Taking Care of Your Customers... How Far Do YOU Go??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
To me this is a very IMPORTANT subject. I have longed to be able to 'do things' for customers that I think will either help them, make them feel special or empower them in a business sense (like the Sweet Treat scenario or the BOGOF deals)!

Today I heard the following story (not nail related)...

Family go to local Wacky Warehouse style pub for a light lunch. Girl asks for Jacket Potatoe with BBQ Chicken and Cheese.
'Waitress says 'sorry we don;t do that at the weekend' :rolleyes:
Girls says 'Oh, well I guess I'll just have a JP with cheese then please'. Waitress says 'sorry, but you can't have a JP'.
Girl says 'but a JP is a side order, why not'...
Waitress says 'well OK, but you can't have it with cheese, just butter':eek: (THIS IS TRUE...)
Girls says, 'well my b/f has ordered the cheese burger but doesn't want the cheese so you can put that cheese on my JP can't you'
Waitress says she'll ask the chef but she's not sure he will!
I mean have you ever heard anything quite so ridiculous in your whole life???

Do you see where I am going here. This waitress (if she had an ounce of people skills in her) could have said, 'listen, it's not on the menu but I would be more than happy to get the chef to do that for you. I may have to charge you a £1.00 extra for the cheese though... would that be alright with you?'.... Now what do you think 'girl' would have said?? Brilliant, thank you for helping... and maybe 'waitree' would have got a tip too!

But no, instead, we have 'Girl' seriously naffed off for the rest of the day.:irked:

I don't like using the words NO / UNFORTUNATELY etc if I can help it. To me our customers are our life-line just like your nail clients are your life-line and I suppose just like we are CND's life-line.

I just think in this day and age, you should go above and beyond EVERY time, for your customers (and yes :lol: I can tell when someone is trying to take the mick too :smack: so I understand the cut off), but what do you guys think about this?

It seems to me, that we Brits allow ourselves to be treated pretty poorly and what's more we go back for more. After THG fiasco... it has become my Raison d'etre!! (Gabi I hope I spelled that correctly)!!! :!: All comments warmly received! :hug:

how funny the waitress must have got out of bed the wrong way, i look after my clients the best i can and give them respect and get it in return.
tracy x x :)

As business people I believe we could use this theory to our advantage. I dont believe that it is a case of deceiving the customer but a case of making the customer feel that you are doing something for them that is not the norm.

Let me use an example: A client has come to me for a luxury facial treatment that costs say £49 and during the treatment mentions that here eyebrows have gone a little unruly. So I quite often in situations like the suggest that I shape there eyebrows for them with my compliments while they are here having their facial treatment. So what has this additional treatment cost me - 5 extra minutes of time and if I only use tweezers it has cost me no extra in products. This client feels that I have gone out of my way for her and alot of the time I have gained additional treatments that this same client has booked in for.

Make each client feel like you are providing a unique service for them and the client will reward you three fold.

Now that is clever business if you ask me.

I can only think from the amount of lovely texts and emails that I get from my waxees that I must be doing something right. It's in my nature to go that extra mile......I'm not a taker, I'm a giver. I also believe that you reap what you sow. For example, I have a guy come to me for Intimate waxing who has a tattoo of his wife the length of his thigh. I say, 'Let me wax that for you.......no charge'. He was thrilled at how new it looked again with the hair on it. He not only gives me a great tip, but he now brings his wife along (his real wife, not the tattoo LOL) for all her waxing. It takes them 1.5hrs to get to me and I know that it's because they always get such a warm welcome from me and have a laugh in the bargain.

Look after your clients and they'll look after you. If they don't recipricate, then let them go. xxx

My theory in life and in business is always treat people as you yourself would like to be treated.

I had an instance last week, I had a new client, who wanted black gel nail extensions with nail art on every finger. She came to the salon last Saturday, went through her consultation, she works in a warehouse, has never had enhancements before and also was a nail biter. Explained it will take time to get used to etc, may experience breakage due to job etc.

I went into hospital for an operation on Tuesday, had a phone call from this lady Thursday to say she had broken one. I did book her in at home last night but had already arranged cover if I could not repair it as still feeling pretty yuk. I did the repair.

