Taking deposits?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msophie

Reaction score
So I take a £20 deposit on appointments over £30. This being either a full set of lashes or multiple treatments in one booking. If cancelled within 24 hours it is non-refundable. If it is cancelled prior to the 24 hours, I either refund it or allow the client to carry it over as a deposit for a re-book. On the rare occasion an appointment is over £100 (group bookings or multiple treatments in one appt) I ask for 50% deposit. None of my clients have ever had an issue with this.

I had a lady wanting a full set of lash extensions, gel polish manicure & shape and gel polish on toes. I'm looking at £105 and 3 hours of my time. I said I would need to do a patch test for lashes at least 48 hours beforehand, and would require 50% deposit to book her appointment. She questioned why I wanted a deposit because in her own words "therapists don't take deposits. I'm a therapist and I dont take depsoits, no one does" I explained that I am mobile, self-employed, and if i were to book her in without a deposit and she cancelled last minute, that's an appointment someone else could have had. Because of this, she didn't book in.

Any salon/mobile person I've been to, I've paid a deposit. I've spoken to a couple of friends who have been in the industry a while now, and they've all said its standard to take a deposit and my policy regarding deposits seems fair enough. I was just wondering what other people's deposit policy is and if you think there is anything I could improve in my deposit policy!

I completely get where you’re coming from, many times I have considered doing this as ‘no shows’ are a financial drain....
However, as I work alone, my concern would be what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot - what if I had to change/cancel an appointment last minute due to a problem or illness ..... could they then insist I compensate them for the fact they had took a day off work/ paid a child minder/loss of earnings.....

As it's your own business, it's your decision what terms & conditions you set.
You've informed the client of the terms which she didn't want to accept.
If this system works for you then stick to it.

The fact that she wouldn't put down a deposit sets bells ringing in my opinion!!!!

I completely get where you’re coming from, many times I have considered doing this as ‘no shows’ are a financial drain....
However, as I work alone, my concern would be what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot - what if I had to change/cancel an appointment last minute due to a problem or illness ..... could they then insist I compensate them for the fact they had took a day off work/ paid a child minder/loss of earnings.....

That's an interesting point! I've never thought of that.

My daughter has just started taking deposits due to no shows and late cancellations but I don't because I have immune deficiency and don't want the risk of clients turning up unwell because they don't want to lose their deposit! I tend to get clients asking to move appointments rather than no shows or last minute cancellations.

Thankyou for all your replies!

Redstar I’ve never really thought about that! I suppose I should think about what would happen if I had to cancel the clients appt!

CFBS yeah it’s been working for me so far, she’s the first client to disagree and say I’m doing it all wrong! She agreed to the patch test and said we “would talk” about the deposit when I do the patch test, I said I still stand firm with my policy. Drove 20 minutes to hers for the patch test, she called me on the way saying she would be running a little bit late and would text me when she was home. I waited an hour for her. In the end I went to my dads and walked his dog with him as he lives in the same town as her! Not a completely wasted journey haha. In the end I messaged her saying “I can’t stay in town much longer, are you going to be home in the next 15 mins” (it was 7:30pm by this point and her patch test was 6pm) and she text saying she didn’t agree with the deposit so didn’t want the patch test

In the end I messaged her saying “I can’t stay in town much longer, are you going to be home in the next 15 mins” (it was 7:30pm by this point and her patch test was 6pm) and she text saying she didn’t agree with the deposit so didn’t want the patch test

It sounds like she deliberately messed you about but at the same time, she’s just proved that you were right all along to insist she pays a deposit if you book her in.

Presumably you give the client a written receipt which includes full details of your terms of booking when you take the deposit payment?

I wouldn't worry about whether to take a deposit or not.

I get a few clients huff and puff, but actually lots of salons take deposits.

For another therapist to treat you and your time so disrespectfully when you've driven over for a patch test is appalling behaviour.

Do you want to take business advice from someone who doesn't even know how to behave like a normal decent human being?

Exactly AcidPerm, if I were to book her in without a deposit, had the patch test but then messed me about on the appointment day, that could have been someone else’s appointment that I would have had to turn away! Yes, I have a little carbon receipt book, 1, for receipts for deposits & the balance for them to pay, and 2, it means at the end of the week I can go through it and transfer all my appointments that week to my incomings book! I always have a few print outs of my t&cs with me but most people just want me to email them to them which I do.

TheDuchess, around here all salons/mobile therapists take a deposit, I thought it was a normal thing haha. Especially as I’m a small, self employed therapist I need to cover myself. This is how I pay my bills but some people just don’t understand that! I love being self employed as I “care” for my partner who is a young stroke survivor (I wouldn’t consider it caring for him as it’s just things I would do anyway to help him!) so being self employed means I can take him to any appointments he has, spend half hour faffing around at the pharmacy because they’ve messed up his prescription, help him out when we have his son at ours etc. If I was employed in a salon I wouldn’t be able to do that as easily if you get what I mean!

I was so annoyed that she wasted my time, especially in the evening on a day I wouldn’t normally work the evening!

So I take a £20 deposit on appointments over £30. This being either a full set of lashes or multiple treatments in one booking. If cancelled within 24 hours it is non-refundable. If it is cancelled prior to the 24 hours, I either refund it or allow the client to carry it over as a deposit for a re-book. On the rare occasion an appointment is over £100 (group bookings or multiple treatments in one appt) I ask for 50% deposit. None of my clients have ever had an issue with this.

I had a lady wanting a full set of lash extensions, gel polish manicure & shape and gel polish on toes. I'm looking at £105 and 3 hours of my time. I said I would need to do a patch test for lashes at least 48 hours beforehand, and would require 50% deposit to book her appointment. She questioned why I wanted a deposit because in her own words "therapists don't take deposits. I'm a therapist and I dont take depsoits, no one does" I explained that I am mobile, self-employed, and if i were to book her in without a deposit and she cancelled last minute, that's an appointment someone else could have had. Because of this, she didn't book in.

Any salon/mobile person I've been to, I've paid a deposit. I've spoken to a couple of friends who have been in the industry a while now, and they've all said its standard to take a deposit and my policy regarding deposits seems fair enough. I was just wondering what other people's deposit policy is and if you think there is anything I could improve in my deposit policy!

Yes I always do a deposit, if they can’t afford a fiver they can’t afford the treatment.

Just on this subject I am a new salon and I take well not a deposit because apparently you cant call it that as they can demand their money back. I call it a non refundable booking fee and tell them that they need to pay this in order to secure their booking with me. I do need to tighten up on this as I had a good client and friend that cancelled out to colour appointment on the day of her appointment and I should have taking a booking fee as it was a lot of money to miss out on.

Oh yes, really important point. It has to be a non-refundable booking fee. Never a deposit these days....

Latest posts

Back