Taking card payments, bank or PayPal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanVenus

Reaction score
I've been mobile for years, clients have always paid in mostly cash (very occasionally through paypal/bank transfer), never felt the need for a separate business bank account but I'm changing to a static location (Garden Room) and want to switch to mainly accepting card payments due to Covid-19.

So my choice is to open a Business banking account and purchase an independent card reader or switch my Paypal account to a business account and get the PayPal card reader.

Is the support better from a bank account? Is it easier to obtain credit for large purchases? Or is there not that much of a difference?

I've had a a PayPal Here reader and PayPal business account for a couple of years, no problems or issues.

I have a Starling Business Bank account, again no issues, but someone on here recently said they'd heard bad reviews.

I don't think you need a business bank account to withdraw your funds from paypal to, any account will do. I choose to have a business account just for simplicity, but it wasn't a requirement.

Thanks. Can you print off statements from your Paypal account for doing your books/taxes? I've already checked that most of the wholesalers I use can take online orders via paypal. I think Paypal would be less pressure? I feel banks are always trying to sell you something :confused:

Thanks. Can you print off statements from your Paypal account for doing your books/taxes? I've already checked that most of the wholesalers I use can take online orders via paypal. I think Paypal would be less pressure? I feel banks are always trying to sell you something :confused:

I use my Starling business bank account debit card for purchases, the PayPal account is not a bank account, it just the clearing house for card payments. Yes you can get transaction history reports. Daily, weekly, monthl, yearly, ad hoc.

100000% recommend Starling Bank.

I personally never trust PayPal as a merchant. Too easy for people to chargeback, unfortunately.
Square is a good option for a card reader.

100000% recommend Starling Bank.

I personally never trust PayPal as a merchant. Too easy for people to chargeback, unfortunately.
Square is a good option for a card reader.
Interesting, I didn't know that about PayPal. I've never heard of Starling Bank before and with both of you mentioning it I just had a look - amazing that their business account is free, but I'm so fussy with my banking - I like everything to be in one place so I've got more thinking to do!

Thank you for your help.

I've used paypal for 10 years (online payments through my online booking system) and sandandar for my main bank ac where my card payments go (handepay). Santandar are the best and easies I've used (used 3 different banks) it's free for 12 months I think then £12.50 but I'm going to look into starling now.

Latest posts

Back