She went away very happy as did I. I just could not have left it and said come back next week. One way or another either I had to do it or I would have paid another tech to repair it for her. But thats just me, as to any more breakages, I would charge.

I think I treat my clients well. I put myself out for them, I work out of hours (not that I have set hours lol!).
But I make sure that if there are any problems or queries then I try my best to sort them out. Try my best to make everyone as comfortable as possible!

I have 1 very large lady as a client, she finds it very hard to walk any sort of distance, she cannot put her feet up onto my pedi stool, so I go on bended knees to do her pedi for her, same with Gel toes, It hurts my back for a while, but shes a damn good customer.

Its also like my client I had the other morning, she made an appointment at 8am, as she had an event on all day and wouldnt be able to do any other time, plus she wanted her nails doing for then!

I also have about 10 clients popping in on the hop for an arm and hand massage, with solar butter & oil! They dont want to buy the products from me, they like the massage.

It seems to me that these days alot of peeps tie themselves down to exactly what is on their price list, be it in a pub or a salon, or wherever, nobody seems to want to be accomodating. It also seems that customer care has totally gone out of the window in alot of establishments.
Thats my thoughts on it anyway!
xxxxx:hug:

I like to do what I can to accommodate my clients and am happy to go that extra mile for them. I find that it is usually appreciated and your clients stay even more loyal to you. It gives me satisfaction if I can help my clients. It also gives me the advantage over other salons which may be more complacent towards their customers.

Family go to local Wacky Warehouse style pub for a light lunch.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand up for the waitress in this scenario!!!

If you go to a themed restaurant or a chain of anything, they have such vigorous rules that they cannot deviate at all off the menu.
I heard that Little chef weigh their food and staff are severely told off if they go over.

So, if you go to a chain of places, their rules will be very tight! Thats why you go to that chain, because you know you will get exactly the same treatment, food, layout etc as you would if you went in it in Nottingham or Edinburgh.

the reason why WE work so well is that the majority of us are self-employed and are at liberty to think out of the box! We don't live by anyone elses rules or standards, we make our own.

Hopefully, clients recognise that, and if they do? You usually get total loyalty.

So, what do I do out of the norm for clients? I mix and match, I volunteer to change appointments to suit, I sit in a treatment room from 9.30am - 3pm even if I've only got 1 appointment in. I have ordered products for clients. I relish deviating off the menu and given a bespoke service. I give them regular incentives to return. I give them me!

I have an example of good customer service...

I ring to order some thing i need from a distributor....the size i want is sold out....it happens, but I'm still abit miffed cos i need it...they check and tell me the smaller size is in stock and would i like 2 of those instead....well i would but it works out more expensive to do that ....no problem we we will give you the second one at half price.

How Sweet is that !!

I have the same great service with my other distributor on many occasions, sending 2 of a small for the price of 1 large....(Thanks Karen)

I think its great and makes you feel like you are a wanted customer and not just a sale.

I rang another place to order a brush....more than happy to pay the postage ect...."no we only do orders for over £40".....made me feel like they didn't want my measly £15....but also like i didn't want there measly brush !!!

I rang another place to order a brush....more than happy to pay the postage ect...."no we only do orders for over £40".....made me feel like they didn't want my measly £15....but also like i didn't want there measly brush !!!

Now I wonder who that company was :rolleyes: Hhhmmm?

As far as how far do I go......well i like to think i go as far as i can without appearing a push over.

I expect great customer service so i make sure i give it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand up for the waitress in this scenario!!!

If you go to a themed restaurant or a chain of anything, they have such vigorous rules that they cannot deviate at all off the menu.
I heard that Little chef weigh their food and staff are severely told off if they go over.

So, if you go to a chain of places, their rules will be very tight! Thats why you go to that chain, because you know you will get exactly the same treatment, food, layout etc as you would if you went in it in Nottingham or Edinburgh.

