Taking nail kit abroad/on plane

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesLondon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had ever taken their gel nail kit (or just normal nail kit) abroad with them? I've been asked to do a bride and her bridesmaids nails in Ibiza but haven't travelled on a plane with my kit yet.

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but would hate to get there and have bits taken from me at the airport and gel polish ruined etc as I wouldn't know what to do in Ibiza! Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance :) xx

Check with your airline but I am pretty sure you would NOT be allowed to take your kit on the plane as classed as hazardous goods

xx

I took mine on a Ryanair fight and they took it off me and offered to post it back to my house if I paid (so I did) :(

If you did put it in your actual suitcase (just an eg, not sure if you actually can!) & it went in the hold, quite often they don't put the air con on in there, products could be in -?? Temp, thus ruining them!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't ask here... Phone the airline. They will tell you exactly what is and isn't prohibited. Maybe you can take some polishes carry on and the implements in hold or something. Airline will tell you best anyway. X

Thanks to all of you for your help, really appreciate it! I definitely wouldn't put anything in my hand luggage but will call to ask about putting bits in the hold. Urgh what a nightmare if they don't let me travel with it......! Xx

Like others have said, check with your airline but I'm pretty certain you won't be able to take it in hand luggage.

I've a wedding to go to in Atlanta GA USA and have been asked to paint nails, I've told the brides mother (my friend) what polish I want to use plus extras like top coat etc and she'll get those. I'm just going to take the "safe" things that I like to use.

Karaxxx

Like others have said, check with your airline but I'm pretty certain you won't be able to take it in hand luggage.

I've a wedding to go to in Atlanta GA USA and have been asked to paint nails, I've told the brides mother (my friend) what polish I want to use plus extras like top coat etc and she'll get those. I'm just going to take the "safe" things that I like to use.

Karaxxx

That's a good idea. Only problem is I know they'll all want gels (doubt regular polish will last as it will also be a beach holiday) so my main concern is about acetone and gel nail polish getting damaged in the hold. I've emailed the airline anyway so will update for future reference when I eventually find out!

I'd have thought gel polish would be OK but not sure how it would hold up to the temperature drop as they don't usually heat or pressurise the hold unless there are animals travelling. But acetone is highly flammable and I wouldn't trust it to anywhere on a plane! Again I would be very dubious about how acetone would react in a hold that's not pressurised.

Also would you want to trust your lamp to baggage handlers? I'd be such a shame if you got there and it was broken, or broken on the way back when you need to work here again!

I'd love to know what the airline say, please keep us informed.

Karaxxx

I'd have thought gel polish would be OK but not sure how it would hold up to the temperature drop as they don't usually heat or pressurise the hold unless there are animals travelling. But acetone is highly flammable and I wouldn't trust it to anywhere on a plane! Again I would be very dubious about how acetone would react in a hold that's not pressurised.

Also would you want to trust your lamp to baggage handlers? I'd be such a shame if you got there and it was broken, or broken on the way back when you need to work here again!

I'd love to know what the airline say, please keep us informed.

Karaxxx

I was thinking I could probably take my lamp in hand luggage as they allow electrical items and polishes etc could go in the hold. The temperature is what I'm worrying about! If it was regular polish worst comes to worst I could go buy more but gels aren't as easy to find or purchase... Hmm lots to think about! I'm sure there's a solution though, I doubt I'm the first beauty therapist to travel with my kit!!! Will keep you updated :) xxx

Mine went in the hold and was fine, I bubble wrapped and then wrapped that in a towel.

Sent from the catphone

I have traveled with my nail kit, but I have a smaller (cheap!) LED lamp that I use for traveling because I don't want to risk my precious OPI lamp in either checked or carry-on luggage. I wrap my polishes carefully - individual small zip lock bags inside a gallon zip lock bag. Ditto with my ScrubFresh, NAS 99 and Expert Touch remover. But if I know I can get it at my destination, I often leave them out and buy when I get there - they make such a mess when they leak. All of that goes in a case, which I wrap in bubble wrap and a towel and put in the middle of my bag. Unfortunately, TSA often unwraps it and they never put it back correctly. I have taken to putting a label on the outside of the kit.

Here's what TSA says you can take in checked and carry-on luggage - TSA Permitted and Prohibited Items List

Last edited:
I have traveled with my nail kit, but I have a smaller (cheap!) LED lamp that I use for traveling because I don't want to risk my precious OPI lamp in either checked or carry-on luggage. I wrap my polishes carefully - individual small zip lock bags inside a gallon zip lock bags. Ditto with my ScrubFresh, NAS 99 and Expert Touch remover. But if I know I can get it at my destination, I often leave them out and buy when I get there - they make such a mess when they leak. All of that goes in a case, which I wrap in bubble wrap and a towel and put in the middle of my bag. Unfortunately, TSA often unwraps it and they never put it back correctly. I have taken to putting a label on the outside of the kit.

Here's what TSA says you can take in checked and carry-on luggage - TSA Permitted and Prohibited Items List

Thank you so much!! So so helpful!!

Does anyone know by the off chance if I am ok to take my hair extension pliers and some micro rings abroad in my suitcase at all ? X

Does anyone know by the off chance if I am ok to take my hair extension pliers and some micro rings abroad in my suitcase at all ? X

They are fine in hold luggage but not hand luggage. When I was crew a colleague had her pliers took off her that she took in case she lost any

They are fine in hold luggage but not hand luggage. When I was crew a colleague had her pliers took off her that she took in case she lost any

Thanks Aphrodite26 ! :) it's my first holiday in like years, so was unsure but happy to take in case, as long as I can YEY :D

I travel a lot with a massive kit! It's obvious it isn't stuff to sell but a 'kit' for professional use. The only tiny problem I had was in China when customs decided my litre bottle of acetone was too big so confiscated it. I never take anything in hand luggage though so, even if the kit is small I always check it in.

I travel a lot with a massive kit! It's obvious it isn't stuff to sell but a 'kit' for professional use. The only tiny problem I had was in China when customs decided my litre bottle of acetone was too big so confiscated it. I never take anything in hand luggage though so, even if the kit is small I always check it in.

Amazing! So acetone in the hold is absolutely fine then? Obviously I'll double check with the airline but it's good to know it won't explode or anything!! And will just wrap everything else very carefully as everyone else has said :)

Latest posts

Back