Taking on self employed staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Obviously I can't make any self employed stylist use the same products as me.

But could I somehow put in the contract saying I would prefer you to use the same products as me. These can be purchased through me at £5 a colour client or purchased yourself. But please keep in mind that storage is limited.

Could I also say its recommended to have a booking system. This may be easier if arranged through me, via the company I already use.

Also, I'm hoping to meet with a few stylists in the next few weeks. Just for an informal chat.

What sort of things would you ask?

A couple of things to consider... Are you renting out the space just for an extra income? The reason I ask is because if your not currently booked out 24/7 yourself you really need the clients that come through your door! you are inevitably going to have to share the clients that walk in, if your doing a client & another walks in it won't be a matter of asking them to wait 5 mins till you've finished & then you get the client & the money, it will be that the client goes to your new stylist who's sat there twiddling her thumbs, the client then becomes theirs, that's a hard pill to swallow I hate that. :mad:

I'd make them get their own phone number so that they don't jump on YOUR shop phone when it rings thus loosing you another customer!

A chair renter dosent realistically need a booking system there's nothing wrong with a book, pushing a new business owner into things like that will seem OTT, my chair renters think I'm nuts paying good money out for mine... Their not as business minded as me tho :)

Why have the same product lines? Me & my renter don't, our clients are very different and like different things. We came from different salon backgrounds, I couldn't work with the products she uses & she has no clue how to work with mine, also a thought, if your buying 2 cans of hairspray (just for example) that recipt goes through your books, you sell one to her for £5 (cost price I assume) your not making anything on it, why bother I wonder? Couldn't they get their own account and put it through their own business? If storage is so limited maybe you'd be better off giving commission to sell your products?

Renters always say all the right things in an interview, they have a client base etc but it's very rarely as they say, a few family members is not a client base. Ideally you need a mobile stylist who can't cope with the travelling between clients because their too busy! Or like in my case they pinched a load of numbers from the last salon they worked in! :eek:

I think if you respect their business you should let them run it as they see fit, not try to bend it all around what you want it to be like, it's hard enough trying to work with someone new if they feel your trying to take control of their business in any way it could cause friction.

I rented beauty out on a weekly rent after Xmas in 2014 & the lady was hardly ever there, her perogative I inow but it drove me nuts! And there was nothing I could do about it except explain when she moaned about money the reason her takings were so shit was because she was never there & perhaps she should come in more, it went down like a bucket of rocks & she left soon after :rolleyes:

My current nail lady does exactly as she pleases as does my stylist, I never interfere in their businesses unless they ask me. We work brilliantly that way

Agree with all the above.
I prefer to employ....BUT....it costs sooo much, and can end sooo badly! :oops:
Self employed DO-IT-THEMSELVES......THEIR WAY.:p
If you want ANY control, you just have to bite the bullet, and employ. :cool:

I'm not in a position to employ. At all.

Although I'm not fully booked 100% of the time. I'm pretty busy. However. It's usually when I'm busy I get a lot of walk ins. And lots of these won't wait. Or book on a different day. They do take a card.

I'm going away for nearly two weeks in September and I want/need another stylist there. Even if it's just so the salon isn't shut the whole time.

It's really tricky because from experience, no salons near me work how HMRC require. Money is taken centrally. Prices are all created by the salon. Products/colours supplied by salon.

One of the people who's interested currently works in another salon part time and wanted to have the two along side each other?

It doesn't matter if other salons in your area are not operating the way you know you should. Set an example and do it properly by just being a landlord - there may be quite a few people looking for the correct set up in your area but not willing to work the way all the other salons are set up. If you don't do it properly and you get reported then YOU will be the one HMRC go after not the self employed therapist you have rented to.

You can.....
1) Rent at a set rent - where you know you will get that amount every week regardless of if they work or not & let them run their business how they want under your roof.
2) Rent at a percentage - where you take 60/40 (60% going to the person buying the products - so you could have a say in what brands they use) but if they don't work you don't get paid & they run their business how they want from under your roof.
3) Rent at percentage for a set time then switch to set rent - Start on a percent split so the therapist can build a client base then after a set time (2/3/6 months or whatever) you switch to an agreed set rent so you both know what is due & when and they run their business how they want from under your roof.

As for you going away in September and wanting someone you take in as self employed to cover you - that's not totally realistic unfortunately, because a self employed therapist can open or close whenever they want without your permission and therefore they could choose to go away or just not open and there is nothing you can do about that.

My opinion on the person interested in splitting time between salons - If they want to move to you and build a client base that is fine but I wouldn't want them working at another local salon (I would think it would be a big conflict of interest if they are self employed with you but part time employed at other salon).

Hi I run my own salon with myself plus 2 employed and 2 self employed . Regardless of there self employed status they still work in my salon so for them to work in my space they still have rules..... My salon has a good reputation for everything I use so they have to use the same as the salon they are representing . Look after them as if they are employed but without the employment hassle x

Hi I run my own salon with myself plus 2 employed and 2 self employed . Regardless of there self employed status they still work in my salon so for them to work in my space they still have rules..... My salon has a good reputation for everything I use so they have to use the same as the salon they are representing . Look after them as if they are employed but without the employment hassle x
Just out of curiosity, what rules?

Just in general just because they are self employed does not mean they can do what they want in your salon. They have to have a key so they can come and go as they please. But they have to respect my business and its reputation

Good rule to have lol, my renter is a messy bugger at the best of times but when I went away for a week in August last year my renter continued trading.... It was like a bomb and a burglar had been in and trashed the place when I got back! The fausty smell from the dirty towels took my breath away when I walked in through the door & the front shutter had been down the whole week! I had people ringing me asking if I'd closed down for good! That was after I re charged the shop phone for 3 days because it was completely flat from not being put back on the base once all week :mad:

Good rule to have lol, my renter is a messy bugger at the best of times but when I went away for a week in August last year my renter continued trading.... It was like a bomb and a burglar had been in and trashed the place when I got back! The fausty smell from the dirty towels took my breath away when I walked in through the door & the front shutter had been down the whole week! I had people ringing me asking if I'd closed down for good! That was after I re charged the shop phone for 3 days because it was completely flat from not being put back on the base once all week :mad:

Jees how lazy of her!! I'd have had words with her. How disrespectful.

On the question of being employed part time in salon and working s.e in another, what if salon you are employed in is in another town? Say 10-12 miles away?

Jees how lazy of her!! I'd have had words with her. How disrespectful.

On the question of being employed part time in salon and working s.e in another, what if salon you are employed in is in another town? Say 10-12 miles away?
We regularly have words!
I think as long as your not poaching clients from the employed salon it shouldn't be a problem :)

We regularly have words!
I think as long as your not poaching clients from the employed salon it shouldn't be a problem :)

Clients Def won't travel out of city!

How do you go about charging/encouraging them to use the same things as you use?

Mine too… It drives me nuts…

Rules like, just be professional, don't swear and act inappropriately in front of clients, keep your area clean and tidy, turn up for appointments that are booked in and be there on time. Just keep the reputation that has taken so long to build, to the standard that you have set it. They are self employed, but they are working under the name of our salons, and wouldn't have the majority of their clientele without that reputation. One bad experience from an unprofessional stylist or therapist and they vote with their feet, whether the stylist/therapist is employed or not. Very often the clients don't know or care if they are self employed or not, they just want to be treated the same way by every member of staff.

Latest posts

Back