde, on the way back they ran out of snacks and most drinks and they don't have tvs on board, a bit off topic sorry but I could pass by without mentioning it!! But Cape Verde is gorgeous you will love it! X

I had heard there was no in flight entertainment so we will have to just go with the flow ! Thanks for the heads up I'm so excited xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on holiday every year since my children were 9months and 21months they've both loved it every time if they get hot we go inside or in the shade.
My mum n dad live in Spain so we go to see them.
I have friends that have gone on holidays without there young children with sounds nice but I just couldn't be in a different country to my children.
I suppose everyone had there own ideas on parenting don't let it upset you just ignore her and do what you think is best for your children x

I have friends that have gone on holidays without there young children with sounds nice but I just couldn't be in a different country to my children.

No really you should try it. .. it's quite easy after the first five minutes. ...! ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds shoddy!
What airline was this? Remind me never to fly with them!

No really you should try it. .. it's quite easy after the first five minutes. ...! ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You remind me of my friend's neighbours. They fly off every Boxing Day to some ski resort somewhere and come back after New Year leaving their young children at home in the care of a childminder. :eek:

Latest posts

Back