Understood... but I guess my point is... there is a way of saying or doing something. Had I been THAT waitress I would have gone to a manger and asked if we could do 'the cheese'... if he / she had said NO to something so measly... then I would have wanted the manager to say something because my totally 'customer care' instinct tells me this type of behaviour and customer care is wrong!

Loving the comments though... looks like you all go above and beyond with your own customers! :!:

My philosophy has always been to treat and care for other people as you would wish to be treated and cared for yourself.

Agreed, this philosophy doesn't always work but I strive (within reason of course) to give client satisfaction to all of my ladies.

The fact that they keep returning does assure me that I must be doing something right!

My philosophy has always been to treat and care for other people as you would wish to be treated and cared for yourself.

Agreed, this philosophy doesn't always work but I strive (within reason of course) to give client satisfaction to all of my ladies.

The fact that they keep returning does assure me that I must be doing something right!

Imagine what the world would be like as a whole, if everyone lived by that philosophy alone 'Treat others as you would like to be treated'... a better place that's for sure! :eek:

I think its lovely when clients say "thank you Angie they look lovely".....i always reply...."thank you, it was lovely to see you again"...........would be easy to just say, "no probs, see you in 3 weeks"...but i think its important to Thank our clients back.

I have to say that the number of times I have gone to a pub (not that I'm an alkie or anything lol) and asked for a sandwich to be told oh sorry we stopped serving food half an hour ago. I know there's all the H&S stuff these days, but does it really take much to slap a bit of ham between 2 slices of bread?

I always try and give the best service I can, but I do also know that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

i wonder if the person went to a pub round here !! we went to a pub very close by one valentines night and becuase all the meals were meat and i am a veggie , i wanted a jp & salad (side dishes shock horror) and dave wanted a steak meal and were told ........ dave could sit at a table in the resteraunt and i would have to sit in the bar:eek::lol::lol:
needless to say we told em where to shove it and we have never been there again :lol:

i wonder if the person went to a pub round here !! we went to a pub very close by one valentines night and becuase all the meals were meat and i am a veggie , i wanted a jp & salad (side dishes shock horror) and dave wanted a steak meal and were told ........ dave could sit at a table in the resteraunt and i would have to sit in the bar:eek::lol::lol:
needless to say we told em where to shove it and we have never been there again :lol:

OMG are you serious... it is actually SOOO bad, it's hysterical. Can you actually imagine the people making the decisions....
short, pot-bellied men with no 'units' who never even eat in the places they 'so-call' run!!! :smack: :smack:

But,again, it is because you go to a chain that you get these rules set. The poor waitress would have to run past the manager and the chef to get that slice of cheese OK'ed.

In reply to Bagpuss:
I had a client in for 2 hours the other day, which turned out to be a bit of a counselling session as her dad had recently died (thank god i did that 15 week counselling course). At the end of it she said thank you very much, and I replied, "well thank you very much, I really enjoyed doing your xxx treatment today". It was meant from the heart (you don't get that in a chain).

In reply to Sassy hassy:
you is an alchie!!!

Whenever I hear someone talk about "I can't do that because it's not in the rules" scenario, I always think of the film Falling Down with Michael Douglas!

the world is full of jobsworths and it irritates the life out of me!

When you are starting out as an employee shortly after completing your education, you will work as instructed by the person managing you. As your career progresses, then sometimes you will use your initiative and think out of the box.

The unfortunate thing is that many a company will not allow you that freedom of thought and have managers who work exactly to the book!

This creates bad feeling and not only does it alienate the customers but also the employees who eventually leave in the main - UNLESS they are jobsworths as well.

Luckily, I think that people who are self employed and have no staff or one or two, generally are very customer orientated and ALWAYS go that extra mile!

I don't have many clients (because I choose it to be like that - too much other activity going on in my life) but those that I do have, have been clients since I started and have been very loyal - when asked why they come back to me they say things like

"We don't feel like we are on a conveyor belt"

"You listen to us - both in what we want you to do and our moan and groans"

"You use the products yourself that you use on us"

"We don't feel as though we are a pain in the bottom when we are with you"

These are only little things in my mind - but obviously huge things in theirs :hug:

It doesn't take much to be nice and helpful but the rewards are huge!

Latest posts

Back